News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My Winged 71 Cuda Project

Started by Cuda Hunter, September 05, 2008, 07:19:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuda Hunter

I was told that I needed to post this pic.  It is the avatar over at CC.com of which I am a member of.  This is what I am up to currently.  This is something that I have been dreaming of for many a year and I have finally dedicated my time to creating this.  There might be a few small changes but this is pretty much what I want to do.  I can't afford a big hemi so I plan on picking up someones wrecked truck motor like a 5.7 and stuffing it inside.  Get a Viper 6 speed tremec and putting it behind a hemi.  Dana 60 the rear and try to make the car more of a  G-car since I live up in the mountains and very much enjoy driving way too fast on long canyon roads.  

The second picture is my friends car that is a 67 barrracuda.  It has a stroked 383 and has an original, unmodified Superbird wing on it.  I helped on the installation and I also helped strip the colors of paint off of the wing.  It was a black wing originally.  
 The wing came from a car that he picked up in Arizona a long time ago.  It was mentioned to him that the wing came from a police superbird.  After much research, I have found a very little amount of information on the winged cop car.  Sure enough, there was one, and I do mean one.  It has been found and the wing is missing.  It has rested in a storage lot in New Mexico right next to the Arizona border.  The lady who owned the car wouldn't let it go for the life of her since it was her Xhusbands car and she didn't want it to ever make it back to him.  Anyway, it looks cool and is probably a little functional.  

Opinions????

BMOTOXSTAR

73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

hotrod98

That's a cool looking ride. I mentioned to you that I borrowed the pic a few weeks back and posted it over here. Got a few thumbs up on the car. You never know. I might turn one of my cars into a supercuda some day.  ;D

Keep us posted on the progress.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Charger_Fan

Quote from: dads_69 on September 05, 2008, 08:54:39 PM
Wow, it's seeing cars like that cuda make me NOT want to build a wing car.
You forgot to tell him his Momma's ugly. :nana:

I like the '71, looks like it could be cool. Now that '67 on the other hand... :o

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Cuda Hunter

It's alright, I already figured I would get a cold reception from some people.  It's all good.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. 

hotrod98

While I own and build wingcar clones, I will admit that I like cudas without the wing a little better. Just my opinion and I'm not trying to change your dream.
I'm collecting parts to build a driver quality 70 Barracuda.  Most of my cars are just too nice to park in the Wal-Mart parking lot and I would like to own at least one car that I feel like I can just get in and drive or park anywhere. I would seriously consider building something similar to what you are thinking about building.

No gills, no louvers, 70 style grille, black interior, 5.9 with A518 overdrive tranny. I was thinking about using my 5.7 hemi, 5-speed, but I need to save it for my wife's superbird clone.

Here's how I would think about completing my 70. I'll just use a bunch of parts that I have lying around. Sort of a hodge podge car so to speak. As long as I don't dip into my stash of parts that I have stored for my 71 Cuda.  ;D

Charles Addams

PocketThunder

Quote from: hotrod98 on September 06, 2008, 12:32:21 AM
While I own and build wingcar clones, I will admit that I like cudas without the wing a little better. Just my opinion and I'm not trying to change your dream.
I'm collecting parts to build a driver quality 70 Barracuda.  Most of my cars are just too nice to park in the Wal-Mart parking lot and I would like to own at least one car that I feel like I can just get in and drive or park anywhere. I would seriously consider building something similar to what you are thinking about building.

No gills, no louvers, 70 style grille, black interior, 5.9 with A518 overdrive tranny. I was thinking about using my 5.7 hemi, 5-speed, but I need to save it for my wife's superbird clone.

Here's how I would think about completing my 70. I'll just use a bunch of parts that I have lying around. Sort of a hodge podge car so to speak. As long as I don't dip into my stash of parts that I have stored for my 71 Cuda.  ;D

:iamwithstupid:  Everything looks good except for the wing....   :Twocents:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

BigBlockSam

big willey had a winged cuda, i hear it's sitting in backyard till this date . yo hotrod ! you know i luv ya. finish one project . i wanna see your daytona , or your bird , or your winged cuda,  or something finished .  :D
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Brock Samson

I like it.. and I like the idea of a pikes peak type hillclimber type car.
Good luck with your dream and welcome to the site...  :2thumbs:

nakita7

Normally, I hate wings on anything other than, well, a Wingcar, but I think the 71 looks cool. Go for it!

pettybird

Quote from: Cuda Hunter on September 05, 2008, 07:19:54 PM
has an original, unmodified Superbird wing on it.    It was a black wing originally.  

O rly?

I don't get the fascination with the Dana rear in G machine use.  it's a shit ton heavier than an 8 3/4, and a 5.7 hemi won't break either.  I'm either putting a T5 manual or an A500 auto behind the '04 5.7 I picked up in my car.  the T5 is really, really cheap compared to the T56 or TKO units.  I'm keeping my 8.75 rear with 3.55's in it. 

hotrod98

i wanna see your daytona , or your bird , or your winged cuda,  or something finished . 

The daytona will be finished before I start on either of the other two projects.
It's just with parts getting harder to find, I want to gather up the stuff for the future projects while I still can.
Waiting until the last minute could be both costly and time consuming.  :yesnod:

Charles Addams

Blown70

CH good to see you post up.  Its a fickle bunch sometimes on the board here :nana:,  I dont think some of them wake up liking themselves  :shruggy: :slap:

I like the car in the photo with the wing on it....  :2thumbs:

Thanks for posting up

Tom

SFRT

that little Cuda looks tough as hell. I love it.
Always Drive Responsibly

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

WingCharger

You know, I actually like the winged '67. If I found one before a charger, maybe? :scratchchin:

I like the RamCharger scoop too.

NYCMille

Dude... that thing is BADASS!! I love it!!

Break the mold Brotha'! Break the mold!

hotrod98

Just for grins, I went out and measured one of my superbird wings from center to center on the base and then measured one of my cudas where the wing would sit.
Looks like the horizontal blade will have to be shortened two inches to make the bird wing fit the cuda.
Hmmmmm?  :scratchchin: I wonder what my ratrod cuda would look like with that steel bird wing on there.
I wasn't planning on using the steel wing on the bird clone anyway. I have a real bird wing for that project.

Charles Addams

BigBlockSam

do it bro. i would luv to see that car built. unique for sure. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

WingCharger

Quote from: hotrod98 on September 06, 2008, 03:43:33 PM
Just for grins, I went out and measured one of my superbird wings from center to center on the base and then measured one of my cudas where the wing would sit.
Looks like the horizontal blade will have to be shortened two inches to make the bird wing fit the cuda.
Hmmmmm?  :scratchchin: I wonder what my ratrod cuda would look like with that steel bird wing on there.
I wasn't planning on using the steel wing on the bird clone anyway. I have a real bird wing for that project.

DO IT!!-DO IT!!-DO IT!!-DO IT!!-DO IT!!-DO IT!!-DO IT!! :coolgleamA: :coolgleamA:

Hey Cuda Hunter, is your friends wing Barracuda B5 Blue?

BMOTOXSTAR

I think a wing on a 3rd gen Charger would be sweet. :Twocents:
I would do it to mine if I could find a wing for a fair price. That would be really cool. Make it your own, that is what I say. :P
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

Fitz73Chrgr

'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

Cuda Hunter

I had said a dana 60 but that is simply because I havn't played with one of those yet and hear they are tough.  I am not dedicated to that though. 8 3/4 is far more easy to find and cheaper to use.

My friends wing is originally a black wing.  He didn't chop the horizontal though.  Looks fine. 

I wouldn't chop an original but a reman would be fine to chop up the horizontal. 

Thanks for measuring that horizontal.  I have measured the verticals and they seem to be the same as the superbird.

Thanks for the comments guys, I am trying to break the mold, Matter of a fact, I do not do well with molds, or rules for that matter. 

BROCK

Cuda Hunter,
As for your rear axle choice:  Think unsprung weight!  The 8.75 is lighter & will withstand anything the tranny you chose will.

=============================================
Let your music be in transit to the world

69bronzeT5

has an original, unmodified Superbird wing on it.  It was a black wing originally.  
 The wing came from a car that he picked up in Arizona a long time ago.  It was mentioned to him that the wing came from a police superbird.  After much research, I have found a very little amount of information on the winged cop car.  Sure enough, there was one, and I do mean one.  It has been found and the wing is missing.  It has rested in a storage lot in New Mexico right next to the Arizona border. 

Are me and pettybird the only ones who caught that...... :scratchchin:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

WingCharger

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on September 13, 2008, 01:36:00 PM
has an original, unmodified Superbird wing on it.  It was a black wing originally.  
 The wing came from a car that he picked up in Arizona a long time ago.  It was mentioned to him that the wing came from a police superbird.  After much research, I have found a very little amount of information on the winged cop car.  Sure enough, there was one, and I do mean one.  It has been found and the wing is missing.  It has rested in a storage lot in New Mexico right next to the Arizona border. 

Maybe the cops painted it black, and the car was white? :eyes:

69bronzeT5

Quote from: WingCharger on September 13, 2008, 01:37:33 PM

Thats not what I mean ::). There's a story behind that police Superbird that has been talked about a few times here.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

WingCharger

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on September 13, 2008, 01:41:06 PM
Quote from: WingCharger on September 13, 2008, 01:37:33 PM

Thats not what I mean ::). There's a story behind that police Superbird that has been talked about a few times here.

Found the thread, but pictures are gone. What went on?

Cuda Hunter

Please list the thread as I would love to read it.  Very interested in any information that may arise.

Thanks. 

WingCharger

Quote from: Cuda Hunter on September 14, 2008, 11:12:59 PM
Please list the thread as I would love to read it.  Very interested in any information that may arise.

Thanks. 

Here ya go :2thumbs::
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,33764.0.html

Cuda Hunter

Thanks for the link.  Not too much info there but some intersting reading.  I pm'd the guy with the pics that were erased to see if I could get those pics again.  Would love to have more info on that car.  But I am sure I am not alone on that matter.

WingCharger

Hey Cuda Hunter, in return for the favor, can you tell me if you buddies 'Cuda with the wing is B5 Blue? :coolgleamA:

Cuda Hunter

I willl ask what color that is exactly.  I know it is the original paint that is on the car!  Get back with ya soon.