News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

hemigeno's Daytona restoration - a few more tweaks... again!

Started by hemigeno, November 27, 2006, 09:20:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemigeno

OK, I did a little more research, and it appears that the brake shoes that are on Jay's car are not originals because the linings are riveted to the shoes.  The original brake linings were bonded/adhered to the shoe rather than riveted.  The rest of the details look to be accurate, and whomever it was that replaced the shoes took the time to put the original (round) drum retainers back on.  I was thinking to myself that there was an awful lot of meat left on those brake linings for them to be originals...

One of the things that may have happened with a lot of back-in-the-day owners is that they could have forgotten or not known to adjust the brakes.  When the car doesn't stop correctly, then they took it to their local stealership or repair shop who was glad to sell them a complete brake job rather than just adjust the brakes out to make them snug.

Quote from: maxwellwedge on March 16, 2009, 04:56:34 PM
The Nats judges have not removed wheels in a few years (not when I went through with my car) now but I (and I know you too) feel better just knowing the stuff is there. The original drum retainers are round.

I'm with you Jim, even if they don't take the drum off I'd rather know that as many correct parts as can be obtained are installed.  It depends on how tough it is to remove those retainers as to whether I'd be worried if they re-instituted the practice of removing wheels.  Either way, we'll try to have all the bases covered.

Oh, and thanks for the adjuster comparison pictures, Troy!  :2thumbs:  I looked back at the hardware pictures, and it appears that Vance has installed a new or refinished set of adjusters with the knurled base.

The '69 Dealer Data Book has this to say about brakes:

The standard drum brakes on Charger Six are 10" x 2-1/2" front and 10" x 1-3/4" rear.  The Standard drum brakes on Charger V-8 are 10" x 2-1/2" front and rear.  These are not available on Charger R/T, which has 11" x 3" in the front and 11" x 2-1/2" in the rear as standard - manually adjustable and with heavy-duty axles only - optional at extra cost on Charger.  The brake linings are bonded which means more lining area and longer lining life because there is no need for rivet holes.

hemi68charger

Quote from: hemigeno on March 17, 2009, 11:00:27 AM

Oh, and thanks for the adjuster comparison pictures, Troy!  :2thumbs:  I looked back at the hardware pictures, and it appears that Vance has installed a new or refinished set of adjusters with the knurled base.

You're welcome.. I'm thinking of taking the originals with me when I get a lot of my front end components replated in zinc phosphate. Then, I'll reinstall them later to have to originals on the '68....
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

WINGMAN

Yes Geno my shoes look to good to be OEM  but why did some one put the retaining washers back on and also they had no damage to them i had a hard time removeing them  and most people just rip them off. They are still on the left side. Who knows what went on with them in years past. :icon_smile_question:   Jay.
69 Daytona XX29L9B409032 , 02 Ram Cummins,

hemi68charger

Quote from: WINGMAN on March 17, 2009, 05:28:23 PM
   Yes Geno my shoes look to good to be OEM  but why did some one put the retaining washers back on and also they had no damage to them i had a hard time removeing them  and most people just rip them off. They are still on the left side. Who knows what went on with them in years past. :icon_smile_question:   Jay.

Hey Jay..
Maybe they were as anal as I am.. I carefully took off my retaining washers off my '98 Ram SS/T when I changed out the rear brake shoes for the very first and only time.. Once you get them to start into the threads, they will unscrew. I just screwed them back on...

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

hemigeno

Well, the car is finally red!   :ricky: :musik010: :boogie:

On Saturday, I took more than a few pictures of the car, just couldn't get enough of that R4 red color...  Vance has painted the car with a base color coat, and then a final color coat that has the proper orange peel effect.  He really hadn't done anything to the car for a couple of days when I saw it, letting the paint cure out completely.  There are still a few areas that he'll be addressing which aren't up to his superb standards, but in his words "the hard part is done".

Enjoy...

hemigeno

More eye candy...

hemigeno

I asked Vance how he normally does the blackout on the tailpanel, and obviously he's planning to spray the black organosol after the body.  There are different schools of thought on this, and I honestly thought he'd be spraying the tailpanel and then masking it off.  He can always go back and add a little bit of red overspray at the edges of the black for the proper effect.  I'm not worried about it looking correct when it's all said and done, but some of you guys might be wondering what's up...

hemigeno

The last two pictures are the antenna bezel, which was installed when the Daytona fenders were painted at Creative Industries.  Vance was making sure that there was a little bit of overspray on the bezel/gasket where the guys at C.I. would not have masked things off just absolutely perfectly.

Also, Vance looked at the two NOS antenna bezels I had supplied and decided not to use either of them.  He pointed out that they looked like they'd had a belt sander run across the top face of the bezel, leaving a slight texture & lines.  I hadn't bothered to look or compare them, but he was right.  Thankfully, he still had a perfect one in his parts stash  :bow:

hemigeno

The first picture shows the grille screen.  The hood scoops were not installed when the fender was painted, but the screen was normally in place (it was spot-welded so they didn't want to screw up the paint).

The last picture shows the rivinuts that I was able to find.  Vance had a few NOS/original ones, and I scrounged around and found a vendor who still stocks them.  A phone call and 3 days later, Vance got a box of 100 of 'em delivered.  Again, these were in place when the nosecone paint was done.  What looks like overspray on the inside of the nose really isn't - it's just dust from sanding operations (he had the grille opening masked off).  There will be some overspray applied later, but that's another step for another day.

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

hemigeno

The middle two pictures are of the right headlight pods/bucket.  You can see that the headlamps and trim rings are installed, but the masking didn't cover the whole trim ring.  Lots of overspray on the mounting flanges and hardware, and you can see the primer showing at the bottom of the headlight pod and back inside the bucket.  Creative didn't necessarily use masking tape, but they did have something that resembled a shower cap that protected the headlamps from overspray.  Tape still works though.

The last picture is one of several I took of the masking applied at various hood/nose seals.  Vance was just starting to pull the tape off when I got there, so a few pictures show the tape prior to removal.  The front clip was painted all assembled and on the car, just like Creative did it...

hemigeno

Daytona R/T SE

Geno, All I can say is H-O-L-Y   S-H-H-H.....oops...WOW!  :2thumbs:

The car is looking great! :2thumbs:

We're not WORTHY!

:notworthy:

:faint:

hemigeno

Thanks Chris!!

I know you're getting pumped to see some B5 sprayed out too, so we'll get to drool over your pictures soon enough. 

hemigeno

These are some pictures of the left headlight area.  Same details are evident here as on the passenger's side.  The somewhat light spray on that site is our own replication of a Creative Industries gaffe.  Creative made sure that the outer part of the headlight door was decent enough (the doors were in the closed position for at least part of the nosecone's painting operation), but none of the doors/pods I've seen ever displayed perfect paint coverage on the inside surfaces.

hemigeno

The first pic shows the nosecone seal all masked off.  The second picture is of the turn signal bezel.  This was installed in the hood when the paint work was done, but we do not believe the block off plates (or the turn signal lenses, as the case may be) were in place based on what Vance has seen.  After all the pictures I took of 414619/DocTona, you'd think I would have taken one of the bezels to confirm what Vance remembers on other cars... 'course not...   :brickwall:

Magnumcharger

Wow...it sure is red! And lots of authentic looking orange peel in that paintjob too.
Actually looks very dry on top of the left rear fender.
Now I'm guessing this was all done with an eye towards replicating not only the factory's handiwork, but that of Creative Industries?
Am I right?
Or will Vance be taping off a section of the roof and the front end to replicate a re-spray?
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

hemigeno

The second picture in this batch shows that Vance had installed the marker/reflector bezels in the quarterpanel.  He's actually going to take these out, strip them down, and re-paint them.  I have photos of the original rear bezels showing that the passenger's side was B5 blue underneath the black paint, while the driver's side was T5 copper before being sprayed to match the stripe color.  A little bit of this Hamtramck-applied paint will bleed through the housings onto the mounting brackets which are visible from the trunk, so he's going to clean everything up and re-do them with the other color before painting them black over the top of that.  Plus, the stripe-color paint was applied after they somewhat-carefully masked off the marker reflector lens.  You can usually tell what color the original bezel was around the edges of an original bezel, and he'll try to replicate that look again.

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

hemigeno

Quote from: Magnumcharger on March 26, 2009, 06:02:45 PM
Wow...it sure is red! And lots of authentic looking orange peel in that paintjob too.
Actually looks very dry on top of the left rear fender.
Now I'm guessing this was all done with an eye towards replicating not only the factory's handiwork, but that of Creative Industries?
Am I right?
Or will Vance be taping off a section of the roof and the front end to replicate a re-spray?

Robin, the top of that left rear quarter will have to be addressed, and Vance was already aware of that.  I was asking him about some things related to how Creative painted, like whether the cowl would actually end up being a slightly different texture and/or color from the hood - since the hood was installed in primer and the cowl was factory-painted at Hamtramck with different material and cured in a heat oven.  Vance said that the majority of these cars were painted again by Creative, including the cowl area.  Some cars had the whole roof re-sprayed, some did not.  About the only "optional" exterior bodypanels for respray on a Daytona are the rocker panels, doors and maybe the front of the roof - but only if they could blend things in really well which probably wasn't the case.  I don't think he intends to have any of the body panels that appear masked off or blended in, simply because many of the cars got a complete re-paint job courtesy of Creative Industries.

Vance is definitely replicating as much as he can from Creative's finished product/look, even if the process steps he is taking do differ from theirs.

hemigeno

Quote from: mikepmcs on March 26, 2009, 06:09:02 PM
This is incredible.  Thanks for sharing. :popcrn:

:cheers: :cheers: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Thanks, Mike!  Some of the pictures get a little repetitive, but as I go through them I can usually pick out some details worth mentioning.  Still, I'll probably never get tired of "seeing red" this way...

Quote from: UFO on March 26, 2009, 06:18:44 PM
WOOHOO  :2thumbs: looking good.

Thanks, Brian! 

hemigeno

The last three pictures are of the fender-to-nosecone seal after the masking had been removed.  I tried and tried to find a manufacturer willing to work with me on replicating Goodyear's butt splice of the original '70 Charger seal material.  In the end, David Patik gave us some really good advice on how to refurbish the original seals, and they turned out absolutely fantastic.  You can see the faint outline of overspray where the masking tape was intentionally left less-than-perfect.  Just like good ol' Creative did things...

hemigeno

The second picture shows the lower valance and radiator yoke area, which got good-but-not-great paint coverage.  Any blackout that happened to be on the lower part of the radiator yoke usually got covered up this way.  The third picture is the lower seal between the nosecone and lower valance - this area was left unmasked and my original looked exactly like this does.  Those two rivet-looking things near the center of the valance are the rivets which hold down one of the rubber air deflector seals.  These were all in place when the paintwork was done, so the bottom of the rivets would have been painted up just like this.  I didn't take a picture of it, but there's probably a slight shadow effect behind the rivet, where the paint spray was partially shielded.

The last picture shows the hood-to-nosecone seal corner.  If you notice, this seal is put in off center, meaning that the seal is REALLY close on the driver's side, but an earlier picture in this batch shows it is gapoosed pretty wide on the passenger's side.  Several months back in this thread I posted pictures of the nosecone's original punched (not drilled) holes which were re-used to mount this new seal.  Vance still has to install one last rivet on this end of the seal, as you can see the seal is pulled away from the nosecone just a bit.  It'll look just fine once that last rivet is installed.  Again, we're putting things back as close as we know how to the way it was sent out the door from Creative Industries.