News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

hemigeno's Daytona restoration - a few more tweaks... again!

Started by hemigeno, November 27, 2006, 09:20:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemigeno

Quote from: maxwellwedge on May 07, 2009, 08:52:14 PM
Funny how the J-nuts are positioned in that picture. Most I have seen are positioned "slid-in" to the edge which is how they are designed to work. Disco is identical to the way yours are. Cool.

To be honest, I had forgotten how the originals were done - but after I read your reply it was time to look through the photos.  Sure enough, that's how my originals were installed.  Vance just put mine back the way they were.  Seems kinda dumb though, as you can see by the marks on the metal how they spin when tightened up.   :slap:

maxwellwedge

hemigeno

Quote from: maxwellwedge on May 07, 2009, 09:02:35 PM
It's dumb, it's stupid, it's nuts - it's a Daytona!

Sad, but oh-so-true...   :lol:

More nosecone shots from inside the engine compartment

maxwellwedge

hemigeno

Here's where the floor/body pan shots start.  Jim, I'm sure you're interested to see how Vance did the primer effect.  Unfortunately, he wasn't able to replicate the shriveled-up drip look that you've said you guys have mastered.  Vance wanted to stick with the materials that he knows and trusts for the applications.  I did bug him about trying to replicate that look, and he did at least attempt.  The problem is, he had already thinned out the material way more than the manufacturer recommended, and still had a dickens of a time getting the silly stuff to bead up into drips to begin with.

At any rate, I won't have the EXACT same look as the factory's baked-on drips... just the drips themselves.

hemigeno

Quote from: maxwellwedge on May 07, 2009, 09:08:43 PM
Here's the clip on Disco.

Yep, that looks familiar... here's my original shot

hemigeno

When you get a moment, throw me a bone and snap off a picture of how DocTona's drips look now.  I already know how they used to look  :D

maxwellwedge

Doc has longer clips slid under the edge......can't find a pic  :icon_smile_dissapprove:

70Sbird

Geno,
All I can say is WOW!
:drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:

You've probably answered this before but when do you hope to have the car back together again?
Looking great so far.
:2thumbs:
Scott

Scott Faulkner

maxwellwedge

Quote from: hemigeno on May 07, 2009, 09:14:55 PM
When you get a moment, throw me a bone and snap off a picture of how DocTona's drips look now.  I already know how they used to look  :D

Gene - only painting the exterior - leaving all that stuff alone.

hemigeno

Quote from: 70Sbird on May 07, 2009, 09:15:40 PM
You've probably answered this before but when do you hope to have the car back together again?

Thank you very much, Scott!  

To answer your question though, I honestly don't know.  The biggest hurdle that I'm sure will come up during the balance of the restoration will be some part or parts that are needed, I don't have, haven't yet REALIZED I don't have, and can't come up with on short notice...

:brickwall:

Last year I had made preliminary arrangements to have the car at Carlisle for the SME judging, and the OEGold event at the 'Nats in August.  Both of those events are probably out now, if for no other reason than I don't want to jump through all the hoops required to enter those judged events without knowing for certain that the car is done.  It will probably make its debut at either the Monster Mopar show (sorta my "home" event anyway) or at the DSAC meet in Talladega.  Either would be fine with me.

hemigeno

Quote from: maxwellwedge on May 07, 2009, 09:16:28 PM

Gene - only painting the exterior - leaving all that stuff alone.

Gotcha.  It certainly didn't NEED messed with.  I just remembered you talking about trying to perfect the streaked look and thought you had mentioned perfecting the shriveled drips too.  You have the perfect pattern to work from, that's for sure...

hemigeno

More underbody shots.  This is where all that work Vance's guys did in filling/sanding down the edges of the pans, braces, and all the other flat surfaces really pays off.  Then we go and yuk it up with overspray and drippy primer... :lol:

hemigeno

More "down below" shots

hemigeno

The first three shots are of the rocker panel area, which hasn't yet received it's (gloss black, right Jim?) blackout treatment just yet.  Normally, that treatment would extend all the way forward past the fender bolts and flange.  A Daytona's blackout treatment isn't found on the fender bolts or flanges, as that sheet metal wasn't installed until after arriving at Creative Industries.

hemigeno

More of the underside

70Sbird

It will probably make its debut at either the Monster Mopar show (sorta my "home" event anyway) or at the DSAC meet in Talladega.  Either would be fine with me.

I'll look forward to seeing it as I'm planning on going to both this year.
I remember checking out your hauler last year at MMW and already decided that it is probably more detailed than any of my cars will be!
I wish you luck, I have the dash and lower control arms out of my 'Bird as we speak, and am getting worried about getting it all back together! :P
Keep up the good work, and keep the pictures coming!

Scott Faulkner

hemigeno

:whistling:

hemigeno

Quote from: 70Sbird on May 07, 2009, 09:37:05 PM

I'll look forward to seeing it as I'm planning on going to both this year.
I remember checking out your hauler last year at MMW and already decided that it is probably more detailed than any of my cars will be!
I wish you luck, I have the dash and lower control arms out of my 'Bird as we speak, and am getting worried about getting it all back together! :P
Keep up the good work, and keep the pictures coming!

:lol:  The truck gets more looks and/or attention than anything I have ever owned, except for the time I brought this Daytona (unrestored of course) to the MMW. 

I know what you're saying about getting stuff done.  My R/T was down all winter after the speedometer started acting funny - and then we broke a wheel stud changing out the steelies back to the 15x8 Magnums .  Just got it back on the road after only 5 months of downtime for two fairly simple repairs...  Speedy Gonzales I am not...

hemigeno

The last two pictures are the spot welds still visible in the rear wheelwell from the decklid hinge support bracket.  It just looked cool to me, but I'm easily entertained too...

hemigeno

hemigeno

hemigeno

:blahblah:

hemigeno

:paintingpink: