News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

hemigeno's Daytona restoration - a few more tweaks... again!

Started by hemigeno, November 27, 2006, 09:20:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemigeno

:pushup:

hemigeno

:sleep:

hemigeno

:image_294343:

hemigeno

OK, enough of the underbody stuff...   :horse:   :lol:

hemigeno

These pics (last of the batch this time around) are of the door bottom blackout treatment, with the very last one being the door jamb/pillar treatment on the inside.

That's all for now... *whew*

FJ5WING

:o

you realize the rest of us doing restos are going to be held up to your standard of documentation.  :icon_smile_blackeye:

just wanna give everyone a heads up................not happening here. Ill do my best but it wont be like this.
wingless now, but still around.

PocketThunder

Quote from: FJ5WING on May 07, 2009, 10:41:40 PM

you realize the rest of us doing restos are going to be held up to your standard of documentation.  :icon_smile_blackeye:

just wanna give everyone a heads up................not happening here. Ill do my best but it wont be like this.

Thats my first thought..   :-\
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

hemi68charger

GENO !!!!!  All I can say is "WOW" !!!!!!    The 'Tona's looking great..............
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

hemigeno

Quote from: PocketThunder on May 08, 2009, 12:22:53 AM

Well, here's what has prompted me to shoot for this level of documentation...

> This is my first concours-level restoration
> I love soaking up all the intricate details - especially when it comes to Aero/Daytona-specific stuff
> My memory stinks, so if I didn't photo-document and put the narrative with it while the details are fresh in my mind, I'm apt to forget a bunch of stuff
> Posting the pictures and narrative helps others learn some of those same details
> I've kicked myself a bunch of times for not taking even more pictures than I did of the car before it was restored, and didn't want to have the same regrets after the resto was done - and the majority of these pictures couldn't be taken after-the-fact
> When the whole process is done, I'll be able to put together a pretty thorough pictoral history of the car's restoration which would help in the (hopefully unlikely) event I ever needed to sell the car
> I thoroughly enjoy looking at others' restoration threads like Allen's, CornDog's, Troy H.'s, etc., whether they're Aerocars or not
> I figured being a Moderator 'round here pretty well obligated me to do more than cursory updates
> Danny still puts me to shame with documentation, he just doesn't post nearly every picture he takes

There's no threshhold being set (by me, anyway) for documenting a restoration.  Trust me, I know how much work it is to keep a restoration thread documented to this degree - and that's not necessary for a restoration effort to be enjoyed and appreciated in my book anyway.  Post what you can when you can - nothing more.

I am really sorry guys, this thread wasn't meant to be a "this is how resto threads are done on DC.com" type of thing...   :blush2:  I'll knock off with the updates and let the thread die if it's a problem.

hemigeno

Quote from: hemi68charger on May 08, 2009, 06:47:39 AM
GENO !!!!!  All I can say is "WOW" !!!!!!    The 'Tona's looking great..............

Thanks, Troy!

moparstuart

Quote from: hemigeno on May 08, 2009, 09:02:02 AM
Quote from: PocketThunder on May 08, 2009, 12:22:53 AM

Well, here's what has prompted me to shoot for this level of documentation...

> This is my first concours-level restoration
> I love soaking up all the intricate details - especially when it comes to Aero/Daytona-specific stuff
> My memory stinks, so if I didn't photo-document and put the narrative with it while the details are fresh in my mind, I'm apt to forget a bunch of stuff
> Posting the pictures and narrative helps others learn some of those same details
> I've kicked myself a bunch of times for not taking even more pictures than I did of the car before it was restored, and didn't want to have the same regrets after the resto was done - and the majority of these pictures couldn't be taken after-the-fact
> When the whole process is done, I'll be able to put together a pretty thorough pictoral history of the car's restoration which would help in the (hopefully unlikely) event I ever needed to sell the car
> I thoroughly enjoy looking at others' restoration threads like Allen's, CornDog's, Troy H.'s, etc., whether they're Aerocars or not
> I figured being a Moderator 'round here pretty well obligated me to do more than cursory updates
> Danny still puts me to shame with documentation, he just doesn't post nearly every picture he takes

There's no threshhold being set (by me, anyway) for documenting a restoration.  Trust me, I know how much work it is to keep a restoration thread documented to this degree - and that's not necessary for a restoration effort to be enjoyed and appreciated in my book anyway.  Post what you can when you can - nothing more.

I am really sorry guys, this thread wasn't meant to be a "this is how resto threads are done on DC.com" type of thing...   :blush2:  I'll knock off with the updates and let the thread die if it's a problem.

dont you dare knock off  we love every bit of it , great job
  I personally thought you might be going alittle over board holding your whole restoration up on the nose rubber close outs .  kudo's to you and to your credit for holding out for the correct look and texture they look just amazing and correct .     
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

PocketThunder

Quote from: moparstuart on May 08, 2009, 09:24:04 AMdont you dare knock off  we love every bit of it , great job
  I personally thought you might be going alittle over board holding your whole restoration up on the nose rubber close outs .  kudo's to you and to your credit for holding out for the correct look and texture they look just amazing and correct .     

:iagree:  Whoa horsey!  Please keep posting as much detail as you can.  It gives guys like me a better vision on how to go about doing my car correctly (or better than i had originally planned) someday. 

I was certainly not implying that you are putting yourself on a higher level than the rest of us.  Heck, the only way to get better at anything is to work with someone with more experience than you.  and this resto thread is an excellent source of doing things the right way.

Paul

Oh and i cant forget my monthly reminder...  177 days till Talledega there Geno  :angel:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

FJ5WING

Geno,

I hope you didnt think I was complaining...................

I am so impressed with what youre doing and want to thank you for posting such a great effort. Wow do I feel like a jerk for putting you in a position to want to defend yourself.

I hope all the resto threads continue. It will give me the inspiration to document my project. Its already too late for more than the few before pics I have but I now have a better understanding of the impact a photo journal has during a restoration.

Please continue to publish your progress.
wingless now, but still around.

hemigeno

No problem guys, I'll keep things going - but it's not an attempt to shame anyone into thinking they need to post a hundred pictures at a time or don't post anything at all.  Absolutely not necessary.

I'm definitely not the first person to lament not having as many photos (especially unrestored or "before" shots) as I'd like, and I have read numerous places where people are cautioned to almost over-document a car before and during the disassembly process.  Like most people, I thought "that's a good idea" and then didn't really heed that advice.

If any of you guys have the chance to document your car before and during disassembly/restoration, it is worth the time and effort to do so - even if not a single picture is posted in a thread like this.  You don't know how many times I've snapped a picture I thought was almost a waste, only to be looking for some inane, trivial detail later and finding it in that "throwaway" shot.

:cheers:

PocketThunder

Quote from: hemigeno on May 08, 2009, 10:23:23 AM
No problem guys, I'll keep things going - but it's not an attempt to shame anyone into thinking they need to post a hundred pictures at a time or don't post anything at all.  Absolutely not necessary.

I'm definitely not the first person to lament not having as many photos (especially unrestored or "before" shots) as I'd like, and I have read numerous places where people are cautioned to almost over-document a car before and during the disassembly process.  Like most people, I thought "that's a good idea" and then didn't really heed that advice.

If any of you guys have the chance to document your car before and during disassembly/restoration, it is worth the time and effort to do so - even if not a single picture is posted in a thread like this.  You don't know how many times I've snapped a picture I thought was almost a waste, only to be looking for some inane, trivial detail later and finding it in that "throwaway" shot.

Its a good thing i havent started my restoration yet..   :icon_smile_big:  Ya, thats it, thats why i'm waiting, to take more pictures...   :icon_smile_cool:

hemi68charger

In the car hobby world,,,,, no truer words spoken................
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

69_500

Gene I think that if your behind me in taking pictures of details, then your not far behind, I think your breathing down my neck in that area. I just haven't taken any of those pictures of my own car, that is the main difference. I just pester other people to let me take pictures of their cars.

Car is coming along very nicely there Gene. Can't wait to see it finished, and then I can really snap off a few hundred photo's of the car no problem. But then again that would take away one of my main reasons for going to Michigan.

694spdRT

Looking great Geno!

Any chance of seeing it at Monster Mopar this year?
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

mikepmcs

Absolutely incredible and utterly amazing.  I'm stunned to say the least and I find myself hinging on every picture and commentary just so I can learn something.  I actually don't have the words to express what I see when I look at this thread as I've learned so much about the Daytona/Aero cars from this section of the site.  I can't begin to tell you how much it is appreciated that you take so much of your personal time to share a little of your life, and if I dare say so , let us be a part of your restoration.  So, Bravo to you good Sir and Thank You.
Not really wanting to focus on any one part in general, but......I'm really digging the drips myself. :2thumbs:

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

UFO

I have read numerous places where people are cautioned to almost over-document a car before and during the disassembly process. 

I don't think over documenting is possible.You take something apart for a redo and then real life kicks in ,the next thing you know a month/year have passed-are you gonna remember exactly how it goes back together?
By the way, Who the he!! painted that car with all the primer showing??  :smilielol:
Hard to see the paint drips with the flash reflecting off the retina red.
I'm with the others who are following this thread and enjoy checking out the progress. :2thumbs:

maxwellwedge

Keep it going Hemigeno - No matter how many 100's of pics we take there are 100's more we wish we did. If you don't do it for us do it for Olga!  :lol:

hemigeno

Thanks, guys - and I do hope that the pictures & other information are of either help or enjoyment.  There's no other reason to post them.

Quote from: PocketThunder on May 08, 2009, 10:28:46 AM
Its a good thing i havent started my restoration yet..   :icon_smile_big:  Ya, thats it, thats why i'm waiting, to take more pictures...   :icon_smile_cool:

:lol:  Just don't send the pictures to London Drug or you'll never get finished

Quote from: hemi68charger on May 08, 2009, 12:29:20 PM
In the car hobby world,,,,, no truer words spoken................

....says the voice of experience...   You've probably had a lot of those same thoughts, right Troy?

Quote from: 69_500 on May 08, 2009, 02:41:31 PM
Gene I think that if your behind me in taking pictures of details, then your not far behind, I think your breathing down my neck in that area. I just haven't taken any of those pictures of my own car, that is the main difference. I just pester other people to let me take pictures of their cars.

Car is coming along very nicely there Gene. Can't wait to see it finished, and then I can really snap off a few hundred photo's of the car no problem. But then again that would take away one of my main reasons for going to Michigan.

Hmmm... my toy camera with 6.1MP of resolution vs. your Pro-series camera with a gazillion MP of resolution (or is it 1.3 gazillion, I forget)...  I think I have a ways to go before I reach your level.   :P    Oh, and you're welcome to tag along on those Michigan visits - as soon as baseball season is over, of course!

Quote from: 694spdRT on May 08, 2009, 03:58:01 PM
Looking great Geno!

Any chance of seeing it at Monster Mopar this year?

Thanks Ty, and if the car is done by then I'll probably bring it to MMW - are you guys coming down again?

Quote from: mikepmcs on May 08, 2009, 04:36:04 PM
Absolutely incredible and utterly amazing.  I'm stunned to say the least and I find myself hinging on every picture and commentary just so I can learn something.  I actually don't have the words to express what I see when I look at this thread as I've learned so much about the Daytona/Aero cars from this section of the site.  I can't begin to tell you how much it is appreciated that you take so much of your personal time to share a little of your life, and if I dare say so , let us be a part of your restoration.  So, Bravo to you good Sir and Thank You.
Not really wanting to focus on any one part in general, but......I'm really digging the drips myself. :2thumbs:

v/r
Mike

Thanks, Mike - almost don't know what to say after that.  Good to know the effort on both the car's restoration and the thread's documentation are appreciated.  The only way I've learned things about these cars is by asking questions and having someone show me little details, and I can hardly get enough information like that.  By passing that knowledge along, it helps preserve yet another piece of the hobby and the overall history of the cars.

I'll also chalk another vote up for liking the drips too...  :P

Quote from: UFO on May 08, 2009, 04:59:58 PM
I don't think over documenting is possible.You take something apart for a redo and then real life kicks in ,the next thing you know a month/year have passed-are you gonna remember exactly how it goes back together?
By the way, Who the he!! painted that car with all the primer showing??  :smilielol:
Hard to see the paint drips with the flash reflecting off the retina red.
I'm with the others who are following this thread and enjoy checking out the progress. :2thumbs:

Thanks, Brian - and you're probably right about over-documenting not being a possibility.  Real life kicking in is a big reason I've tried to get a lot of this information down while it's still floating around somewhere in the empty space between my ears.

hemigeno

Quote from: maxwellwedge on May 08, 2009, 05:53:45 PM
Keep it going Hemigeno - No matter how many 100's of pics we take there are 100's more we wish we did. If you don't do it for us do it for Olga!  :lol:

There's one in every crowd...   :rotz:

:lol:

ds440

Quote from: hemigeno on May 08, 2009, 05:59:17 PM
Thanks, guys - and I do hope that the pictures & other information are of either help or enjoyment.  

I'm more of a lurker in the resto threads (sadly, I have nothing to contribute :'(), but hemigeno, please don't ever stop posting pics/info.  Not only do they provide a source of info, but of inspiration as well. :2thumbs:

...And of course, they are a source of blinding envy.  :icon_smile_cool: :icon_smile_cool: :2thumbs:

Good luck with the rest of your project.
1968 Charger R/T, 440 auto.

pettybird

amazing stuff. 

about the upper door frame paint--wasn't that masked off so (lots of) paint didn't get in the doors?  i thought there were more defined lines than the organic shoot-and-cover that's on your car. 

am I just wrong, or did some cars come that way?  plant specific?