News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

499 CI 440?

Started by cudaken, October 25, 2005, 04:45:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cudaken

As you know I am looking to sell the blower. Steert wise said to look to list it at racingjunk and as I was looking around I came a cross this set up. My heads are 88 CC's but will still be around 11.0 to one. Still to high for the street.

Beside compression what do you think of the kite? I know rod lenght and crank throw, piston speed can really effect where the engine makes power. Math to figuer that is above my meager mind. Would this kite requard the block to be notched?

For now I need a solid bottom to mide range power with the 727, 2400 stall and 2.76 sure gripp.

I am far from being ready to buy and more thinking out loud at this poit. Did get the 440 to a nother shop today so what they tell me will have a lot to do with what I do next.

http://racingjunk.com/exec/ca/view/432296/440-mopar-499-stroker-kit-4340-forged-dodge.html

$1,699.00

Big Block Mopar 4340 forged stroker kit 499 c.i. Want More Inches*? Stroke it! This kit comes with pistons from SRP and a crankshaft and rods from EAGLE specialty products inc. The Crank: Eagle part# 444041506760 The crank in this kit is an EAGLE 4340 non-twist forged steel crankshaft this crank has been multi stage heat treated , stress relieved and shot peened , the journals have been nitrided for superior wear resistance. The journals have also been percision ground and micropolished.The entire crank has also been 100% x-rayed , magnafluxed , and sonic tested to keep high quality control standards.This crank has a 4.15" stroke , 2.375" rod journals , this crank is the 6 bolt flange style. The Rods:Eagle part#CRS6760B3D These H-Beam rods are also made by EAGLE they are 6.76" from center to center they have a 0.990" wristpin diameter, 2.375" crank journal width and they are 1.007" wide at the big end. Like the crank they are also 4340 forged steel . The small ends have A-18 Bronze wristpin bushings for a full floating setup. They have been heat treated , x-rayed , magnafluxed , sonic tested , and shot peened to relieve stress in the material. The Pistons: SRP part#206046 These pistons are made by SRP they will fit a 4.375" bore , and give you approximately 11.7:1 compression with an 80cc head.These are made of forged heat treated alluminum alloy.They come with wristpins and double spiral locks.Rings also available please call! This item will sell for $1699.00 plus $78.00 shipping to the 48 continental U.S. If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to give us a call or E-Mail us dynoflo1@msn.com (702)-567-3035 Please send all checks and money orders to Dyno-Flo 1180 Center Point dr. suite B Henderson , NV 89074 
Contact Phone Number: 702-567-3035 dynoflo2@msn.com please send inquiries here thanks
Posted by: dynoflo (#9639)

Cuda Ken
I am back

BrianShaughnessy

The folks at moparts are ga-ga over the stroker kits and stuff from this www.440source.com place.    Most everybody is selling chinese cranks and whatnot now... it's just the final finishing that matters anymore I'm told.  Seems to be less expensive that than ad from racingjunk you're talking about. 

I dunno...    I've got my spare 440 block with a decent crank... I'm just browsing for h beams and pistons to make a nice 446 in case I ventilate something but you can make a nice stroker for almost cheap anymore.   
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

firefighter3931

Ken,

A 4.15 crank with your iron heads would make a killer engine with 2.76's and 2400 stall. It would probably peak at 5k but with those gears...who cares. You'd want to keep the compression ratio in the 9;1 range and size the cam accordingly. I agree with Brian, the 440 source stuff seems to be getting rave reviews. The custom piston option is only a few extra $ if you need to make a compression ratio adjustment. With the blueprinted deckheight, the correct piston could be built for your specific combo which is another bonus.

Ron

Ps. I'll be using 440 source for some stroker components when it comes time to build mine. I've allready got the crank (mp 528 hemi 8-bolt) but i'll use them for the rods and pistons. I'm thinking 4.25 stroke with 2.2 rod journals and .990 pins for mine.
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

MOPARHOUND!

Quote from: cudaken on October 25, 2005, 04:45:38 PM

Beside compression what do you think of the kite? I know rod lenght and crank throw, piston speed can really effect where the engine makes power. Math to figuer that is above my meager mind. Would this kite requard the block to be notched?

For now I need a solid bottom to mide range power with the 727, 2400 stall and 2.76 sure gripp.

A good recent thread here on the site: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,782.0.html

And a link with his new parts to salivate on: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,4195.0.html

So far have only heard good things about the www.440source.com kit.

My Eagle 4.15" crank was discovered .0045 undersized.  ?Usually they need some type of machining to get them right out of the box, out of round journals, etc.

Yes, the bottom of cylinders need to be notched a fraction for clearance, easily done, and basically removes material that is "along for the ride" at the bottom of the cylinder.

E-heads or better are the ticket to a great running 493-500 cid RB stroker.  ?The added cylinder volume needs more air - the old saying goes, "stock heads on a 440 with a stroker crank will run like a 440".  ? Not sure how much work your current heads have had done to them.
1971 Charger R/T, 440 H.P., Auto, A/C Daily Driven (till gas went nuts).  NOW IN CARS FOR SALE SECTION: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,48709.0.html
1969 Charger 318/Auto (latest addtion): http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31948.0.html
*Speed costs money son, how fast do you want to go, and for how long?"
*"Build the biggest engine you can afford the first time."
*"We normally wouldn't use a 383 for this build, parts and labor for a 440 cost the same."

cudaken

MOPARHOUND, my heads have a little work but not much sense with them being made for a blower. Heads are 346's, 3 angle, 2.14 intake and 1.80 exhaust and matched ported. Main thing would be bottom end.

Engine had pretty good power what little time I got to drive it. Never even got to beat on her much but could get the hides going on a 15 MPH roll with the 2.76's gear.

Cuda Ken
I am back

RD

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on October 25, 2005, 09:03:08 PM
The folks at moparts are ga-ga over the stroker kits and stuff from this www.440source.com place.      Most everybody is selling chinese cranks and whatnot now... it's just the final finishing that matters anymore I'm told.   Seems to be less expensive that than ad from racingjunk you're talking about.  

I dunno...      I've got my spare 440 block with a decent crank... I'm just browsing for h beams and pistons to make a nice 446 in case I ventilate something but you can make a nice stroker for almost cheap anymore.     

you can get a nice set of hbeam rods for a stock stroke 440 on ebay for $399.  I got a set, had the machine shop check them out and they were all within +/- 2 grams of one another.  Easy to fix.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

kamkuda

Yes, 493 from 440source.com

Thats my plan too.  Either Ported Edelbrocks or Indy EZ's or the new (potential) edelbrock Victor heads.

Loads of power on the cheap! 

All that torque for just a few extra bucks for a stroker combo.  Sweet! :icon_smile_cool:

max

i read somewhere that it was possible to use stock low compression (8.0-1) 400 pistons and bore a 440 block out for them and then use a 4.15 stroke crank and stock 440 rods and this will give you 499 cid.

if you were building a mild street/strip engine this would be a very cheap way of doing it as the low compression 400 pistons with the stroker crank and 440 rods brings the compression to 10.1.

i wouldn't be afraid to use this set up in a 6k max rpm engine but after you figure in the extra cubes you would need to address the heads for more flow.