News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

rear U-joint bolts

Started by eSJayDee, October 26, 2005, 12:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eSJayDee

Anyone else have problems w/ these things besides me?
They always seem to go in extremely tightly/poorly & I've broken off more than one in my time.
What size are they supposed to be (IIRC, big & small yokes take the same)?
Are they some special thread count or something?
TIA
and are there any special tips you can suggest when installing them 'cuz apparently I'm not too good at it.

John_Kunkel

If the bolt threads are in good shape and they "go in tightly", you might need to chase the threads in the yoke before installing the bolts.

Breaking the bolts while tightening can be a simple case of "gorilla", take it easy; they're only 1/4" bolts. No special thread count, they're 1/4"-28.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Chryco Psycho

the proper bolts have the 3/8" head , 1/4 " bolts from a regular bolt bin have the 7/16 " head & do not fit properly
Precision has new bolt & strap kits avail;able at a low cost

eSJayDee

Thanks for the help guys, as it turns out I didn't have any problems.  Installed a rebuilt diff & I bought new machine hardened allen head bolts & I could almost tighten them by hand (I smartly checked them out b4 installing :) ).
Now if I could only overcome my new electrical problem, I could see how the new rear is like.