News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

70 Roadrunner question???

Started by rcr721, September 28, 2008, 10:15:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcr721

Hey everyone. I'm a newb on here so any help you can give would be great. I've been doing a little bit of restoration work on a 70 roadrunner for a friend of a friend. Bad idea! Anyway he came to look at it today and started freaking out about the Mopar emblem missing on the right fender. I'm positive there was no emblem there when he dropped it off, and of course I have pics of every part of the car except that part of the fender from when he dropped it off. He said they are priceless and you can't get them anywhere. I've been searching online trying to find any pics of this emblem and see if you can get them and how much. The only fender emblem I can find is the pentastar emblem. Is there a different emblem? He said anybody that is into Mopars knows that these are priceless. Please help me. Thanks!!

Rolling_Thunder

the only emblem that is on the passenger side fender on a 70 RR is a pentastar at the bottom    :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Ghoste

And they aren't priceless and they are easily found.  Just Google Mopar Pentastar fender emblem.

BB1

If it was me I'd back out of this guys restoration, obviously he has no idea what comes on a RR.  :rotz:

Delete my profile

71_deputy

could of been one there- but not from the factory!!!!!!   

maybe a older resto from a Chevy shop!!!!!! :eyes:
1971 Deputy Challenger 383 4bbl-- 1 of 2 made!!
1967 Charger 440/auto
1973 Road Runner 340/4 speed
2000 1500 Ram Van

WingCharger

Quote from: 71_deputy on September 29, 2008, 06:59:41 AM
could of been one there- but not from the factory!!!!!!   

maybe a older resto from a Chevy shop!!!!!! :eyes:
:moon: :haha:

Old Moparz

Quote from: rcr721 on September 28, 2008, 10:15:54 PM
Hey everyone. I'm a newb on here so any help you can give would be great. I've been doing a little bit of restoration work on a 70 roadrunner for a friend of a friend. Bad idea! Anyway he came to look at it today and started freaking out about the Mopar emblem missing on the right fender. I'm positive there was no emblem there when he dropped it off, and of course I have pics of every part of the car except that part of the fender from when he dropped it off. He said they are priceless and you can't get them anywhere. I've been searching online trying to find any pics of this emblem and see if you can get them and how much. The only fender emblem I can find is the pentastar emblem. Is there a different emblem? He said anybody that is into Mopars knows that these are priceless. Please help me. Thanks!!

Is there a remote chance that he's referring to the Road Runner bird "DECAL" at the front of the fender? They're not expensive or hard to find either.

This is not the passenger side obviously, but the decals are on both sides.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

rcr721

Thanks guys! He said there was a round mopar emblem on the right fender. I'm positive there were no emblems on the car at all when he brought it to me. I thought before I argued with him too much I would see if I could find out what he was talking about. He told me that any "Mopar guy" knew how much these were worth and that he's even heard of guys going to car shows and trying to steal them! Now I can tell him he's crazy and I'm done with his car! Thanks again guys, I really appreciate.

I do have one more quick question. Does anyone know if the trunks on these cars were pretty much smooth and flawless from the factory or were they a little rough? Thanks again

WingCharger

Quote from: rcr721 on September 29, 2008, 03:35:22 PM
Thanks guys! He said there was a round mopar emblem on the right fender. I'm positive there were no emblems on the car at all when he brought it to me. I thought before I argued with him too much I would see if I could find out what he was talking about. He told me that any "Mopar guy" knew how much these were worth and that he's even heard of guys going to car shows and trying to steal them! Now I can tell him he's crazy and I'm done with his car! Thanks again guys, I really appreciate.

I do have one more quick question. Does anyone know if the trunks on these cars were pretty much smooth and flawless from the factory or were they a little rough? Thanks again
:2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Trunks were just stamped metal with a vinyl mat? :shruggy:
Oh, and welcome to the site! :coolgleamA:

BB1

Is this a Hemi car? Good riddance, he sounds like a nut.
Delete my profile

rcr721

He says it's the 440 6 pack. He supposedly has the original engine for it, but I haven't seen it, he had it out of the car when he brought it to me. So far I've sectioned in the middle of the trunk as it was rusted out pretty bad. I've also done work on both quarters, the deck lid and the fenders. He tried telling me that there has never been any work done to it and it was all original. When I tore into the quarters they both had filler in them, as did the roof and hood, and right fender. I'm really wishing I hadn't gotten into this to start with.

I told him I would charge him $3500 for the body work and $1000 to paint, and he pays for the supplies. He paid me $2000 to start and I'm thinking of telling him I'm not gonna work on it anymore. Last night he said I told him $3500 for the body work and painting. He said that's way too much, but he wants it perfect! Does that price sound fair? I thought it was a little cheap for a complete, but maybe I'm wrong.

Thanks guys

Rolling_Thunder

3500 is way cheap...         i have racked up 130 hours of bodywork on my charger...     but it didnt need much work
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Ghoste

I think you're gonna regret this one if you aren't already.

FLG

rcr for 4500 for body work and paint, if ya do good work i think half the guys on this forum would be sending you their car...including me  ;D

IMO,

Finish what you started charge him for that and get outta there

And welcome to DC.com

Old Moparz

Sorry, but this deal sounds like it's heading in a bad direction unless you have your estimate in writing. We usually hear horror stories about bad body shops, but there are also the customers from hell. The guy seems like he's a know-it-all that has all the wrong info. He swears about an emblem that doesn't exist & he swears the car has never had body work done. Besides, he's being cheap & also won't be happy no matter what you do for him. The paint could come out nice, but he'll find a reason to say it looks bad & not pay you. I hope I'm wrong, good luck.   :cheers:
               Bob                

rcr721

I'm pretty much done with the car, which is the bad part. Don't get me wrong, I am by no means the best body man out there, or anywhere close, but I try to take my time and get it right, or as close as I can. I'm trying to be decent with the guy, and fair. This is the first major side job I've really done. I've done a few smaller jobs here and there, mainly fixing a fender or replacing a bumper. When I first started working for a body shop a few years ago, I've heard various horror stories about guys doing work on the side and the customers wanting it done really cheap, or comlaining when it's not absolutely perfect. So I've stayed away form it until a few months ago. Now I'm wishing I had started it! I really don't think the guy is gonna pay me. I guess ya live and learn.

FLG

Dont give him the car until you have the cash in your hand.

Old Moparz

Quote from: FLG on September 30, 2008, 03:51:17 PM
Dont give him the car until you have the cash in your hand.

I agree, you have the upper hand, but make sure he pays in cash so he doesn't stop payment on a check.
               Bob                

rcr721

Well I got home last night and the guy and 5 of his buddies were at my house. I have a really long driveway and it was dark out. As I got about halfway up the driveway I saw a bunch of guys jump in a car and the guy that owns the car was just finishing strapping the car on his trailer. I got out and talked to him for a minute before he jumped in his truck and took off. He asked me if I found that emblem yet, and started going on about it being priceless. I told him I found out it's not priceless and you can buy them online for less than $20. I doubt I'll ever get any money out of him now! He still owes me $2500. I guess I learned my lesson the hard way. Like I said ya live and learn. Thanks for all your help!

WingCharger

Quote from: rcr721 on October 01, 2008, 03:49:46 PM
Well I got home last night and the guy and 5 of his buddies were at my house. I have a really long driveway and it was dark out. As I got about halfway up the driveway I saw a bunch of guys jump in a car and the guy that owns the car was just finishing strapping the car on his trailer. I got out and talked to him for a minute before he jumped in his truck and took off. He asked me if I found that emblem yet, and started going on about it being priceless. I told him I found out it's not priceless and you can buy them online for less than $20. I doubt I'll ever get any money out of him now! He still owes me $2500. I guess I learned my lesson the hard way. Like I said ya live and learn. Thanks for all your help!
:soapbox: :soapbox: :soapbox: :soapbox: :soapbox: :soapbox: :soapbox: :soapbox: :soapbox: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :fireangry: :fireangry: :fireangry: :fireangry: :fireangry: :fireangry: :fireangry: :fireangry:

DUDE!!!! THAT IS FREAKING WRONG!!!

rcr721

That's what I say! But unfortunately I screwed up from the begining and didn't put anything in writing  :brickwall:
:flame:  :flame:  :flame:  :flame:

FLG

Did you take pics of the resto? Take him to small claims court, you wont need to prove it without a doubt, just enough for the judge to believe you. Im sorry but if this happened to me id immediatly sue him if he dosnt pay up.

rcr721

That's what I'm checking into. I have pics fom when he dropped it off and pics from about 2 days before he took it. You can definately tell there was a lot done to it.
:mad:

Ghoste

Good luck, we'll be pulling for you.

rcr721

So I was able to get ahold of the guy tonight and talked to him briefly. It didn't go too well. He was still going on about the missing emblem on the right fender. I told him again that there were no emblems on the car at all when he brought it over. He said you can't get them online. I told him I would give him the website where he can get it, and he said you can't get the original one with the Mopar numbers on it that match that car. I don't know why it matters, cuz the left fender isn't the original fender for that car anyway. Then he tried telling me that I still only told him $3500 plus supplies to completely restore and paint the entire car. I tried telling him he was crazy and that nobody would completely restore and paint that car for $3500. He told me he knew lots of places. This guy is so full of bull****. I really wish I had never met the guy. He also tried telling me that the car is worth $300,000!!! I told him he's full of it!

How much is a completely restored 1970 Roadrunner worth?

Thanks for all your help guys. I really appreciate it. I'm trying to not go crazy over bein screwed out of $2500!

Ghoste

A restored 1970 Road Runner with a 5000 dollar resto on it?  Absolutely not a slam on your skills at all (and I think you know this) but a 5000 dollar job is just a quickie so I'll go out on a limb and without seeing it, call his car at a very generous 20k.  It could be worth more but not 280,000 more.
He claims it's a 440-6 car but given everything else he told you, my guess is not to believe that.  A real Six Barrel car would put it at quite a bit more but still less than 60k in todays market without knowing more about the car.  You don't happen to know the vin do you?  We could quickly tell you more about it with that.

rcr721

I don't have the VIN. I wish I had gotten it, but like a written estimate, I didn't think about it. He was trying to tell me I ruined his car. He said I should take him to court and the judge would make me pay him money for ruining it! He said the doors are wavy there are dents in the deck lid and quarters. I had a guy that has done bodywork for 15 years come out and look at it. He said the quarters still needed a lil work and the rocker needed just a lil bit more work. I was gonna offer to keep working on it another week when he came out last sunday and started getting upset about it. Then he argued about the price and the cost of supplies. I got this feeling he wasn't gonna pay me, so I didn't offer to work on it any longer. He never said anything about fixing the stuff he pointed out, he just kept bitchin about it. When I talked to him last night he said he didn't believe that I put $900 in supplies in it. He said he talked to a few guys and they told him they would kick my a$$ if it were them. The primer alone was about $300 for a gallon and a quart of hardener. I'll try and post some before and after pics for you guys!

rcr721

more pics

rcr721

couple more

Ghoste

Keep following up with small claims but I think you are lucky to be rid of this guy.  Did it say 440-6 on the back of that hood bulge?

rcr721

I pretty sure there was nothing on the back of the hood bulge

Back N Black

Man! people like that Piss me off. I say take him up on his challenge and kick his ass. I know its not the right thing to do, but at least you get a little satisfaction  out of the deal.

rcr721

Trust me, I've thought about kickin his ass! I've thought about doing a lot of things, including breaking into his shop and beating the hell out of the car! But I'm gonna try and take the high road out and learn my lesson the hard way, and hopefully settle it in court!

resq302

Quote from: rcr721 on October 03, 2008, 03:58:49 PM
I don't have the VIN. I wish I had gotten it, but like a written estimate, I didn't think about it. He was trying to tell me I ruined his car. He said I should take him to court and the judge would make me pay him money for ruining it! He said the doors are wavy there are dents in the deck lid and quarters. I had a guy that has done bodywork for 15 years come out and look at it. He said the quarters still needed a lil work and the rocker needed just a lil bit more work. I was gonna offer to keep working on it another week when he came out last sunday and started getting upset about it. Then he argued about the price and the cost of supplies. I got this feeling he wasn't gonna pay me, so I didn't offer to work on it any longer. He never said anything about fixing the stuff he pointed out, he just kept bitchin about it. When I talked to him last night he said he didn't believe that I put $900 in supplies in it. He said he talked to a few guys and they told him they would kick my a$$ if it were them. The primer alone was about $300 for a gallon and a quart of hardener. I'll try and post some before and after pics for you guys!

To me, that area that I highlighted in bold, sounds like he is starting to threaten you.  I'd cover yourself and get a police report done on this should anything start happening to you or your property.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Ghoste