News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone dealing with the new paint laws?

Started by jeryst, August 29, 2010, 10:36:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeryst

A couple friends of mine have small body shops with makeshift paint booths. According to them, a bunch of new laws are going into effect at the beginning of 2011, and they are unsure whether they will remain in business. They will need to invest in dedicated paint booths, 98% effective filtration systems, automatic paint gun washers, new paint guns, etc. They just dont feel that they can afford to do what is called for in order to stay in business.

Since this is a federal thing, affecting all 50 states, I was just wondering if any of you are in the same predicament.

Silver R/T

well EPA is looking mainly that you use HVLP equipment and higher solids paint
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Cooperman

We have had tighter regulations for paintshops in England for a few years already. A lot of the smaller, less professional shops have gone, and in some cases that's not a bad thing. Gone are the days of painting a car in the back forty on a less than windy day!

Any idea when water based paint will be mandatory in the US? We've had this kind paint for a while now, and the results are very good.
I'm not a painter, but I've had about thirty cars painted using this method on behalf of customers in the last three years.

I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants!

jeryst

I heard that they are strongly suggesting that shops go with the water based paint, so it probably wont be long before it is mandated. I think if you use non water based paints, it will be treated as hazardous waste, and will have to be disposed of properly.

Funny thing is, any "hobbyist" can paint 2 cars a years without need for any special equipment/paints, etc.  That may change somewhere down the road, but right now hobbyists are exempt from the regulations.

Mike DC

The EPA would fine everyone for drinking water & breathing air if they thought they could enforce it. 

oldcarnut

When I went to check on some paint options at one of the local paint stores he told me some time in the future he probably wasn't going to be able to sell anything besides water based.  It wasn't so much as I couldn't paint with the solvent based but was that I wouldn't be able to buy it.  I guess it will be awhile before it gets that way on Southeast coast but I hope it's after I finish the project I'm on.  Reckon it will be my last as I it's the only way I could afford the hobby is to do it myself for the most part.  Maybe not the greatest or perfect paint job but it worked for me.

hemi-hampton

As far as I know here in Michigan all body shops have to have a spray/paint booth to paint a car legally. Always been that way. BUT, Many do not have a booth & paint anyways. Most if not all know this is not right or legal but do it anyways. Paint here is considered hazardous waste & legally should be removed by a waste company such as Safety Clean ect & strict records kept of amount filled & removed on which dates  :smilielol: :lol: But of course this is never done, I only worked at 1 shop out of 25 that actually did this. If you ever worked in a body shop, none of the rules are followed & many don't even know what the rules are :shruggy: :slap:  LEON.

Troy

They started cracking down a few years ago here in Ohio. One shop started renting out their booth to several other shops since they were geared more toward restorations than collision repair and the booth sat empty most of the time. It is expensive to keep everything up to standards I'm sure.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Mike DC

This may be a heretical suggestion, but I wouldn't mind seeing the dirtier paint materials & supplies just get taxed instead of banned. 

If you're in a steady painting business, then you will wanna use the stuff that is cheaper in the long run even if the setup costs are higher initially.  But if you're a backyard painter who does 3 cars in 5 years, then you can just pay up for the dirtier stuff and forget about it. 

elitecustombody

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on August 29, 2010, 06:52:15 PM

The EPA would fine everyone for drinking water & breathing air if they thought they could enforce it. 

:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

AMD-Auto Metal Direct  Distributor, email me for all your shetmetal needs

Stefan

jpsycoboy5

Quote from: hemi-hampton on August 29, 2010, 11:43:31 PM
As far as I know here in Michigan all body shops have to have a spray/paint booth to paint a car legally. Always been that way. BUT, Many do not have a booth & paint anyways. Most if not all know this is not right or legal but do it anyways. Paint here is considered hazardous waste & legally should be removed by a waste company such as Safety Clean ect & strict records kept of amount filled & removed on which dates  :smilielol: :lol: But of course this is never done, I only worked at 1 shop out of 25 that actually did this. If you ever worked in a body shop, none of the rules are followed & many don't even know what the rules are :shruggy: :slap:  LEON.

Leon where in michigan are you located?
1973 dodge charger se was 318 in process of swapping in 440

TylerCharger69

Here in Texas...Its mandatory to have an EPA approved paint booth, not to mention an EPA approved paint storage locker not inside the booth itself.   Many of the smaller businesses here arent in compliance though...It's just a matter of someone complaining about it.  I know of an individual  who has no containment booth whatsoever  and you can watch the "cloud" shoot underneath the shop bay door as he shoots clearcoat,  which i dont agree with.   I say  at least make an attempt  to filter it!!!   It is sad that a lot of small businesses will be forced to close though.  It seems that our government should financially assist with loans or something in order for small businesses to be in compliance with these laws  since its taking food off the table for so many people.    Some of the best work you'll ever see comes from a low budget paint shop.    I don't see Maaco winning any awards for their paint jobs!!

hemi-hampton

Quote from: jpsycoboy5 on September 02, 2010, 10:48:20 PM
Quote from: hemi-hampton on August 29, 2010, 11:43:31 PM

Leon where in michigan are you located?

In Warren, Michigan. It's in the Detroit area. Do you need some work done? LEON.