News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Heavy vibration under normal braking.......unsettling.

Started by Blackcherry360, October 23, 2005, 10:49:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackcherry360

My mope has been of the road for a half year for the usual resto work. I decided it was time for a ride. She started up and drove suprisingly well. Mufflers are wide open so when I drop it down to second on a cruise it sounds nasty and menacing. Just the way I like it. When I come to a normal stop the front end does wheel hopping and a very unsettling steering wheel shake. :icon_smile_dead: The pads are at about 60%(discs in front) and 50% left at the rear drums. Any idea what may cause this.
Thanxs.
Jeff

Chryco Psycho

it could be warped front rotors , or rust on the rotors causing the uneven braking , if it is rust it will usually even out very quickly

bull

Was there any vibration before braking? If so I'd say maybe your wheel bearing preload wasn't done correctly and you might have a loose hub. Otherwise it would have to be a warped rotor as Chryco pointed out. Jack it up, pull the front wheels and make sure everything is tight such as the calipers, caliper adapters, wheel bearings/hubs, suspension componants, etc. If that's all ok you might have to have the rotors turned. I'd be tempted to try a little 'burn in' first if everything is tight, ie., a couple of hard, controlled stops followed by riding the brakes for a good 50 yards at a time with one foot on the brake and one on the gas at about 30 mph. A little heat will sometimes make things cooperate down there. :icon_smile_big:

Jon Smith

I had a warped rotor on mine, i had it turned but it went again within a few hundred miles, if they're getting thin it might be time for new ones

RD

if it is only vibrating under braking, then i agree with the above, but if there is vibration while driving then check your tie-rods.  You can do this by jacking up your front end, grabbing your tire and wiggle side to side.  If there is major movement, 1/4" or more then a tie rod end is bad.  No movement is good.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Plumcrazy

If the car has not been driven for 6 months chances are the rotors are rusty.  If they don't smooth out fairly quickly then the rust may have pitted them bad enough to need refinished/replaced.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

Blackcherry360

Fortunately, the problem does not occur when the car is moving. I jacked up the front end and found the rotors to be very rusty, pitted and grooved. I did not get a chance to mic them but just looking at them, I am certain they need replacement. Perhaps the calipers should be taken off and checked too. Thanks all for your input. I'll let you know how it goes.
Jeff