News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

17" rims questions...............................

Started by bksfld68, October 26, 2005, 08:36:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bksfld68

Hi all -

I am getting ready to get some tires and wheels for my 68.  I am thinking of using 17" front and rear and looking for widths really that these cars can accomodate.  I was thinking 17x8 fronts but would like to see what has been done with the rears.  I would like to run something wider in the back and be able to sort of tuck the tire a bit in the rear,  within the wheel well.  Any suggestions on backsapcing and  sidewall heighths would be cool to if you would like to share.

Thanks,

Ryan

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Blakcharger440

Bummer dude, you got moved to the least visited section of this board. Wont get much of a reply here.

bksfld68

I was thinking the same thing.  And the funny thing is, the heading for this sub-category, just seemed to change last night after I made the post, to include wheels and tires.

471_Magnum

This subject has been beat to death on just about every bulletin board. Poke around in some archives. But since you asked...

17x8 front zero offset. 255-50-17. VERY tight
17x9 rear zero offset. 275-50-17. There's room for more tire, but I didn't see the point.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

bksfld68

471 Magnum -

When you say VERY tight on the fronts, are you experiencing any rubbing?  Also, with the zero offset, does this relate to backspacing as it seems most are using 4.5" of backspacing.

Ryan

471_Magnum

Quote from: bksfld68 on October 27, 2005, 04:52:52 PMWhen you say VERY tight on the fronts, are you experiencing any rubbing? Also, with the zero offset, does this relate to backspacing as it seems most are using 4.5" of backspacing.

Slight rub on wheel opening molding when traversing a curve with the wheel turned sharply. 1/2" positive offset or less tire would help this.

4.5" back space is zero offset on a 8" rim. Zero offset is 5" back space on a 9" rim.

Tire selection is pretty slim in the 27"-28" range, but that's what best fills the wheel house IMHO.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

Troy

Quote from: Blakcharger440 on October 27, 2005, 06:38:54 AM
Bummer dude, you got moved to the least visited section of this board. Wont get much of a reply here.

If people actually asked (and answered) questions in the correct sections then it wouldn't be the least visited now would it? It just so happens that the "tech experts" usually look to answer tech questions in the tech sections (go figure). These sections also move a bit slower so the questions stay up on the first page longer which gives them more visibility and a better chance of being answered correctly. As noted, the question has been asked and answered before so a little searching would have saved a mod the trouble of moving it. One of the main reasons to have a tech section is because usually more than one person has the same question and keeping them organized makes it easier for everyone.

Kinda looks like the replies (other than yours) were pretty relevant... :D

For the record, I changed the name of the section since it seemed obvious that some people had no idea where to start new threads (or look for answers). I get tired of moving them.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

79JON

Hey,    I have 17X8's all the way around on my 68 coronet and I do have a little rub when i turn the wheel all the way.  But not terrible.    What I did on the rear is put 1/2inch spacers and now the wheels look pretty even.      It did look funny with the rear tires tucked in more than the front.

PocketThunder

After reading other threads here and on moparts, (and spending half the morning on it here are work,   hehe), here is what i came up with on my excel spreadsheet..   I'm gonna try this on my '68 unless i prove myself wrong or someone esle has something to add.   (and i save up $1000 for rims :icon_smile_blackeye:)

Front: 225/55-17
Sidewall= 4.9"
Width= 8.9"
Height= 26.7"

Rear: 265/55-17
Sidewall= 5.7"
Width= 10.4"
Height= 28.5"

The side walls are an inch apart, so that shouldnt look goofy..   The width is within a good tolerance so there should be no rubbing.   The front height is very close to stock 26" tall tires, with the fronts a little shorter for a good stance..

I'm leaning towards the American Racing: Hopster..  
Part #550-7865 for the front, 17x8, 4" backspacing.
Part #550-79567 for the rear, 17x9.5, 6-3/8" backspacing, gonna need a 1-7/8" spacer to make them fit.   But i'm still doing my homework on this part to make sure they dont rub on the wheel opening...
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

471_Magnum

Curious. What brand/model tire are you planning to use?

275-55-17 or 275-50-17 will fit out back. You could squeeze a 255-50-17 up front.

I'd spend a few extra bucks and order a custom offset wheel rather than messing with spacers (you want zero offset in back). The will give the wheel a bit more "dish" and look more agressive.

Contact Wheels for Less to get the best deal on American Racing Wheels.

Email them for a quote.

PocketThunder

I just went to tirerack.com and typed in the size and a couple of choices popped up.

thanks for the link, i'll get an email out to them.  I was using the stock sizes off of american racings website, thats where i got the 9.5" rim and dimensions.  I didnt think to order a custom offset wheel.  We'll see what the cost is..

thanks

Paul
in St. paul
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

PocketThunder

Got a e-mail back from wheelsforless.com on the custom Hopster........ :o

The Hopster can be custom made in 17x9.5 with a 4.5" backspace.  They sell for $303.00 each.  Allow 5-7 weeks for delivery.
Thanks,
Tech Department
Wheelsforless.com
800-810-4512

Guess i gotta pay to play....

471_Magnum

Youch!

I had them quote some TrakStars last year. I think it was about a $60 premium for the custom offset. Their price on the standard offset beat everyone else’s by quite a bit AND the price included lugs and stems. Unfortunately, they were still too rich for my blood.

The elimination of the need for adaptors should at least partially offset cost of the custom offset. And like I said, it will look better.

Unfortunately, 17” zero offset wheels are scarce as hen’s teeth, especially in widths over 8”. For zero offset, you almost have to pay for a custom wheel. $300 ain’t bad for a custom wheel. The Hotwheels I’m running are comparatively cheap at $160 each (for polished, $210 for chrome), but they are a one-piece Chinese casting, not an American made forged wheel. They may, however, be the only off the shelf wheel with the desired offset.

BTW, on a 9.5” wheel in back, you probably want another 3/4” back space to center the wheel out back. 5.25” backspace is zero offset on a 9.5” wheel, which is pretty much considered ideal on a stock B-body. 4.5" backspace is 0.75" negative offset on a 9.5" wheel and will put you dangerously close to the lip.

Blown70

Quote from: PocketThunder on January 03, 2006, 09:12:17 AM
Got a e-mail back from wheelsforless.com on the custom Hopster........ :o

The Hopster can be custom made in 17x9.5 with a 4.5" backspace.   They sell for $303.00 each.   Allow 5-7 weeks for delivery.
Thanks,
Tech Department
Wheelsforless.com
800-810-4512

Guess i gotta pay to play....

HMMM for the rear of my charger I was looking at some Colorado Customs or Budnick.... $1200 Each for the rear.  I MAY have to do something else for now.... Who knows

Tom

PocketThunder

Hey 471_Magnum!,

I just called on those rims from moparts and i bought em.  $530 out the door.  i owe you one :cheers:

I'm PUMPED!!!!   Now, what size to go with on the back with 8" rims??  Can i go with a 10" wide tire on a 8" rim?  Is an inch overhang on each side to much?  Maybe i can just run 9" wide 235's...

471_Magnum

Tire manufacturer will have a rim width recommendation. Your 265-55-17 should be okay. Minimum width for my 275-50-17 was 8" IIRC.

471_Magnum

Quote from: PocketThunder on January 03, 2006, 02:37:09 PM
Now, what size to go with on the back with 8" rims?? Can i go with a 10" wide tire on a 8" rim? Is an inch overhang on each side to much? Maybe i can just run 9" wide 235's...

How about 235-55-17 up front and 255-55-17 (28") out back? both will fit on a 17x8 rim and fill out the wheel wells nicely. You can get a Goodyear RS-A in this combo. You'll have about 1/2" rake.

You could run the same combo as me, but as mentioned above, front clearance is tight. Those Hopsters have a little more offset (8 mm) than my wheels, which will help. Nitto and Falken are the only tire manufacturers who have this size (I run Nittos).

PocketThunder

So i ran to Goodyear at lunchtime.   RS-A's are $185 and $235.  
They had a Kelly Navigator Platinum for $127 for the fronts, none for the rear.
For the rear i could go with Dunlop Sport Rovers for $199..

So it's looking like about $210 a corner for tires if i want to match the front and rear with the same brand...   maybe tirerack.com has free shipping, their prices are a bit lower than these.....

I'm not driving this car till spring so i'll wait awhile and shop around some more for tires, (and save more money for them)   Guess I gotta pay to play, but wheels/tires make or break the look of any car.   This car will look Bitchen!!

PocketThunder

Looks like Goodyear RS-A's from the tirerack.com website are only $135 and $165.... + $52 for shipping....   thats the winner so far.. :yesnod:      $652 out the door.

PocketThunder

What do you think about KUMHO tires?  I can get 235/55's in the KH11 series for $123 and 255/55's in the 711 series for $99.  The tires have different tread patterns thought but both are blackwall and say KUMHO KH11 and KUMHO 711 on the side.  I guess i can save $200 on tires if i go this route but i'm afraid it will look goofy having two different tread designs on the front and back....  :shruggy:

NYCMille

I'm running 17x9s up front with 255/45/17s and 18x10s out back with 285/40/18s... I run MagnumForce adjustable tubular upper control arms in the front as well as have NO rubbing issues...

471_Magnum

Kuhmos are cheap, but seem to be decent quality. I have a set on my daily driver (not sure which model). If you can get past the fact that they are Korean-made, they'll serve their purpose well enough.

The big bonus is you feel a lot less guilt doing a 50 ft smokey with $99 tires versus $165 tires.   ;D   Do enough 50 ft smokeys and the tread difference won't be an issue. :devil:

Take a look at the Nitto 450s. The 225-50-17 / 255-50-17 combination would work well.

gremlinsteve

been following your input guys. if your looking at the khumo's, check out the victorracer. made by them. its a cheapo- sticky race type tire. used to run them instead of the nitto drag radials. there made for scca road racer cars. very good tire.

steve

PocketThunder

I do plan on burning some 50' patches, so the Kumho's would be best for that.  However, if i shell out $165 for Goodyears, i would be hesitant to do too many burnouts and then that would probably keep me out of trouble. 

The Nitto 450's are looking about $134 and $152 with free shipping.  $572 out the door.  Not a bad price, they are in the running. 

471_Magnum

Look at the Kumho Ecsta STX

They have a 225-55-17 (26.8") and a 255-50-17 (27.1"). Size-wize they are just about perfect.

Yeah, I know they are listed as light truck tires, but that's essentially what you're looking at on any tire in this size range.

Edit: $100/corner from the Tire Rack! That's about as close as you're going to get to a guilt-free burn-out with a 17" tire!   :boogie:

I'd be tempted to run 255s at all four corners so you can rotate. That would give a bit more of a Nascar look as well.

PocketThunder

Quote from: 471_Magnum on January 07, 2006, 08:12:36 AM
Look at the Kumho Ecsta STX

They have a 225-55-17 (26.8") and a 255-50-17 (27.1"). Size-wize they are just about perfect.

Yeah, I know they are listed as light truck tires, but that's essentially what you're looking at on any tire in this size range.

Edit: $100/corner from the Tire Rack! That's about as close as you're going to get to a guilt-free burn-out with a 17" tire!   :boogie:

I'd be tempted to run 255s at all four corners so you can rotate. That would give a bit more of a Nascar look as well.

thats what i'd like to do, but will 255's rub on the front? or just be a little tight...

471_Magnum

If they rub, it will only be at the most extreme steering angle and/or suspension compression.

BTW, today I discovered my 275's out back will rub when the suspension compresses completely. I hit a dip in the road to fast while out on a joy ride. By the time I saw it coming, all I could do was clench my teeth. WHAM... down on the bump stops. :o I think I shortened my spine by an inch or so. :scared: Luckily no damage anywhere other than a rub mark on the inner wheel house.

PocketThunder

Can i run a 30" tall tire and get away with it?

Kumho STX comes in 275-60-17 for $95 at tirerack.com  :drive:

471_Magnum

Wouldn't recommend 30" tires on a street car due to the potential clearance issues. Guys run slicks that big, but not on the street. Furthermore unless you're running 4.10s and/or a high stall converter, they'll turn your car into a slug.

PocketThunder

Well i finally bought tires today.  I went with:

255/50WR17  Kumho ECSTA Supra 712 

I was all set to go with Kumho Ecsta STX but when i checked the tirerack.com site they had these other ones pop up for $101 each.  I'll post pictures here when i get them on the car in April sometime.  and then its gonna be  :drive:

Paul

PocketThunder

Got the wheels on the car Saturday finally....  The torsion bars need to be turned up, we just got them in and had to get the car moved out of the shop for the day.  The front tires rubbed a little when we turned the wheels but after i get the torsion bars adjusted there should be about 1/2" clearance between the front edge of the wheel at the fender. 
I'll get some better pics in two weeks when i go back to finish her up.

Paul
in St. Paul

Blown70

:o  That is really starting to look nice.  :devil:  How long those tires gunna last... :devil:

PocketThunder

Quote from: Blown70 on May 07, 2006, 12:31:33 PM
:o  That is really starting to look nice.  :devil:  How long those tires gunna last... :devil:
dont know, dont care... :icon_smile_big: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive:

Brent69

Hey Paul,
Looks great!  You wanna summarize for me/us?  What are the specs on the wheels and tires in the pictures?  Estimated cost too if you don't mind.

Also, what kind of seats are you using?  Those look nice too.  Any problems mounting them, and where did you get them.

Congratulations!  Everything looks great.
Brent

471_Magnum

Quote from: PocketThunder on May 07, 2006, 10:15:52 PM
You will. One thing I've learned over the last year is that 17s don't hook... at least not behind my motor and 4.10s.

I'm considering going back to 15's so I can find a tire that sticks.

PocketThunder

Quote from: Brent69 on May 08, 2006, 11:52:58 AM
Hey Paul,
Looks great!  You wanna summarize for me/us?  What are the specs on the wheels and tires in the pictures?  Estimated cost too if you don't mind.

Also, what kind of seats are you using?  Those look nice too.  Any problems mounting them, and where did you get them.

Congratulations!  Everything looks great.
Brent

Thanks.  tire info from above. 

Quote from: PocketThunder on March 16, 2006, 04:24:07 PM
Well i finally bought tires today.  I went with:

255/50WR17  Kumho ECSTA Supra 712 

I was all set to go with Kumho Ecsta STX but when i checked the tirerack.com site they had these other ones pop up for $101 each.  I'll post pictures here when i get them on the car in April sometime.  and then its gonna be  :drive:

Paul

The rims are American Racing Hopsters.  I got them used from a add on moparts for $450 total + shipping.  So that was about 1/2 price of new ones.  The seats are out of a '03 Dodge Intrepid and are comfy as all get out!  Leather, power, just very nice to sit in.  I have to get them recovered in pearl white to match the back seat.  but they will stay Charcoal Gray for now because i'm in the poor house right now.  Mounting them wasnt too bad.  i used the front inside holes and had to drill for the other 3 and add washers for extra strength.  I probably should make up some reinforcing plates and put underneath also for extra measure.  The one motor does rub a little on the floor where it humps up in the middle.   

Paul
in St. Paul

PocketThunder

Quote from: 471_Magnum on May 08, 2006, 12:21:54 PM
Quote from: PocketThunder on May 07, 2006, 10:15:52 PM
You will. One thing I've learned over the last year is that 17s don't hook... at least not behind my motor and 4.10s.

I'm considering going back to 15's so I can find a tire that sticks.

Ya i'm wondering how it will all turn out.  guess i'll find out in a couple weeks.

4402tuff4u

Dayum Paul (PT), no way am I catching you now. You are basically done!!! you suck!  :icon_smile_big:

Looks awesome!! Nice job. :2thumbs:
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

PocketThunder

Well the front tires are rubbing badly.  With the torsion bars all the way down or up they rub.  Maybe i need to do some more playing around with it.  I didnt have much time Saturday once i got to that part.   Otherwise I'll have to buy smaller front tires (8" wide) and I'll have an extra set for the back.

471_Magnum

Quote from: PocketThunder on May 22, 2006, 10:32:36 AM
Well the front tires are rubbing badly. With the torsion bars all the way down or up they rub.

Where? Inboard?

PocketThunder

lower front corner of the wheel opening just forward of the tire.. (South east of the marker light)  both sides the same.  what do you think?

I'll be back there tomorrow night and i'll get some pics of it.   

471_Magnum

Mine is real close in that spot. I've got about 1" clearance. You've got a hair more back space IIRC. You should be better off.

Only other obvious difference I can think of is I run 11.75" front disc brakes.

That sucks. >:(

PocketThunder

I have the smaller disc brake rotors on it now(10.??"), i'll check into it.

471_Magnum

Maybe those Khumos run real big. Measure the tread width. I can't believe they would be that much bigger than my Nittos.

Have you verified the back space? Any chance those wheels have some negative offset? Has your car been wrecked? Fenders may be hanging low in front.

Measure your front track width.

I feel bad since I steered you to those wheels and that tire size. Dang.

471_Magnum

For referrence, here's a couple pics of mine in the area of concern. There is about 3/4" clearance with the wheel turned.