News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

When is the last time you saw a 66-74 Charger "in the wild?"

Started by bull, April 12, 2006, 01:53:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brock Samson

this makes me laugh as i type it...

today, leaving easter services with my GF, what's comming down the deserted Palo Alto street but a pefectly stock medium blue '68 with deep dish wheel covers,.. my jaw dropped,.. a calif black plate special.. so i went out into the middle of the street like a danged idiot, determined to converse with the driver (an older gent) and offer to buy the car and/or trade him my GF... inspite of my repeated shouts, whistles, arm waving and running after him, he failed to heed my suggestions that he stop... he puttered on seemingly without noticing me..  >:(

Ghoste

He was probably thinking to himself something like, "damn hippies, always trying to spoil my fun with their ecology rants".   ;)

MassCharger73

Took the Ponty-yack out for a cruise last night and spotted a 73 or 4 SE with a power bulge and the vinyl top removed. It was painted Hemi orange. Also craned my neck to see the red 1st gen ( behind the guys house ) on the way back to my house.
1973 Charger

bull

Whoa! Just saw a red '68 with a black vinyl top going down the street in front of my shop at work. Weird timing too. I rarely leave the shop for lunch and when I do I rarely drive straight back to work with my food but I saw it as I was pulling into the driveway. For a second I thought about chasing him down but what do you say once you catch them? Duh, nice car, I gots one too.

mikepmcs

Today, I went and saw a 73 off a side road that my buddy told me to check out cause they were asking 1900obo.  So i thought alright, went and checked it out( camera in hand)
But it wasn't 1900 it was 4900obo.  That being said I met with the gentleman who's selling it and told him I would try to help him out and explained this web site to him. 
Here goes:

He is the second owner, the original owner drove it to florida every winter to escape harsh new england weather.  It's a 318 auto column shift,  straight, number's matching and solid underneath with 119K.  I couldn't get way under due to the mud(that's classified as it's own season in Maine by the way).  The seats need help, needs new headliner, needs new dash, needs new vinyl top.  The rear springs are sprung and will need to be replaced.  The trunk has had a patch put in on the passenger side, there is surface rust on the bottom of the trunk pan that I can see, don't know if it's bad cause the tanks in the way.  The trunk looked solid to me in the middle from up top though.  It has one ding in the whole car(body) and it's in the drivers's rear above the side marker. The bumpers don't need anything but rechrome or dirve the way they are, there is a ding in one of them I can't remember now, but think it's the front.  The vinyl top needs replaced and it has the typical rot right under both corners of the windows.  The only bondo that I could see was on the driver's inside door(door jutted out on the bottom just a scosh so I investigated).  He had the car reshot from the febnders down all the way around.  Trunk and hood still hold the original paint.  It has the fender tag still in place and the motor was dirty and had some typical leaks normal for it's life, but it runs. New tires too.  It passed a Maine inspection(last year, car hasn't been driven since jun2005, at least that's when the tags expired) which they don't give away when cars are this old.
This was a very straight original car and was happy to just see it.  I'm not intersted in it but thought someone might be here.
If you have any more questions feel free to call him.  His name is Terry Lewis, lives in gray maine, and his number is 207 657-7785 (i have his permission to post this)
I have included some pictures of the car(2 were corrupt on my disk when I returned home and they were,of course, the best ones so these are all I have left)

Feel free to ask me any questions and I will try to tell you everything I know.
here you go on the pictures, i hope this works.
v/r
Mike

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

bull

That price seems pretty high to me but I don't know 3rd gen values very well.

I kept seeing a '69 here in Portland, Oregon about three years ago so I finally stopped in to ask about it. Some 40-year-old lady with a suspended license owned it and honestly believed it was worth $12k even though it was a 318 car and needed a total restoration. I kept stopping in to talk to her and finally convinced her it was worth about 1/3 what she was asking and found a guy on the old website who wanted to buy it. IIRC he picked it up for $4k or $5k and shipped back home to Nevada. I wish I could remember who it was that bought it so I could check in on the progress. It was pretty straight and solid for rust but the interior was hammered and it needed paint.

JimShine

I paid $4500 for my '69 318 car that needed lots of help and felt good about what I paid for it.

mikepmcs

Jim
I wish I could have got that deal, you did well, be proud.   And what did you pay for that 68 again :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:
You are the master when it comes to gettin' the 2nd gens!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

JimShine

You must mean the '68. Well here it is. In the end it was $1K.

JimShine

mikepmcs

Nah, i meant the 68.  i remembered what you paid, i was being a smart guy.  guess it wasn't that funny.  my bad

myk

I can't remember the last time I saw a Charger on the road, as it's been that long.  I have to wonder how many people end up talking about seeing my car on the road, as I drive it at least 3 times a week...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

SeattleCharger

I can remember each time I saw a Charger in my adult life that was driving around, maybe twice, and saw a couple parked before, so four total, and I'm 37. Each time I drive near where I saw the one driving in downtown Seattle, I remember that, and I imagine driving my car around downtown Seattle, that inspires me to get my car on the road.     

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

Jon Smith

I saw a couple on the road when i went on holiday to colorado 10 years ago
seen loads at or near events in the UK, but never when theres nothing on, except when visiting mopar traders etc..
there are a few mopars in my home town, I know of a 69 roadrunner and 71 challenger, and i've seen a 72 roadrunner and a cuda around town in the past
best "in the wild" sighting i've had in th UK though is when we passed a superbird on the motorway once  :icon_smile_cool:

SeattleCharger

Saw this car parked a ways down the street I live on last summer, didn't see it again til a couple weeks ago when the guy had his garage door open.
    Today I saw him at Sev,  asked about his car.  Says he's had it twenty years.   Told him about the site and he wanted me to write down the name, hopefully we'll see him around here.
   He said he knows lots of Mopar guys with parts, etc. when I told him I have a '68 Charger,  good deal.

This car has roll bar, chrome tunnel ram type thing sticking out of hood, not sure what type,  huge nitrous tank where back seat would be.  Car is lowered.   Sounded awesome.   Had to listen to him start it up and cruise out on the street,  :icon_smile_big:

NHCharger

Here's a pic from the "wilds" of New Hampshire last week.
A 340 Duster, my 72 Charger, a 383 GTS Dart, a 70Hemi RR with on 44k miles.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Brock Samson

that orange one above looks to be conciderably lightened, with the fiber glass front clip and no side markers or trim..
          "dodgecharger.com who would need to write that down?..

generalfan01

saw one today at work, it was a 73 i think with the hide away lights, 440 i think, orange black stripe, black vynal roof, black interior, ive seen it a couple times, wonder who owns it!?

RT DAVE

Saw one today while I was taking pictures of cows.   I was a city block away so this is the best I got.   Here's a pic of a cow too... 
68 CHARGER RT<br />06 MAGNUM RT<br />02 INTREPID SXT

41husk

There is a guy just down the road from me who drives a 74 big block SE everyday.  I have talked to him, not really into mopars said he just likes the car and can't afford a new one.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Sweet T

I saw 2 yesterday.  I thought about stopping and talking  to the guy but I really didn't have much to say except hey I have one of these can I check your cars out.  Technically the first one was still in the guys driveway and he was installing something but it had a dealer plate on so it was going or had been somewhere.  It was a sublime 1970 RT.  Then I noticed he had another one sitting in the garage, a dark green 69?.  Not one out in the wild.  It looked to be in the middle of a restoration.  I don't know if this guy is a member on here, the cars were located just outside London Ontario.
No, it ain't a Hemi.....thank God!

41husk

I never have a problem talking to someone about my cars.  I live back on a culdasack so I don't get many stoppers, but I am sure the guy would have enjoyed talking to you about your cars.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

SeattleCharger

Quote from: Brock Samson on August 27, 2006, 10:20:51 AM
that orange one above looks to be conciderably lightened, with the fiber glass front clip and no side markers or trim..
          "dodgecharger.com who would need to write that down?..

Hey, saw him again today at gas station.    Yup, you were right, 3300 lbs. he said.   Got a couple pics of front, where's my camera,

Ghoste

Somebody brought a 72 Charger to our cruise night last night and I hadn't seen the car before.  Unfortunately, I didn't get to look at it or talk to the owner because I foolishly brought my 6 year old with me and she drove me nuts before I got to the car and I had to bring her home. (not her fault, she didn't want to go in the first place and when I talked her into it, I promised if she wasn't having fun I'd bring her straight home)
Anyway, I'll find out something about the car I'm sure.

69 Charger SE

I have actually seen more of them in the wild overseas the I do over here anymore.