News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

When is the last time you saw a 66-74 Charger "in the wild?"

Started by bull, April 12, 2006, 01:53:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Finn

:o

Wouldn't that be a shame if were to just roll itself onto a trailer one night and disappear to some restoration shop...

What a time capsule!
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

grdprx

Saw another 3rd gen on the way into work this morning...

Quick cell phone pic proved once again why your not supposed to use these things while driving!  LOL

Charger440RDN

Quote from: grdprx on November 26, 2009, 12:47:50 AM

Quick cell phone pic proved once again why your not supposed to use these things while driving!  LOL

I saw an orange 71 Charger on my way to work yesterday, the second time I have seen it on that street in the morning. I tried to take a cell phone pic but he was going so fast I couldn't catch up.  :brickwall:

grdprx

The one I saw was going so slow, I passed him up to check it out; and had to wait up for him to pass as I exited...  Almost sat at a Green light... haha!

GREEN684SPD

i guess my buddy just picked up this 68 fairly cheap..

squeakfinder

Oh that's brutal! You have teased us with that picture!  :2thumbs:
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

grdprx

Man, I saw a sweet red 69 RT in downtown Auburn, WA yesterday!  Light turned green just as I saw it, and I was turning right..   :brickwall:  :brickwall:

I whipped around the block and jumped out, hoping it got caught at the next light, but I missed it....  No pic  :flame:

Was the first time I'd seen a 69 in the wild!  (around car shows aren't exactally wild, if you know what I mean.)

Musicman

A few sad examples found in a SC junk yard this past spring... Very strange yard, almost entirely older vehicles from model T's to 3rd gen Chargers, with a few modern cars splashed in there as well... several of the vehicles in this yard look nearly mint, but there they sit, side by side with all the other scrap. I'd post a few examples, but their non-Mopar...
MOPAR is considered to be a bad word in that area... "WE CRUSH THAT SHIT" is the common phrase uttered by most salvage yard owners in that neck of the woods.

THE STIG

Sometime in the summer of 08 I saw a rough looking 2nd gen, I want to say it was a 68 but I'm not certain. It was in the about the same condition as my 70, being driven by a fairly younger (than me) looking dude. I pulled up next to him in my Toyota Carolla and he caught me staring and waved. That same summer I passed a used car lot and saw a sweet looking 73 SE body and interior were near perfect it had a 318 under the hood, slap stick auto, slot wheels and a sunroof. It was fire engine red with a black top. The sales man said they wanted $5,000, and I thought it was a bit high after a few days I thought I would try and see if they deal but it was gone.  I still have the pics on my phone but don't know how to post them on here. This past Oct. I found a 70 in a classified ad on ebay, it looked very much like the one I had seen the summer before, but when I went to look at it the seller was an older (than me) guy not the young dude I'd seen the summer before after looking at it I saw myself driving it home. I found this one on craigslist here in Indiana if anyone is looking http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/1522076956.html if I had the $$$ I'd see myself putting that in my garage right next to my 70.

Finn

:o wow that 68 charger and 70 challenger look like great projects...
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

Musicman

Quote from: Finn on December 30, 2009, 02:10:06 PM
:o wow that 68 charger and 70 challenger look like great projects...

The Chally was covered when I found it, so I pulled the tarp back a bit just to get the shot. I lifted the tarp in a few other spots and it was in very nice shape, just filthy from laying out there for who knows how many years.

The 68 had a black vinyl top originally... it had been pretty well picked over in terms of misc. trim pieces etc. There was a little damage to the front passenger side (seen in the other pic), but the rest of the body was OK if I remember correctly. Here's a couple of other shots... they don't really show much though, but it's all I have.

Finn

Thanks for posting!  :cheers:
Does that yard sell the entire car or parts only?
I hate seeing cars that could be save just sit and rot, waiting to be picked clean enough to crush  :eek2:
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

Grim Jhaixus

The area I live in is all Mustangs. Spotless 65s at every 3rd stoplight. There are about a dozen Mopars drivable in the county, but I'm the only daily driver.
"Scars" 1973 Base 318/904 Originally B5

Married on November 23rd, 2009
Fried all the electricals two weeks after purchase
Set on fire ~twice~
Overheated til it would diesel a full five minutes ~twice~

Never once didn't start, never stranded me, never once did not take me where I needed to go. Daily driver of 4+ years.

Currently undergoing 413/727 swap after I finally beat the 318 til it lost a headgasket. The kicker is the 318 still cranks and runs like nothing is wrong. I love my ca

Musicman

Quote from: Finn on December 30, 2009, 07:50:24 PM
Thanks for posting!  :cheers:
Does that yard sell the entire car or parts only?
I hate seeing cars that could be save just sit and rot, waiting to be picked clean enough to crush  :eek2:

They try to sell the whole car if they can... they really don't like parting them out if they don't have to. They have several vehicles there that they use just for parts, and those are the ones that they point you too if that's what your looking for. They actually have quite an assortment of fully restored vehicles for sale that they put together themselves from various recks in the yard. There are some pretty cool cars there...

69bronzeT5

Pictured these few today. Spotted the red 3rd Gen years ago and lost track of it. All these years I thought it was a '71 R/T but today I found out I was wrong. It's actually a '73-'74 with the R/T stripes from what I can tell. Pardon the horrible picture, my cheapo camera I had with me dosen't take good far shots. I couldn't find my nice Canon when I went to leave on my roadtrip to my mom's. I took the pictures of these two cars on my way home. I'll come back with my Canon sometime and get a shot of the red one again. I was in a rush to get home so I couldn't get out of the truck to get some good shots of the gold '73. It's a base 318 car though (I've checked it out before but didn't have a camera)

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

TheGhost

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

mauve66

hteres also a Kearney, Kansas or Nebraska, but i didn't check to see where the poster was from
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

69bronzeT5

Chris is from New Jersey so I'm assuming he means there...
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

rp23g7

Whew, thought i was resurecting a old thread until i looked at the date. 

Looks like a lot of you guys live around the Seattle area, and Oregon.  I havent really seen anyone driving anything really.  I saw a faded blue Road Runner the other day, in Bothell.  We go down to Oregon, Depot Bay, and Bend a lot too, never really see anyone.

Must not be in the right place at the right time.

squeakfinder

Quote from: rp23g7 on January 07, 2010, 02:57:05 PM
Whew, thought i was resurecting a old thread until i looked at the date. 

Looks like a lot of you guys live around the Seattle area, and Oregon.  I havent really seen anyone driving anything really.  I saw a faded blue Road Runner the other day, in Bothell.  We go down to Oregon, Depot Bay, and Bend a lot too, never really see anyone.

Must not be in the right place at the right time.

Seems like all the good mopar shows are in your area, but yeah, this time of the year with all the rocks on the road, makes them even more scarce. My car is no trailer queen but I'm a little leery of driving it wright now for fear of a broken grille or windshield.

Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

Musicman

I had heard about a Silver 3rd Gen Charger in the area, but I've never seen it... until this afternoon that is. We had some weather down here this morning on the VA coast, high winds etc... enough to blow the cover off this Charger. Turns out the Charger is parked right here at the apartment complex I'm staying at while down here on work assignment.

SG1022

Quote from: Brock Samson on November 09, 2009, 12:59:28 PM
checked on the progress of this one,...  :-\  as it slowly returns to the elements...

where was that picture taken?

rp23g7

The weather was pretty nice on Sat around here, so we decided to go on a little cruise.  Put 50 miles on the Coronet, for you Northwest guys, we went down 405 to Bellevue, took 112th , went up Bellevue Way though Kirkland, then Juanita and Bothell.

Didnt see any other MoPars, but got the thumbs up from a family in a nice 55 Bel Air, a guy in a new 500 SL held up traffic at a light looking at it, and a little kid and his dad walked around a corner with his dad, when we were sitting at a light and yelled "Oh SH*t, Dad, thats a real car isnt it?  Pulled into a parking lot so they could look at it, and parked on the street to have lunch, bunch of people stopped and took pictures with their camera phones etc

Akron_Charger

Quote from: grdprx on November 26, 2009, 12:47:50 AM

Where was this taken? It looks a bit like my car