News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

R4 Daytona SE w/ 6-pack coming up for auction

Started by Just 6T9 CHGR, September 13, 2008, 05:23:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beep Beep Dave

The car was bought by a collector up here. I am surprised to hear that he is listing it at the RM auction. I will have to do some digging.
The car did sell for $112,500. Plus 17% buyers fee, plus 13% tax. That adds up to a hair under $150k.
Dave
'69-1/2 SIXPACK/SIXBBL REGISTRY On-Line Registry for the Lift Off Hood cars!!!
Maple Leaf Mopars your Canadian Mopar site.

1970 Charger R/T

hemigeno

Here's the quote from the DSAC/Moparstyle forum:

QuoteAnyway, the car sold at auction this morning for 112K Canadian plus a 17.5% buyers fee (as the bid came in on-line) for a total of $131,600CDN or aprox $118,500US.

I haven't taken the time to do the math or convert everything from Canadian to US Dollars, but the 'Style thread's sale price was initially given in $Canadian, markup added and then (supposedly) converted to US$.  I dunno...   :shruggy:

moparstuart

seem like a very good price to me , even in a bad economy

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

69_500

Doesn't seem out of wack to any other prices lately, then again it is a far cry from what they were asking before isn't it?  ;)

Ghoste

I haven't seen the car.  I am assuming it was the same one because I was told that it was a "dealer installed" Six Pack Daytona (I'm not talking about the legitimacy of that statement I am merely relaying what was reported to me).  How many Six Pack Daytonas could there be running around up here?  It is also possible that they had a slot reserved in the auction in case it didn't sell in this current one.  I'll be at the shop this Friday so I'll find out more then.

Ghoste

The guy who consigned the car is already in England for the RM auction coming up there so I wasn't able to get any more info on this car.  No one in the office had physically seen it, it was nothing but another lot number to them.  I'm afraid I'll have to wait until next week before I can find out any more.

69_500

So how much inspection of the car do you think that you'll be able to do? And will we be able to see any more pictures of it :)

boy I'm pushy aren't I .

Ghoste

I'll have complete access to it, tell me what pics you want specifically and I'll get them.

69_500

Hmmmm, that could be a quite lengthy list.

I'd take any and all pictures you'd be willing to take for me. You know me, I'm nosey on cars, and well I take a lot of pictures of cars I look at.

maxwellwedge

Hi All,
I bought the "Doc-Tona". It is in my garage and staying here. I don't know what RM is selling at the dog show but it is not my car.
Quick facts.
I found a buildsheet  :icon_smile_big:  It is not for my 'Tona  though  :'(
Funny thing is the sheet I found was for a May 15 Scheduled date. Here are some of the numbers on it:

XX29L9B381555
R4
D21
A33
DATE: 515   SO #927124
SEQ # 098606

Anyone know if this car still lives?
Funny that the the SPD is 3 weeks before mine.

Here are some other dates and findings I pulled off the car:

The shift knob (auto) is the earlier chrome one (So was the Dressler Daytona), while my other Daytona (2 #'s off of Dresslers on both the VIN and order #) has the wood knob.

The wheels are all dated 2 12 69 -ALL 5 Wheels - Who changes all 5 wheels?

The glass, washer bottle, wiper motor, hood catch and a bunch of other stuff are all early dates.

You have all seen the pictures of the finished, semi-finished and not started yet Daytona's /Chargers lined up in the parking lot. The car jockey's are not going to move all the later built Charger R/T's out of the way to get the ones stacked up in the front of the line thinking Oh, I better get the one with the lower VIN.

The early VIN's mentioned before have way later ship dates. This is documented. Yes they were the first Charger R/T's destined to Creative but not the first cars converted and shipped.

What does this all mean?

I think (just my opinion based on the trends I have observed) that while not completely backwards (early Dodge built Charger R/T to later shipped 'Tona) that there were bunches of later VIN'd cars that were among the first conversions due to the "stack-up" of waiting in the lot Chargers.

And.... Maybe, just maybe the Canadian cars were built earlier (as Chargers) and VIN'd with the assigned 414 numbers as Planning had already laid out. I don't know how else to explain all the early components on the car. I have the Window Sticker on my other 'Tona and it shows an SPD of 427 but a ship date (on the sticker - not sure where it is on the list) of 8-30. It is 356532 or as I call it - The "Disco-Tona" (Wild 1970 paint job - We discussed this a year or 2 ago).

I do have 2 typed in by the dealer Warranty cards - The pages are stuck together and I have to find a way to steam them apart. Until I can open the pages fully I am guessing one is for the kid that bought it with a bum check and the other is the good doctor.

The original Intake, Carb, Air Cleaner and Valve covers came with the car. The valve covers still have the original markings on them and the carb still has the original plastic limiting caps on it. The Six-Pack has later carbs so the dealer installed story is BS.

The only wing brace is the plate under the quarter panel. NO vertical braces were ever installed. No holes in the original trunk mat or in the trunk pan. None. Never.
I asked Roger Gibson about this and he wants me to try and slide an original set of braces in to see if they fit. Creative may have had trouble with this car or they rushed it out to do the Toronto Auto Show or they just screwed up and forgot.

If the car is the first one shipped I don't think of it in a monetary aspect - Only the "That's Kinda Cool" aspect.

P.S. The sheet metal on this car is tub-thumping solid...The paint job is slightly worse than Creative's :^)

I have been cleaning the car up for the last week and will post some pics (if you like) in a week or two. I am going to rebuild the original carb and put it and the intake back on. The exhaust manifolds still have all their brackets and shields still on.
The distributor is still the original and so are the spark plug wires! Sorry to a previous poster but I love the "Joe Mannix" simulated mag wheel covers.
I used to own another Canadian SE #665   Sold it to a friend in Ontario - He restored it and still owns it.

Cheers,
Jim

P.S. - My Toronto sold '69 Hemi-GTX has the same sticker/part# on the Heater Box - Both cars have rear window defoggers - A destined for Canada heater assembly??  Gonna check my Canadian parts book

Ghoste

Great update, thanks!  I like the Doctona and Discotona nicknames too btw.  As for whether or not we'd want pics of it, you're kidding right?

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Beep Beep Dave on September 26, 2008, 12:27:11 PM
Last pic is to show the wiring is missing for the trunk light? Think Creative might have lost it during conversion? Factory mistake? Owner mod?
Who's ever seen a heater box like that? I haven't :shruggy:

Trunk Light wiring is there - Just disconnected. Maybe they unhooked it during the auction while the deck lid stayed open for a few days to save the battery? I'll plug it together and see if it works ok.

Original spare wheel is mounted on the left rear of the car. I figure it was the spare because it is in the nicest shape of all 5 and has R4 overspray on it - So does the filler tube - common on original cars.
Both original jacks and handles came with the car as well.

69_500

Would definitely love the chance to see some more pictures of the car. Heck depending on where you are in the country I'd love to come check the car out. I'm always up for a trip to see an Aero car.

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

maxwellwedge

Quote from: nascarxx29 on October 24, 2008, 03:28:43 PM
congrats Jim on this daytona purchase .Do you still have the custom daytona
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,49243.0.html

Sure do - Going to do the body drop in a few weeks - Paint was wet sanded and buffed and it looks like the '70's again!

maxwellwedge

Quote from: 69_500 on October 24, 2008, 02:52:38 PM
Would definitely love the chance to see some more pictures of the car. Heck depending on where you are in the country I'd love to come check the car out. I'm always up for a trip to see an Aero car.

Hey 69_500
If you are ever up Toronto way I would be happy to show you the cars.

I am taking a boat load of pics as I clean and will post them during the next few weeks.

How come every time a 'Tona gets bought from an auction it's always me that is the purchaser??? Hmmmm, Terry McCann alerted me to both cars....It's his fault!

maxwellwedge

Here are the partially cleaned original valve covers that came off the car. 5 of course denotes automatic. Depending on year I have seen 5, 25 or 125 for auto trans.

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

69_500

Ah don't tempt me to make a trip to toronto. I'd definitely do it for a chance to look at that car. Lets see how long of a drive is that? Looks like about 580 miles or an 9 hour drive. That would be a good weekend trip.

maxwellwedge

Gotta tell you - I am finding some weird-azz stuff on this car - particularly in the nose area - nothing at all like my other car. I'll take some pics and post. Also appears the underside of the deck lid is original paint and I can't find a trace of the jacking labels ever being on. Plugged the trunk light back together and it works like a champ - I guess they unplugged it while the car was on display at the auction house. Car also has factory rear speaker and defogger.
As far as the wrong, earlier build sheet being in my rear seat. Chrysler or Creative's doing? Hmmmm

Ghoste

Well if you do drive up to Toronto Danny, let me know and we'll have to see if we can create a short layover for another look around that 500 near here.
As for the RM connection to the car, it was the same car but the story got crossed up with another one.  The car in Kingston that you purchased was the one that I was thinking of but it wasn't getting consigned to the auction, somebody from the office staff had went to Kingston to look at the car thinking he would buy it and then flip it at the Toronto auction.  Obviously he didn't.  The part where it got relayed to me about a Six Pack Daytona getting consigned came when an A12 car was consgined to the weekend (a very nice car btw) and since both tales wer coming from the same person up front, the guy who reported it to me somehow morphed it into one car.
There was a Superbird clone there though.  I don't think it sold but not much did.

69_500

Hmmmm, a 500 that is near you? I think I know which one that is. HEMI 4 speed  :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:

maxwellwedge

Here is one I used to own - Is it this one or the one out of Windsor?

Jim

Ghoste

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Ghoste on October 28, 2008, 07:51:34 PM
Neither, but you're close on the location.

Hey Ghoste,

Don't worry about me - I am out of room......and $ too!!  :icon_smile_blackeye: