News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone with PIC's of fat tire "ProStreet" Superbirds??

Started by BPTRacing, October 16, 2008, 04:15:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BPTRacing

I saw one at Mopar Nationals years back but never got a picture.

I am one of the dying breed that still loves the look of monster-sized tires under the back of a wicked fast street car.

I am currently in the process of designing a ProStreet toy - Twin Turbo 513cid EFI 1500hp Superbird clone street car. I have been collecting parts for 2 years. The drivetrain is nearly together and am now to the point of getting the bodyman started on the conversion. This forum has been a very valuable source of information. This car will NOT be a satellite with a wing and nose cone. I am trying to do everything I can to make the exterior as correct as possible.

Thanks

Scott
Selling all my current toys to build a Twin Turbo Superbird clone "street" car.

pettybird

Quote from: BPTRacing on October 16, 2008, 04:15:32 PM
I am one of the dying breed that still loves the look of monster-sized tires under the back of a wicked fast street car.

Back!!!  Back to the '80's, I say!!!

Magnumforce's Daytona is a big tire car...and tubbed R bodies aren't hard to find.

hotrod98

Did it look something like this?

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

BPTRacing

OH, OH, OH, ...  aahhhhhhhh - nice pic"s!!!!!
EXACTLY what I am looking for THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!! Any others out there???????

The Sublime is even my 2nd color choice! I have had purple cars since 1978 so I am of course fairly well commited to it it again (particularly since its a clone), but I did have a Sublime 70 Coronet R/T convertible in "84 - Might even be able to trade back for it IF I decide to let go of my 70 GTX.

Scotty

hotrod98

Other than the fat tires, my wife's superbird clone will look very much like this one. Gotta finish the daytona clone first though.
"One project at a time" is our new rule around here.  :yesnod:

Charles Addams

Ghoste

There was also a red tubbed out Daytona clone at the Nats some years ago.  It was vey pro-streeted with a cage and a blower and what have you.

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

hotrod98

Looks green in these photos, but seems like it was yellow.

Charles Addams

BPTRacing

Any more tubbed superbird pics guys??

My project is going VERY slowly, (dang stupid economy) so I need extra stimulus to keep me from going completely nuts!

In addition to the large tires on the back, I am also planning a slightly altered wheel base to allow for better weight transfer. I am moving the front wheel lip forward 2" and the alterKation will be mounted 3" forward from stock. Effectively moving the motor back 3" for better weight bias.

Thanks

Scotty

BigBlockSam

hi Scotty, is that a daytona clone on the trailer? is it for sale?
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

BPTRacing

Sam the pic is my Bird "starter" car - 70 Satellite with the Coronet fenders mounted, but still with the Satellite hood. Also the fenders have have the wheel lip cut and moved forward 2" and duct taped back into position. The wheels are still in the stock location, but will be moved once the AlterKation suspension system is installed.

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

BPTRacing

Here are a pic of my last "fat tire" car. Sold it last year to help speed up the Bird clone project. I REALLY missed not having a drivable race toy this summer!!!

BPTRacing

BPTRacing

Stuart - I have read the entire post on your Convertible project with great interest. Sorry to hear about the mechanical problems! :'(

I had hoped to find you at St. Louis, but all I got was a pic of your car!.

BPTRacing

I suppose since this is my post I can hi-jack it and turn it in to a pictorial of my own project.

I have ALWAYS wanted a Superbird. The closest I got was back in '84 when there was a Lime Green 440-6bbl bird in a barn near Galesburg IL. I had actually seen it at Car Craft Street Machine Nationals back in '82, but this time it was apart and I was told it could be bought. Unfortunately I was driving a new '84 Daytona Turbo and couldn't swing the $7000 I was told it would take to get him to part with it.

After several years of modifying and playing ('78-94) with the 71 Charger Super Bee Clone I already had, I came across a tubbed 71 Charger R/T. That really hooked me on the fat tire look. I finally sold the Super Bee and campaigned the R/T as a street car and race car. With the 512cid stroker motor (back BEFORE strokers kits were available) I was able to run a best of 10.01 at RT 66 in Joliet, Il. I had also picked up a 70 Cuda race car which I raced from '98 to'02, picking up several Top Ten Jackets in Pro and Super Pro.

After a non-car related falling out with my wife, I got divorced in '04 - losing the race trailer and tow dually, as well as several cars (I was up to 13 at the time), and most of my $$.

I have in the last two years been selling parts to build one last (not getting any younger) toy, and figured it should be what I had always wanted in the first place. 1970 Superbird clone ProStreet car.

Found a 70 Satellite body on E-Bay for $500 - "race project started".

Maybe a parts project - definitly NOT a race project! Someone had tried to install narrowed frame rails in the back and a 9" ford. They forgot to leave an arch for suspension travel (straight frame 3" over the axle) and really should have at least taken a beginner welding class. So to get rid of the mess, the rear end was bolted to a cross bar with one bolt and the car was deemed "rolling"

No matter - price was right!

moparstuart

Quote from: BPTRacing on October 22, 2008, 03:41:01 PM
Stuart - I have read the entire post on your Convertible project with great interest. Sorry to hear about the mechanical problems! :'(

I had hoped to find you at St. Louis, but all I got was a pic of your car!.
I was all over the place sorry i missed you , hope to meet you next year !

BPTRacing

Since reading of the 5 & 50 bird, I decided it would be best to get a better front/rear weight bias. So how about an Altered-Wheel base Superbird...Better weight transfer = better traction = faster car....hmmmm.

I came across two Coronet fenders - was told they were nice - bought them unseen for $600. Ooops - as soon as I started working on them I found they had been attacked by rust beetles! Lots-o-holes. Ohh well, trial and error, might as well start cutting up bad fenders before starting on good fenders! Cut out the front wheel lip - moved them forward 2" and installed them on the "toy" for visual effects. Looked "normal" even with the standard suspension. So I'm hoping it will be a barely noticeable change in the car once I have move the front tires forward 3" (1" forward in the wheel opening relative to stock).

BPTRacing

Next I contacted Ted Janak and ordered MOST of a conversion kit from him. Figured with a custom build, I could make my own brackets to replace the Z braces and latch tray. (maybe a lift off nose and tilt front end??  ;))

While waiting for Ted's parts, I located another source for a Fiberglass hood, and even had them make a fiberglass "bolt-on" trunk since apparently up til now only race weight pin-on decks were available. P.S. Anyone needing a nice glass replacement trunk deck?? complete with stock looking underside bracing??  I have access to them!

And E-bay had a set of race seats which I MAY use.

BPTRacing

I have already picked up the trunk lip repair panels and two new rear 1/4's. I have a used rear tail panel, but may break down and get the new AMD panel.

Now I was wondering how I was going to power this lightened, altered wheel base, ProStreet hot rod. What better than the newest trend --- Twin Turbo EFI! Not to mention I have the longest front end available in automotive history for stuffing an intercooler into!

So I came across a great deal on a rotating assembly for a Mega block I already had sitting at the machine shop, and came up with 513cid at 8.8 to 1 compression.

My current plan (subject to change) will have the turbos run to the intercooler and two 3" pipes form the intercooler to a Hilborn shot-gun injection hat I had sitting in the closet. Hilborn has the hat now, being modified with slightly smaller butterflies for EFI/Street use, and they even have an EFI TPS switch and linkage.

My Hilborn cam driven fuel pump has been modified and flow tested for EFI use.

The RMS AlterKation system pictured earlier replaces the torsion bar suspension which should provide ample room for turbo down pipes and doesn't even require a hole in the oil pan for a drag link.

The four-wheel disk brake system has been provided by SSBC brakes and should be more than adequate for the 160mph 1/4 mile goal I have set for this car.

BPTRacing

Of course If I plan to go fast, the car HAS to be SAFE.

I am a certified SFI NHRA Tech inspector, so I know my own car must be right.

Found a nice Chromemoly chassis which I think I can modify to fit the body. BUT, I really want to use the "stock" type frame rail from the firewall forward (to utilize the AlterKation), so I may end up starting the tube chassis over from scratch. That will be determined after I get the body far enough along to to have the chassis guy start thinking about the wheel tubs and roll cage.

I have a dash frame from a GTX (no VIN tag) and modified a ralley interment cluster panel to accept 7 AutoMeter gauges plus the tach and electronic speedometer.

I still need to find the rest of the dash pieces for the GTX dash frame. (hint hint)

moparstuart

wow very cool now i'm really liking your plan     :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:

i'm catching your vision

BigBlockSam

very cool project . keep sharing pics with us. Rene :cheers:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

BPTRacing

Thanks for the kudo's. I'm really trying to build something I can drive in nice weather, and even to the track.

When designing the motor on paper, both the cam company and the turbo supplier figured I should be able to get about 1500hp while still being fairly conservative on 93 octane fuel (about 15psi boost). With the BigStuff-3 fuel management system I can easily re-tune for E-85 and get even more HP. I will likely never turn it up that high except for a chassis dyno test.

Since I don't want to have a "funny car cage" to crawl in and out of every time I drive it, I am designing the Chassis for the NHRA 8.50 Specs. By all paper calculations, I should be able to run near the 8.50 times at about 155mph with only about 1100hp. ("only" LOL YeeHaw!). I have an NHRA SuperComp license to run that fast, but after being in a buddys 69 Trans Am on a 152mph pass, I have decided that is all the faster I care to go anymore. Yeah yeah - I know the wing is intended for 200mph - well not for me! LOL :rotz:

For street-ability I have got a line on a proto-type 4-speed auto trans which has already been proven behind a 950hp Hemi.  The overdrive combined with a 3.89 gear and 31x18.5 tires, should give me 2500 rpm at 65mph. Maybe I am being a little too optimistic, but the idea of a 9 sec street car getting 15mpg sounds like the ultimate street cruiser to me!  :coolgleamA:

Of course even the best plans don't alway come together, but I am trying to complete this project without having to sell my 70 GTX (numbers matching 52K miles 2nd owner). I will however be finding new homes for my 71 Cuda funny car project and my 94 Ram tube chassis project.

Scotty

moparstuart

the charger hood doesnt look to bad on that yellow bird

THE CHARGER PUNK

Quote from: moparstuart on May 30, 2012, 06:25:57 AM
the charger hood doesnt look to bad on that yellow bird

Simple ,effective and it looks great  :coolgleamA:

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Indygenerallee

Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

djcarguy