News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Mice destroying your investments. Read please.

Started by 1969chargerrtse, November 02, 2008, 08:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969chargerrtse

I heard on the news that there was an over population of brown mice or just mice in general out there this year, so I took a trip out to my shed to look around and low and behold what do I see?  Mice built homes in my snow blower and tractor engine. Yuk they smell and clog up the motor fins etc....

I called a friend and asked him what to do. :shruggy:  He said run down to Home cheapo and grab some cheap mouse traps, put a little peanut butter on them and lay them near the outside walls in the shed.  Face them towards the walls as they like to run along the edge.  Well this morning I got the two suckers just like that.  He said keep doing it until they are all gone.  I put a trap in the garage as I found some seeds on top of my intake on the Charger.  When I came back in the am the trap is gone. :shruggy:  got me, I've looked and looked.  Get out there and check your stuff.   They can do a lot of damage. Rob.  :coolgleamA:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Old Moparz

I've had some pretty good results deterring mice with a combination of using the plug-in, ultrasonic repellers, & placing Cling Free dryer sheets all over. I can't say for sure they will work, but before I used these things I had nests & droppings in the garage as well as under the seat in my convertible. I have yet to see traces of rodents being there since using them.

The plug in ones were cheap at Harbor Freight, maybe $9.95 for a 3 pack, but I don't see them on their site now. Here is something similar....

http://homeproductsales.com/shared/viewProductImage.html?http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41HsSDbwMlL._SL500_.jpg

I still have mice get in my basement & use a hav-a-hart trap to catch them, but haven't used dryer sheets down there yet. I'll have to compare what happens after I do.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Magnumcharger

Get a cat.
No, make that two of 'em. :yesnod:
I hate mice!
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

resq302

We have 2 cats and we still had mice in our kitchen. All taken care of with some Victor snap traps.  Mickey is all gone now.  Havent checked out my charger engine yet though as it has not moved in a while.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

terrible one

Man I had the worst problem in my shop when I first got it since it had been abandoned so long. . . I went to Wal-Mart and got those sticky traps and put peanut butter in the middle just as you said. Some of them would get stuck with nothing though, just from running along the wall! I would have mice caught every morning. I caught 16 of them, then found a nest in some junk outside, plucked each of the 6 little babies out, and placed them on a sticky trap my damn self before they got old enough to find it. . . so I guess that makes f*@#(n' 22 of them in all! They haven't been back. I love those sticky traps! They will catch all kinds of other shit too . . . little bugs, etc. . . but maybe I just work in filth?  :shruggy:

Big Lebowski

Quote from: Magnumcharger on November 02, 2008, 09:15:01 PM
Get a cat.
No, make that two of 'em. :yesnod:
I hate mice!

Ya here's my Bobcat resting after the kill. He's fearsome & ferocious ...
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

ramit

I use the sticky traps that are made with a peanut butter flavor.   They work great!   Plus, they catch all sorts of other creepy crawly bugs!

The70RT

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on November 02, 2008, 08:05:57 PM
I heard on the news that there was an over population of brown mice or just mice in general out there this year, so I took a trip out to my shed to look around and low and behold what do I see?  Mice built homes in my snow blower and tractor engine. Yuk they smell and clog up the motor fins etc....

I called a friend and asked him what to do. :shruggy:  He said run down to Home cheapo and grab some cheap mouse traps, put a little peanut butter on them and lay them near the outside walls in the shed.  Face them towards the walls as they like to run along the edge.  Well this morning I got the two suckers just like that.  He said keep doing it until they are all gone.  I put a trap in the garage as I found some seeds on top of my intake on the Charger.  When I came back in the am the trap is gone. :shruggy:  got me, I've looked and looked.  Get out there and check your stuff.   They can do a lot of damage. Rob.  :coolgleamA:

You may have a rat. :shruggy:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

PA Dodger

My Charger was in storage for a few years...since '91. The little rodents took the seat material and carpet underlayment and built a nest in my cowl. I had to cut a section out of the side of my cowl to get the nest and stink out. I've also heard of them building nests in tail pipes and mufflers of long- parked cars. Can you say backpressure?
Put steel wool in your tailpipes when storing. Also,I hear they don't like the smell of peppermint. You can get fresh dried peppermint at some grocery stores. Sure beats mothballs.
You might not be able to keep them out of your house, but your car can be a little more secure.
Dan     
'69 Charger / '69 Dart convertible/ '74 Cuda

Drache

We have a problem with mice and squirrels here so we put moth balls all over the shed where we stored our crap and haven't had a problem although the moth balls don't smell nice either....  :icon_smile_big:
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

71ChallengeHer

Use Irish Spring Soap, it works great and smells better then moth balls.  :2thumbs:

Rolling_Thunder

i used to have mice in my back yard...    just sat back one day with my .22 and plinked...    no more mice.   :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

oldcarnut

I was removing the convertible top off my Firebird and then the seats.  I found roasted peanut shells and mice turds under each side and have no idea where they got the peanuts from.  I just put in new carpet and floor work so I know they weren't here a few months ago.  I have used those green mouse bars outside and under the house.  I have a big drainage ditch and woods behind the house where rats frequent and it kills them effectively.   I have found the remains of the mouse bars under the hood the 70 RR that I'm getting ready to Bird clone which they had to carry a long way to eat them there.   The best deal I have is the Falcons, Hawks, and Owls that visit often.  Everything small with fur including the neighbors cats disappear  :icon_smile_big:

KS71owner

My dad and I had to replace windshield washer reservoirs on my grandmother's car twice because mice kept chewing the bottom out of them. I've never had problems with any of my cars, but I should probably check on my Charger since it's been garaged for a while now....I will put the steel wool in the tailpipes though, that works great at keeping them out.

bordin34

Strangely, my dad's mustang which gets used at least once a weak has evidence of mice on the intake, while my car which moves maybe once a month has never had any evidence.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

BMOTOXSTAR

Yeah,
  There was plenty of mice dung or even rat maybe, all on top my manifold. :RantExplode:
It looked like Feces Mountain. :-\
Had to grab the shop vac for that one. :D

One year I had not rode my dirt bike for about 2 months and it would not start, Checked everything, top end, electrical, fuel. It would always start on one kick, Honda of course.
Well the mice made a nest in my silencer. Man, took hours to find that one out. :flame:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

tommymac

Whats with the manifolds all the time?I don't have any mice now because I put one of those Electronic buzzers in each corner outlet of my 22x22 garage I don,t see any critters and HONEY loves it. no chewers.

GeneralLeeTESH

OK-HERE"s my solution (got this from a Hot Rod magazine issue)-USE BOUNCE fabric softener  sheets ! I had a 2 inch pile of rat turds and PISS on the intake manifold of my ford mustang last year. I put BOUNCE fabric sheets in the seats, on the intake manifold, under dash, the trunk, etc. NOW-no more MICE problems !
The TESH

moparstuart

Quote from: GeneralLeeTESH on November 07, 2008, 01:28:58 PM
OK-HERE"s my solution (got this from a Hot Rod magazine issue)-USE BOUNCE fabric softener  sheets ! I had a 2 inch pile of rat turds and PISS on the intake manifold of my ford mustang last year. I put BOUNCE fabric sheets in the seats, on the intake manifold, under dash, the trunk, etc. NOW-no more MICE problems !
cool and your car will smell nice and fresh   :smilielol:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Ghoste

I've used the Bounce method myself.  No problems with mice so far but I can't prove it's the Bounce either, there just may have not been any mice enter my garage to test it.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: GeneralLeeTESH on November 07, 2008, 01:28:58 PM
Nice, will do.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

BronzeOnSteelies

A buddy told me about the bounce dryer sheets and I have been using that method since. No mice yet. Good to hear you had some proof it works Gen Lee T.

They are around, they get into our window well which apparently is just the right depth because they die there. My wife wanted to cover it up and I said no way, that is the best mouse trap we got.
68 MM1 (Turbine Bronze) R/T