News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

C500 wheel options

Started by C500, November 12, 2008, 03:51:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C500

I plan on having a few different wheels available to put on the C500. What were the options available? Does anyone have a similar graphic to the 68 one posted here but for 69 please. I've searched the site and couldn't find anything.

Thanks, Dunk
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

moparstuart

Date wise i know not many 500 could have gotten the recall wheel but they look the best.  They are what i'm puttin on my 500 .

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

C500

Quote from: moparstuart on November 12, 2008, 03:54:48 PM
i know not many could have gotten the recall wheel but they look the best.  they are what i'm puttin on my 500 .

yeah, I've gotta agree, the recalls do look superb  :drool5:
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

PocketThunder

Quote from: Kiwi68 on November 12, 2008, 03:56:51 PM
i know not many could have gotten the recall wheel but they look the best.  they are what i'm puttin on my 500 .

Dunk, when was your car built?
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

hemigeno

Here's the page from the '69 Dealer Data Book (shamelessly swiped from Chris' '69 Charger Registry site  :P )

C500

Quote from: PocketThunder on November 12, 2008, 04:10:46 PM
Quote from: Kiwi68 on November 12, 2008, 03:56:51 PM

Dunk, when was your car built?

I'm not sure Paul. Won't see the car until next week when I'll check the fender tag, but vin ends in 210711. Does this help?

C500

Quote from: hemigeno on November 12, 2008, 04:11:13 PM
Here's the page from the '69 Dealer Data Book (shamelessly swiped from Chris' '69 Charger Registry site  :P )

Thanks Geno, brilliant!! That brings the next question...are the dog dish caps identical for both 14 and 15 inch wheels (i'm guessing they are). I'm thinking of running a set of 14 inch wheels that will fit both the dog dish caps or the bullitt style W15 covers, plus a set of 15 inch magnums. That will offer 3 nice variations. I'm interested if any of these combinations would have come on a C500.

Just noticed, the Kelsey hayes wheels and the hemi disc covers are not an option listed  :confused:

Just 6T9 CHGR

No shame Geno!  Thanks for the plug :cheers:

The full manual here....

http://www.1969chargerregistry.com/gallery/facts

More stuff on the site
www.1969chargerregistry.com

PS---the dog dishes are the same for 14 & 15"
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

C500

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on November 12, 2008, 04:42:01 PM

No shame Geno!  Thanks for the plug :cheers:

The full manual here....

http://www.1969chargerregistry.com/gallery/facts

More stuff on the site
www.1969chargerregistry.com

PS---the dog dishes are the same for 14 & 15"

Thanks Chris  :2thumbs:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Kiwi68 on November 12, 2008, 04:29:41 PM

Just noticed, the Kelsey hayes wheels and the hemi disc covers are not an option listed  :confused:

Funny that you say that...my "repro" copy of the facts & Features manual show the 15" wheel covers....almost looks like it was "modified" after the recall of the Kelsey Hayes wheel
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

69_500

Side note here to kiwi, but your car was built on November 14th if I"m not mistaken. And that was the day that they started to actually put XX on the fender tags on the 500's. Some on B14 say XX others still say XS.
I believe yours was XX.

hemigeno

Thanks Geno, brilliant!! That brings the next question...are the dog dish caps identical for both 14 and 15 inch wheels (i'm guessing they are). I'm thinking of running a set of 14 inch wheels that will fit both the dog dish caps or the bullitt style W15 covers, plus a set of 15 inch magnums. That will offer 3 nice variations. I'm interested if any of these combinations would have come on a C500.

Glad to help out.  As for your 3 variations, the dog dish caps with 14" body-color steel wheels were definitely available, as were the W15 covers - although the 14" steel wheels would have been painted black with that option.  The spare tire would have been painted to match the other 4 wheels on-the-ground, whatever color that would have been - black or body.

Magnum (a/k/a W21 Road Wheels) would have been available, but not in a 15" variety.  On Mopar products, those only came in 14" - and in 1969 they came with a brushed stainess steel trim ring rather than a chromed rim like 1968.

I honestly don't know if you could order a non-hemi-equipped Charger with 15" steel wheels, and I've thought about this some over the past several years.  I've gone through the paperwork I have looking for an answer to this, and haven't found anything that says definitively either way.  When the W23 cast wheels were available, I know it WAS possible - but whether that possibility continued after the W23 option was eliminated in early September is not clear.  A 440 car with Sales Code W25 steel wheels would normally have been given 14" wheels.  If no wheel cover option was specified, it would have been 14" with dog dish caps.  If the W11 wheel covers were spec'd, I think they would have assumed it to be 14" with the "deluxe" wheel covers that look more like they belong on a 4-door Dart.  About the only distinction that could have been made on a new car sales order sheet would have been if a 15" tire was ordered (e.g. Sales Code U65 rather than T83).

The W23 Kelsey Hayes "recall" wheels are listed in the earlier version of the Data Book at the bottom of the page.  To be honest, I hadn't noticed what Chris just pointed out, that the later repro copy of the same page has the reference to the W23 wheels removed and the W11 wheel covers inserted (poorly).  Interesting...   :scratchchin:

C500

Quote from: 69_500 on November 12, 2008, 05:11:28 PM
Side note here to kiwi, but your car was built on November 14th if I"m not mistaken. And that was the day that they started to actually put XX on the fender tags on the 500's. Some on B14 say XX others still say XS.
I believe yours was XX.

yes, mine is XX. thanks for the build date info...it's her birthday tomorrow....better bake a cake!

I know the 68 and 69's have different info on the tag, so I'm about to learn a few new things.  :2thumbs:
I also noticed the fender tag has a little wee tag under one side. I think it has something like 5 or 15 stamped on it. Got me stumped, and will post a pic if nobody knows what it's all about. Unfortunately the tag had been riveted back on, need to locate some tag screws (I'm anal about some of these things being right)

C500

Quote from: hemigeno on November 12, 2008, 05:18:42 PM

Glad to help out.  As for your 3 variations, the dog dish caps with 14" body-color steel wheels were definitely available, as were the W15 covers - although the 14" steel wheels would have been painted black with that option.  The spare tire would have been painted to match the other 4 wheels on-the-ground, whatever color that would have been - black or body.

Magnum (a/k/a W21 Road Wheels) would have been available, but not in a 15" variety.  On Mopar products, those only came in 14" with a brushed stainess steel trim ring.

I honestly don't know if you could order a non-hemi-equipped Charger with 15" steel wheels, and I've thought about this some over the past several years.  I've gone through the paperwork I have looking for an answer to this, and haven't found anything that says definitively either way.  When the W23 cast wheels were available, I know it WAS possible - but whether that possibility continued after the W23 option was eliminated in early September is not clear.  A 440 car with Sales Code W25 steel wheels would normally have been given 14" wheels.  If no wheel cover option was specified, it would have been 14" with dog dish caps.  If the W11 wheel covers were spec'd, I think they would have assumed it to be 14" with the "deluxe" wheel covers that look more like they belong on a 4-door Dart.  About the only distinction that could have been made on a new car sales order sheet would have been if a 15" tire was ordered (e.g. Sales Code U65 rather than T83).

The W23 Kelsey Hayes "recall" wheels are listed in the earlier version of the Data Book at the bottom of the page.  To be honest, I hadn't noticed what Chris just pointed out, that the later repro copy of the same page has the reference to the W23 wheels removed and the W11 wheel covers inserted (poorly).  Interesting...   :scratchchin:

Thanks again Geno. The knowledge and willingness to help from members on this site is incredible........... :cheers: :2thumbs:

hemigeno

Quote from: Kiwi68 on November 12, 2008, 05:44:05 PM
I also noticed the fender tag has a little wee tag under one side. I think it has something like 5 or 15 stamped on it. Got me stumped, and will post a pic if nobody knows what it's all about. Unfortunately the tag had been riveted back on, need to locate some tag screws (I'm anal about some of these things being right)

That little tag you're talking about is where the Inspector signed off on that car at Hamtramck.  At that plant, they used the small little metal strip you are asking about - whereas at the St. Louis assembly plant they used something like a hole punch on the fender tag itself.  It was from where the car was signed off on by one of the final inspectors after the assembly process was completed.

Some Hamtramck cars still have their inspector's tag, some do not.  The strip was prone to breaking off right at the fender tag's edge, so sometimes all that is left is a small remnant/piece right under the left Fender Tag screw. 

UFO

You guys got me checking my data book, I have the full wheelcovers like the facts page Chris posted but it is definitely not done poorly.
Yet the page with the charger 500 has the recall wheels,talk about messing with the sales people.

69_500

I can't think of all the different numbers that I've seen on inspection tags, but there seems to be quite a few varieties.

WingCharger

Recalls are the only wheels I would ever put on a 500 :yesnod: :drool5:

C500

Quote from: WingCharger on November 14, 2008, 07:35:30 AM

They do look great, but there aren't many around. There's a set on ebay, but the price isn't exactlly cheap. The sellers England isn't too flash link

moparstuart

Quote from: Kiwi68 on November 14, 2008, 02:18:21 PM
Quote from: WingCharger on November 14, 2008, 07:35:30 AM

they do look great, but there aren't many around. There's a set on ebay, but the price isn't exactlly cheap link
they repop them but your right they aint cheap  !!!   http://www.specialtywheelsltd.org/chrysler-wheels.html

UFO

Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't the chrome rims sold as aftermarket wheels vs the black rims as Chrysler parts?

Ghoste

Which black and chrome ones are you referring to?  If it's the ones shown in this thread from the factory data guide, those were all available from the assembly plant.  Of course the recall ones weren't available for long, but.

UFO

I meant the ones in the ebay link,they do not use a trim ring.Well the 15x7 is a giveaway that they're aftermarket.

Ghoste

moparstuart

a buddy of mine has a set of factory recalls , with correct penastars on the back with #'s

he says they made a plymouth wheel and a dodge wheel , diffent size center caps.  Any one know which is which ?   He has two dodge and two plymouths ?