News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Looking to buy a General Lee? STAY AWAY FROM BK AUTO!! It's almost over!!!

Started by jb666, November 15, 2008, 12:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikepmcs

Quote from: jb666 on February 04, 2009, 12:37:39 PM
I just talked to the shop owner, who told me not to bother getting a template for the flag/lettering that he's going to paint on the car. When I asked him why, he said "Because I started peeling the flag on the roof and it came off and took the paint down to the primer. The same with the "General Lee" and the "01" on the doors"   

I'm concerned about the General Lee script itself.  Yours is different than LEE 1(fat vs skinny) It's your choice anyway, as I have the skinny for the mere fact it was for John's GL when they had the shootout in california. It was a gift so I put it on.  Then again you could always get the measurements for the other script from the dvd's(the one's I brought down to you) if you slow it way down or screen capture.  Just a thought.
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

joflaig

Quote from: mikepmcs on February 04, 2009, 05:27:12 PM
Quote from: jb666 on February 04, 2009, 12:37:39 PM
I just talked to the shop owner, who told me not to bother getting a template for the flag/lettering that he's going to paint on the car. When I asked him why, he said "Because I started peeling the flag on the roof and it came off and took the paint down to the primer. The same with the "General Lee" and the "01" on the doors"   

I'm concerned about the General Lee script itself.  Yours is different than LEE 1(fat vs skinny) It's your choice anyway, as I have the skinny for the mere fact it was for John's GL when they had the shootout in california. It was a gift so I put it on.  Then again you could always get the measurements for the other script from the dvd's if you slow it way down or screen capture.  Just a thought.
Mike

I had 3 seperate paint jobs for the flag and two for the letters on my GL. The first was what came with it when I bought the car. The flag was the wrong dimensions, colors and incorrect in placement. The letters were decals. I got some stencils/templates for the painter to use off eBay. They turned out to be again the wrong dimensions and totally inaccurate.  The letters were also wrong, squashed together in fact. So after they re-painted the flag and letters (after wiping out the previous paint job) using these stencils I had to have them redo the whole thing over again. This second time I got the flag decal from Phoenix Graphics (who provided the decals for that last movie) and the letters ("Georgia" style) from a member at CGLF. From these decals the painter made stencils for painting. I also gave him many detailed photos of other GLs, which would help them get the position of the painted flag and letters in relation to each other and other parts of the car exactly right. CGLF members can give you more specifics to give to the painter. For instance, the correct colors to use, the distance of the front edge of the flag to the windshield trim and the back edge to the rear window trim, etc.

I strongly advise you provide your painter with many detailed pics and from many angles as well as measurements an color names. And if possible, when they lay down the stencils be there before they shoot the paint to make sure everything looks right.

As you can see once you decide to have these things painted on it will cost thousands to have it redone as opposed to using just the decals. Of course, you can't beat the look of a well done paint job, IMO.

skip68

:popcrn:   Soon,  :popcrn: very soon.   The clock is ticking Jeff.   What do you think will be done first ?   The car or BK ? 
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

jb666

My guess, from previous experience is the CAR will be done first. We all know that certain legal things can be handled quickly, but others take time. I think (if BK survives this) this will be a thorn in their side for a long time to come.  Plus the 26X48" poster I plan on having made up for my "BK DISPLAY" for this summer's car shows will tell quite the story.

As for the lettering, guys.. I know where you're coming from. I'm happy with the style that's on my car now. It's VERY close to the series lettering, and to be totally honest with you here, I'm not looking for "identical".

joflaig

Quote from: jb666 on February 05, 2009, 11:26:54 AM
As for the lettering, guys.. I know where you're coming from. I'm happy with the style that's on my car now. It's VERY close to the series lettering, and to be totally honest with you here, I'm not looking for "identical".

That's fine. My  GL is highly customized to my own taste and not a pure replica by any means EXCEPT for the color of the car, flag, lettering and the 01(s). BUT, I still advise that if you have a personal vision for how you want it turn out you do everything possible to relate this to the painter with as much detail as possible. They cannot read your mind. And like I said to redo it when you go the painted route is extremly expensive. I'm only advising caution because I learned this stuff by making these mistakes.

skip68

skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

jb666

Quote from: joflaig on February 05, 2009, 11:56:02 AM
Quote from: jb666 on February 05, 2009, 11:26:54 AM

That's fine. My  GL is highly customized to my own taste and not a pure replica by any means EXCEPT for the color of the car, flag, lettering and the 01(s). BUT, I still advise that if you have a personal vision for how you want it turn out you do everything possible to relate this to the painter with as much detail as possible. They cannot read your mind. And like I said to redo it when you go the painted route is extremly expensive. I'm only advising caution because I learned this stuff by making these mistakes.

Oh I did.. we've had a couple of meetings and a very long phone conversation.. There's no miscommunication here. Also, I'm going to be stopping in once a week to get my load of pictures for my records and my new display I'm building..  

That's just what I'm doing though, having this done for ME. Everything from the position of the seats to the relocation of the shifter is geared to my exact preference.. This car isn't going anywhere when it's done and I want it done right the first time. :cheers: :cheers:

jb666

Quote from: skip68 on February 05, 2009, 12:18:41 PM
:yesnod:  What he said.  I took several pictures with me to give the graphic guys so they could get it close as possible.  They taped the pictures to my car and went from there. 

Fortunately, they already have my graphics off the car.. I want to use the size/position of my current layout (minus the peeling, cracking and overspray).  :yesnod:

skip68

jb666

Quote from: skip68 on February 05, 2009, 12:43:24 PM
This may sound funny but, hows your horn ?

It wasn't working right until Jon rewired the entire car, now it's great!! Why do you ask?

skip68

jb666

Quote from: skip68 on February 05, 2009, 12:50:50 PM
Just wondering.  If it seems slow you can oil it.  This seems to be a problem with them.   :2thumbs:

Mine's brand new, I bought it and had Jon install because he was already going through everything, but I saw the slot in the bottom of the motor where you can oil and keep it going good.

jb666

And again, the hits just keep on coming..

There's very little "original" (BK) metal left on this car (roof/doors/sills/rockers/upper quarters/trunk lid).  Well, the body shop just called with some bad news...

First, they said the paint was prepped so poorly they were able to razor blade EVERY BIT of the Orange paint right off the car. Second, while grinding the primer off the car they discovered that BK simply skim coated Bondo over the ENTIRE CAR to cover rust pits.  Well, as you know, if you leave rust pits in metal they will eventually surface. Primer doesn't kill/stop rust. So now the entire car (what's left of BK's work) needs to be blasted. It'll be brought to a shop tomorrow (with any luck) and will be taken care of, and then will go back to the body shop to begin again...

Stanleyart

Quote from: jb666 on February 05, 2009, 03:37:26 PM

There's very little "original" (BK) metal left on this car (roof/doors/sills/rockers/upper quarters/trunk lid).  Well, the body shop just called with some bad news...

First, they said the paint was prepped so poorly they were able to razor blade EVERY BIT of the Orange paint right off the car. Second, while grinding the primer off the car they discovered that BK simply skim coated Bondo over the ENTIRE CAR to cover rust pits.  Well, as you know, if you leave rust pits in metal they will eventually surface. Primer doesn't kill/stop rust. So now the entire car (what's left of BK's work) needs to be blasted. It'll be brought to a shop tomorrow (with any luck) and will be taken care of, and then will go back to the body shop to begin again...

Wha' di? Ahhhh... :rotz:

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

jb666

Yeah, I know. When he first called he said "I was hoping to be the guy that could call you with GOOD news once in a while, but I'm sorry, I can't".

I half expected this stuff to happen.. All goes to show what kind of prep work these hack shops really do.  He said by the looks of the metal, the car sat outside for years with no paint, and instead of blasting the car (which he agrees there is NO WAY this car ever saw any type of blasting) they just ground the rust down and coated it with Bondo..

tan top

Quote from: jb666 on February 05, 2009, 03:37:26 PM

damn ...sorry to hear this  :yesnod: , but not really supprised as they have not done anything else properly on the car .so why should the other panels be any different :flame: ..... more time & money though but ..at least you know whats under the rest of the paint now , at least you know now nothing is going to come bubbling though the paint at a later date :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

jb666

Come on man,don't feel bad. It's all good!! The cars in great hands (again) and will be done right. :cheers:

captnsim

Well Jeff this is how I see it...
BK's car started out one big SNAFU. Situation normal all f'd up.
Then went to TARFU. Things are really f'd up.
To a full blown FUBAR. F'd up beyond all reconition.
At this point the natural reaction is to BOHICA. Bend over-here it comes again.
But we all know that the TIQ/BIQ is in for a surprise. We know your not OBE Jeff
and are going to KATN

Figured I'd let you guy's mull the last ones over...  

WingCharger

Man... :rotz: :rotz:
I'm surprised Bk hasn't had a "electrical fire" based on how they build customer cars.
Best of luck to you. I hope it comes out as a total thorn for BK. :yesnod:

joflaig

That's terrible, but I'm sure nobody here is really shocked. At least the entire body will end up being in truly restored condition. THIS WILL COST A FORTUNE NOW!

So what's the new "go live/launch" date? Still April or no commitments by your contractors on that score?

jb666

Still April. The shop doing the blasting is local and can take it quick. It'll be a fun job since this is a rolling driving car but oh well.