News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

WHAT IS THIS ON BOBBY ISSAC # 71 CAR ???

Started by daytonalo, November 19, 2008, 12:37:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daytonalo

IS THIS TO ADJUST RIDE HEIGHT ?

Larry

nascarxx29

I recall something like they kind of cheated when it came to ride height..They would only check the cars at beginning of a race,But not at the end.So they had jammed plastic spacers under the torsion bar bolt.That would easily colapse under the weight of the car .And lower the car to their desired ride height And achieved a undetected legal cheat.By the car being that much lower
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

daytonalo

Is there anything you don't know ??? Whats new dave ? Stop over sometime

Larry

hemigeno

I don't know exactly how the particular device worked in Larry's picture, but Charlie Glotzbach talked about having a ratchet in the car with him so that he could adjust the torsion bar during the race.  It would have affected ride height to a certain extent, but the bigger purpose would have been to affect the handling of the car in the corners.  The "temporary" spacers that Dave mentioned would have been the chosen weapon to cheat past the pre-race ride height requirement.

Whether a driver-adjustable torsion bar was allowed or not under the NA$CAR rules, I don't know - but there were apparently more teams than just the K&K group who had that same general idea.

daytonalo

I'm referring to that large bolt in front of drivers seat , by the way I can't believe they went 200 mph in a seat like that !! That was when driving stock cars you had to be a Man , unlike the wimps driving today !

Larry

Aero426

As mentioned, it's a driver adjustable torsion bar adjuster.   It's not necessarily used to cheat.   It would adjust the wedge or "cross weight" in the car, left front to right rear.