News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Superbird Crankshaft Pulley

Started by Arnie Cunningham, January 14, 2014, 04:50:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arnie Cunningham

Hey All,
I have a few questions about the crankshaft pulley on Superbirds.  We all know that all Superbirds came with Power Steering and no AC.  So, in theory, all the 440-4 and 440-6 cars should have the same two groove pulley on the crankshaft.  And, 1970 was one of the last years for the offset/non-symmetrical bolt pattern.
So, here is the issue.  I have thrown a few belts since I put my car back on the road in 06 and I want to make sure the pulleys are not the issue.
I took photos of the crank pulley from Al Wald's low mileage, relatively untouched Superbird engine.  His looks like two separate pulleys smashed together.  There is a large distinct separation between the two grooves.  Please see the first set of photos.
His pulley measures: 7 and 5/16 inches at the widest, 3 and 3/16 inches deep.
Is this what you guys with the untouched cars have?
Brennan R. Cook RM23U0A169492 EV2 Manual Black Buckets Armrest 14" Rallyes
Arnie Cunningham was the Plymouth obsessed youth in the novel/movie Christine.
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.

Arnie Cunningham

The pulley I have been using is similar but not the same.  I has a flat surface area between the grooves with a seam.  It measures 7 inches across and is 3 and 5/16 inches deep.  Please see the second set of photos.  I am wondering if these differences explain why I had some trouble lining up the belts.

Also:  Does anyone have width and depth measurements for the water pump pulley?  Has anyone else run into the spacers behind the water pump pulley?  I found some on my 70 New Yorker.
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.

Arnie Cunningham

Still looking for a photo of a known correct crank pulley.  The varieties now number 5 that I have come across (when you count the newer symmetric bolt pattern ones that I know are not correct).  Anyone have a photo of theirs or a link to a known correct car?

arrow

The one piece pulleys correct , I checked both my Birds - they both have it , I know the U code car is all factory original, The two piece pulley you pictured , I think isan earlier year pulley

Arnie Cunningham

RealWing

My original V code engine has the one piece. I've attached a couple of photos. There was a "S" stamped on the back of the pulley.
Jim
1970 Superbird 440-6bbl
1969 Barracuda 340 Formula S
1969 Barracuda convertible  6.1 L Hemi
2015 BMW K1600 GTL

Arnie Cunningham

Ah! More confirmation.  Thank you for posting.  I have two of the symmetric bolt pattern ones.  I will have to dig for a non-symmetric.  I think there is one around here somewhere.
:2thumbs:

62 Max

You can add another,mine is also one piece.

Arnie Cunningham

Excellent!  Thanks all.  Maybe now the pulleys will line up enough to stop throwing belts.  The one is only an 1/8 inch off but I guess that must be enough when the rpms get up there.