News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

tossing out the ac evaporator

Started by Hemidog, December 01, 2008, 04:53:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemidog

The further I get to reassembly of the heater box, the more I think about leaving the ac evaporator out of it.

-I'm not thinking about installing AC in the car anytime soon.
-I do not have any AC parts for the car in the engine bay.
-If I do install AC in the charger, I would need another evaporator right? for r134a?
-It's heavy, rusty, and it might be leaking.
-It doesn't get that hot up here in the summers. (I was in California may/juli this year, now THAT was HOT!)

What do y'all think?

Charger-Bodie

That is the evaporater core thats in the heater box. The Condensor mounts in front of the radiator.  :Twocents:

As far as leaving it out goes its really up to you, But Id be REALLY sure you dont want it cause you pretty much need to take the dash out to deal with it again.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Chatt69chgr

I think the same evaporator fits the 68 and 69.  Maybe the 70.  If you decide to get one, would you post where you found it and the part number.  Thanks.

BROCK

Really no sense in installing a bad evaporator core. 

=============================================
Let your music be in transit to the world

Hemidog

Quote from: 1hot68 on December 01, 2008, 12:38:45 PM
That is the evaporater core thats in the heater box. The Condensor mounts in front of the radiator.  :Twocents:

As far as leaving it out goes its really up to you, But Id be REALLY sure you dont want it cause you pretty much need to take the dash out to deal with it again.
But if I do decide to install it, and it is good, is it usable for the new r134a or the other gases?

Hemidog

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on December 01, 2008, 01:24:53 PM
I think the same evaporator fits the 68 and 69.  Maybe the 70.  If you decide to get one, would you post where you found it and the part number.  Thanks.
I can't find new ones anywhere.
BTW, what happened to this Chatt69chgr ? : http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,29380.0.html
Did you test your old one?
I pressure tested the heater core today, and it leaked in 4 places... I'm buying a new one from classic air.

gasoline_24

gasoline_24

I had mine tested at the radiator shop.  Mine had no leaks so I put it back in.  If it had leaks they could have fixed them.

Chatt69chgr

I never checked back as to whether the evaporator core was repoped or not.  Got off chasing other parts and forgot about it. 

Ghoste

Did you get the evaporator checked for leaks when you checked the heater core?

gasoline_24

That is what I did with mine.  I do not think they repop the evaporator.

Hemidog

No repop for the evaporator.

Well, I pressure tested it, and it did not leak, so i media blasted the tray, painted it, and installed it into the box again.

Now I just have to wait for the heater core...

Chatt69chgr

I seem to remember that the guy at Old Aire Systems told me that they could have any evaporator made.  Just send them my old one they they had some place they sent it off to that copied it.  I'll probably just have mine pressure tested and if it checks OK, pray that it never fails.  I also seem to remember something about $250.  So having one made was not cheap.

400/6/PAC

I had one made by Air-Pro in Mesquite TX for my 73, ( evaporator, not condenser ) It fit and worked perfect.
I had to take them My old one and wait about two weeks but it was worth it.
Cost around $225.00