News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Charger Dash Pad Resto

Started by Moparbob, January 30, 2009, 08:58:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moparbob

Hey fellers,

I need a new dash pad for my 73 Rallye but there is a problem,  I don't want to spend $600 on one!!  :brickwall:

I found an interesting article on how to restore your own and I'm gonna try it. Hell it cant be as bad as the one I have or a cap (I hate those)

So whats the easiest way to remove the dash pad on a b body charger? :hack:

Oh and heres the link to the dash resto: http://gtam.silvahalo.com/dashrepair/index.html
Bob Norris
www.moparbob.com

God Bless America.

Moparbob

Nobody wanna dive into this one?  :nana:
Bob Norris
www.moparbob.com

God Bless America.

Charger1973

You'll want to remove the entire dash assembly, then take the pad off the frame. 

Moparbob

Quote from: Charger1973 on January 31, 2009, 04:39:17 PM
You'll want to remove the entire dash assembly, then take the pad off the frame. 

Seems like more work. Whats the reason for that?
Bob Norris
www.moparbob.com

God Bless America.

Charger1973

Its actually not too bad once you have done it a few times...  I always take the dash out when im working on something back there, because I like to see what im doing, and I hate laying upside down...  but in this case im not even sure if you could get to all the nuts holding it in place without taking the dash out.  There are quite a few of them. 

defiance

I've done it both ways, and I agree STRONGLY: there are 6-8 nuts holding the pad to the dash that must come out either way - but getting to the two outside ones with the framework in place is nearly impossible when getting it off, and I believe it is completely impossible to get those two back on (I tried for hours and never managed it). 

On the other hand, there are 6 bolts holding the framework in place (4 across the top and one on each side at the bottom), and they're all very easy to get to.  The only difficult part is you have to drop the column and remove the instrument cluster.  Whole removal process is around 1-1.5 hrs, same to put it back in.  But once it's out, getting to all the pad screws is a BREEZE.

IMO, if you try to take the pad off with the frame in the car, there's a good chance you'll damage the two outer retainers, and if you try to put it on with the frame in the car it's almost impossible to get it really snug, and it will squeak and rattle continuously.