News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Tire kickers and dreamers.....Stay away!!!!!!!!!!!

Started by *, November 01, 2005, 09:51:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blown70

Quote from: bull on November 02, 2005, 04:22:16 PM
I thought you said the 493 and Dana were extra but you could get the stock engine and axle with the car for $20k? Regardless I can tell you exactly what your problem is.

First off the price is too low. You're not attracting the right people. You're attracting people who might be able to come up with $17k in a month if they begged for cash from all their relatives. The car should be listed for around $35k and you should expect lesser offers because that's the way 90% of people buy cars.

Second, you should decide if you're selling a race car or a #s matching street beast. Either pull the roll cage, engine and Dana and put it all back together as stock and sell it that way or don't even mention the fact that you'll do all this converting depending on what they buyer wants, that's their problem. If you want the engine keep the engine and put the 440 back in. I wouldn't want someone I don't know in a hurry stuffing an engine into a car for me at the last minute. Whether you would be sloppy or not people assume and people are paranoid. Would you want someone selling you a car knowing they are going to drop a 440 in real quick before you change your mind?

Third, follow Chris' advice and put the thing on Ebay. Whether it sells or not it shows people on the websites that you mean business. Jack your reserve through the roof and then negotiate the final sale with the two highest bidders. People will fart around forever with for sale ads if you let them but once the car goes on Ebay they know it's too late to goof around.

Cheers to that.

Tom

472 R/T SE

ebay's the best advertising in the country.  Every once in a while you'll sell something. :icon_smile_wink:

R2

I agree with Bull,,,,I think the price is a bit low for the condition of the car....the only issue on going up on the price is the cage,,etc,,,and the "non stock" condition....which might detract from the price...
I think the other thing is the time of year its up for sale,,,,,there are a lot of cars up for sale right now, its fall, and its a buyers market,,,,like on the moparts board,,eg...there are some serious cars up for sale,,,much like yours...
The car looks to be super straight,,,and has all the good stuff on it,,,,,but a price in the 20K plus range attracts a different crowd,,,,and might be tougher to move real fast as far as selling...
Either way,,,20K for that car and all the parts is a very fair price,,,,I hope it sells for you....
Any luck on the Chally' in KY ???
Doug

greenpigs

Quote from: R2 on November 02, 2005, 08:21:29 PM
I agree with Bull,,,,I think the price is a bit low for the condition of the car....the only issue on going up on the price is the cage,,etc,,,and the "non stock" condition....which might detract from the price...
I think the other thing is the time of year its up for sale,,,,,there are a lot of cars up for sale right now, its fall, and its a buyers market,,,,like on the moparts board,,eg...there are some serious cars up for sale,,,much like yours...
The car looks to be super straight,,,and has all the good stuff on it,,,,,but a price in the 20K plus range attracts a different crowd,,,,and might be tougher to move real fast as far as selling...
Either way,,,20K for that car and all the parts is a very fair price,,,,I hope it sells for you....
Any luck on the Chally' in KY ???
Doug

Yep, which is it? Since Charger drag cars are rare, that would tell me to put it back to "stock" then sell with all the race equipment as a bonus. Better still keep the drag specific items for a 318 car like Troy said and toss the parts in that and still get 20K for your Charger.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

ChargerBill

Quote from: Afturhrz on November 02, 2005, 10:32:02 AM
Maybe after 3 years of trying to sell it might indicate you are asking more than its worth? Im not trying to be a jerk but thats the first thing that comes to my mind. Alot of times its best to take a look at something and think a while on it especially when a lot of money is at stake.

Sorry, I have to completely disagree here. A #'s matching '68 R/T in great shape with an extra 493...$20K probably isn't enough. If I had the $$ I'd seriously take it into consideration. The engine alone would cost a minimum of $6K to $7K to build, and the car is arrow straight, and the interior is really nice. Jim even had the roll cage installed so that nothing was cut and it could be easily removed so the car could be brought back to stock. If you didn't want a racer you could turn around and sell the 493 for $5K without a problem, and with a timeslip pedigree to back it up. If you have ever seen the car in person you wouldn't have even thought this.... IMO The car is a steal.

Like Bull already stated, the car is probably priced too low. I'd stick reserve at $25K on ebay and see how high it goes. As far as converting it back to stock, that's iffy in your situation. if you did so you might get stuck with the car and have to reconvert it back to a race car...double the work. Maybe leave it arbitrary..."the car is in the process of being converted to stock while the auction is active." that way you could wait to see the auction results before you start wrenching.
Life is a highway...

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Old Moparz on November 02, 2005, 10:52:32 AM
You can't sell it because it's green.     :D

I was gonna say that, but he didn't seem in a very good mood. :icon_smile_big:

I'm liking Bull's (& Chris') idea too...it sounds like a good way to weed out the crap & end up with someone wanting to part with their money. :thumbs:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

89MOPAR

Put it in the Autotrader,  $50 and you can run the ad forever....
77 Ram-Charger SE factory 440 'Macho' package
03 Ram Hemi 4x4 Pickup
Noble M400
72 Satellite Sebring Plus +

bull

Quote from: ChargerBill on November 03, 2005, 06:37:56 PM
Quote from: Afturhrz on November 02, 2005, 10:32:02 AM
Maybe after 3 years of trying to sell it might indicate you are asking more than its worth? Im not trying to be a jerk but thats the first thing that comes to my mind. Alot of times its best to take a look at something and think a while on it especially when a lot of money is at stake.

Sorry, I have to completely disagree here. A #'s matching '68 R/T in great shape with an extra 493...$20K probably isn't enough. If I had the $$ I'd seriously take it into consideration. The engine alone would cost a minimum of $6K to $7K to build, and the car is arrow straight, and the interior is really nice. Jim even had the roll cage installed so that nothing was cut and it could be easily removed so the car could be brought back to stock. If you didn't want a racer you could turn around and sell the 493 for $5K without a problem, and with a timeslip pedigree to back it up. If you have ever seen the car in person you wouldn't have even thought this.... IMO The car is a steal.

Like Bull already stated, the car is probably priced too low. I'd stick reserve at $25K on ebay and see how high it goes. As far as converting it back to stock, that's iffy in your situation. if you did so you might get stuck with the car and have to reconvert it back to a race car...double the work. Maybe leave it arbitrary..."the car is in the process of being converted to stock while the auction is active." that way you could wait to see the auction results before you start wrenching.

I think he should definitely decide how he's going to market it before listing it on Ebay. Either a race car or a stock R/T bored .060 over, but not both. There is more of a market for original Chargers than drag racers and he's going to need a drivetrain for his next car anyway.

RT/SE

I would return the car back to stock and sell it that way. Many people are scared off by race cars.  You can sell you 493 motor and other race parts seperately.  I think if you do it that way I believe you will come out with more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ in the end.  I think deals that get too complicated have a tendency to fall apart.  I hope things work out for you.

Silver R/T

ya i know how it feels, had people tell me theyre on the way to check out car but never showed up. I hate them wasting my time
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Runner

Quote from: AllBlueRT on November 04, 2005, 05:03:32 PM
The block was .60 over?, I thought I read somewhere it was(only) .40.      Did it run hot?   That was the #'s matching block right?     
Tough call, personally I would be shy of it after being raced.   I know, I know, the sub's were tied and everything else.   But still, that's just me.   Of course you weren't runnin' the series once a week either.   Who knows.

If you by chance sell off some of your goodies, I'd love to have that Caltracs. :icon_smile_approve:

Good Luck Jim.

i think you hit it on the head!     if it was me id spend the winter putting it back to all original and the list it on e-bay with out any mention of it ever being raced.     i think any time you sell something like that you get tire kickers.

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

6pkrunner

That is exactly the pain of trying to see a race car. Even though they are usually treated better and vastly better maintained than their street counterparts. All stressed and wear parts are generally replaced well before failure and a tied car won't turn into a pretzel. Its just an unearned stigma that gets attached to them. Good luck on the sale.