News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1969 Charger - Dash Wiring Harness

Started by Shakey, November 02, 2005, 09:24:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

8WHEELER

Quote from: 69RTSE on November 24, 2005, 10:33:57 AM
Does the Reproduction Dash Harness include the firewall bulkhead connector.   If so, what is its quality.   BTW, the firewall connector is one of the main problems with Mopar Dash Harnesses.   The connectors corrode and the continuity becomes very poor and things stop working...not to mention the fire hazard.

Yes it does, we put one in about 3wks ago and it is sweet gasket and all connections, everything went smooth.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

HeavyFuel

How the heck to you know if you need a new harness?  I took my dash out with 95% of the wiring still hooked up.  it all looks to be in good shape.  Is there any reason that I should suspect that it will fail me after the body is painted and I slap the whole assembly back it?

Shakey

Quote from: HeavyFuel on November 26, 2005, 01:02:37 AM
How the heck to you know if you need a new harness?   I took my dash out with 95% of the wiring still hooked up.   it all looks to be in good shape.   Is there any reason that I should suspect that it will fail me after the body is painted and I slap the whole assembly back it?

I was not too keen on paying $557.00 USD (after the 20% discount it was $445.00 USD) for something I might not need however after seeing post after post about electrical gremlins, repeatedly blown fuses, smoke from under the dash I thought that I would much rather play it safe, spend the money and install a new harness while the car is apart.  When all is said and done, the car will have all brand new wiring.  Yes, there still could be some electrical problems as time goes on but I feel with all new wiring and connectors, these will be minimal.

With my wiring, since I have not owned the car since it came from the factory, there is no telling what has taken place under there.  If I did own the car since new, I would still replace it as it is just plain old!

Ghoste

Same with me.  I often feel bad because my interior looks so shabby (this was the last season for that, it comes out very shortly), but I have new wiring bumper to bumper and I don't ride around with one hand on the fire extinguisher.  The peace of mind when in motion is worth it.

69RTSE

Another question!  Does the repro dash harness include the fuse box for a 69 Charger.  Thanks.

8WHEELER

Yes it does, all you need to do is put in fuses, light bulbs, flasher units, and install the harness.

I had a great look at my original harness over a year ago when the dash was out. Everything
looked great, just over a year later I fried a wire from the ign switch to the fire wall, filled
the car with smoke and scared the hell out of me. Spent $425.00 on a new harnes.

Dan

Shakey

Quote from: 69RTSE on December 11, 2005, 10:30:49 PM
Another question!   Does the repro dash harness include the fuse box for a 69 Charger.   Thanks.

Yes it does.

I just purchased mine a week or so ago and it is all complete.

471_Magnum

Quote from: 69RTSE on December 11, 2005, 10:30:49 PM
Another question! Does the repro dash harness include the fuse box for a 69 Charger. Thanks.

yes
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

8WHEELER

jaak

I pulled the dash harness I intend on using from a non-running parts car, it look clean and unmolested. I took and stretched it out on the floor, took out my diagrams and used a continuity (battery powered) test light to check it. First off I would look at my diagram, at bulk connector terminal 'A', follow it along the diagram to see where it went to. After that I would touch the probe of the test light at terminal A at Bulkhead and the alligator-clip at the connector/terminal at the other end of the strand. Then I went on to terminal B, then C and so on. I know this sounds tedious, but I did it one evening after work, the Dash harness is not as complicated as most think. Last I did a visual check, making sure connecters were still attached firmly, check for crack wires, missing/ damaged connectors, make sure wire was still pliable, etc. The only thing I found wrong was the 2 round terminal ends for the volt gauge was missing wires were there but terminals missing witch I spiced on from a hacked up harness I had lying around.