News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

To HCTUB from poker

Started by 440 Fanatic, January 09, 2009, 02:00:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hctub

This is Lou Whitfields 69 Charger RT.  Lou and Joe Slama were supposed to drive Joe's Daytona to the meet from CA but it was having overheating problems so they went back to Joes house and jumped into Lou's RT to make the trip.  I don't know how many of you know Lou but he was a fanatic about his cars.  He hadn't planned to make the trip from coast to coast in the Charger but he kept everything in such good condition it wasn't a problem to take it without notice.

I traded the yellow SE Daytona for this car.  I traded the Charger off once and ended up with it back then sold it years later with over 200,000 miles on the car.

I know its not an Aero car but it was at the meet.

talkiemopar

O.K.  here goes one of Ricks 'few' stories:
1980 on our way to the meet in Baltimore, we made a pit stop at a rest area in Maryland. We heard a horn and saw someone in a 69 RT Charger wildly waving their arms as they went by the rest area.  They then stopped and backed up the exit ramp. It just so happened a state cop had just left the rest area minutes earlier, I call that luck. :icon_smile_wink:

Yep - Lou Whitfield and Joe Slama. :cheers:  They had said they had left California two days earlier.  O.k. I asked "where's the radar unit since you're burning up the road?"  So, Lou reaches down on the floor and picks up a pair of binoculars stating that,

"I look - Joe drives." :brickwall: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:

We cruised with them for a while at 90 to 100 until I (the secretary who was driving) decided - not a good idea with three kids in the car and we were left in the dust.  Surprised we all got there alive.

I hate taking dictation :icon_smile_dissapprove: :icon_smile_dissapprove: :icon_smile_dissapprove:
Madam secretary

moparstuart

Quote from: talkiemopar on March 01, 2009, 11:39:02 PM
O.K.  here goes one of Ricks 'few' stories:
1980 on our way to the meet in Baltimore, we made a pit stop at a rest area in Maryland. We heard a horn and saw someone in a 69 RT Charger wildly waving their arms as they went by the rest area.  They then stopped and backed up the exit ramp. It just so happened a state cop had just left the rest area minutes earlier, I call that luck. :icon_smile_wink:

Yep - Lou Whitfield and Joe Slama. :cheers:  They had said they had left California two days earlier.  O.k. I asked "where's the radar unit since you're burning up the road?"  So, Lou reaches down on the floor and picks up a pair of binoculars stating that,

"I look - Joe drives." :brickwall: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:

We cruised with them for a while at 90 to 100 until I (the secretary who was driving) decided - not a good idea with three kids in the car and we were left in the dust.  Surprised we all got there alive.

I hate taking dictation :icon_smile_dissapprove: :icon_smile_dissapprove: :icon_smile_dissapprove:
Madam secretary
" few stories  " now thats funny  :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Aero426

Just spoke to Lou this past Saturday.  He and his wife were off to chase a Cyclone Spoiler on Sunday.  Haven't heard if he made the deal.

hctub

few more

hctub

I think the wheels are called Spyders by the way on the black car.  I think this is the car that when Lou saw the wheels on it he fell in love with them.  He came back to CA and just had to have some.  He ended up with a set on his Talladega. 

hctub

maxwellwedge

Quote from: hctub on March 03, 2009, 08:14:03 PM
I think the wheels are called Spyders by the way on the black car.  I think this is the car that when Lou saw the wheels on it he fell in love with them.  He came back to CA and just had to have some.  He ended up with a set on his Talladega. 

Yep - Motor Wheel (one of the OEM's for Chrysler steel wheels) Spyder's   I know a little about them  ;) - look same tires too!

pettybird

that bird with the Regan stickers makes me laugh...my air traffic controller father voted for him.  that worked out well.   :lol:

maxwellwedge

Quote from: pettybird on March 04, 2009, 12:00:42 AM
that bird with the Regan stickers makes me laugh...my air traffic controller father voted for him.  that worked out well.   :lol:

Oh - The Irony!   ;D

moparstuart

Quote from: maxwellwedge on March 03, 2009, 08:19:26 PM
Quote from: hctub on March 03, 2009, 08:14:03 PM

Yep - Motor Wheel (one of the OEM's for Chrysler steel wheels) Spyder's   I know a little about them  ;) - look same tires too!
where can i find a set of those wheels ? I like them alot

nascarxx29

Usually when I find them there GM not Ford and Mopar.But 41/2 Ford to Mopar will work
http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/pts/1054382448.html
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/1058968784.html
http://eugene.craigslist.org/pts/1034721328.html
http://www.elkcreeksalvage.com/OddsEnds.html
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=149429
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?s=449cb8eeccbee5f52fc479a28eaddc9a&t=32102
Rare Spyder Motor Wheels
July 13, 2008
Rare 14x6 Spyder Motor aftermarket wheels. I believe they were only made for two years, I think 1969 and 1970. set of 4. $500 plus shipping
Thank You
Olivier twisted.motorsports@yahoo.com
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

maxwellwedge

The tricky part is getting the lug nuts. They are chrome with a red disk in the centre. I need one dreaded left hand thread.

Charger_Fan

I remember seeing those wheels a lot back in the day. I always thought they looked like they were missing some center caps. :lol:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

WingCharger

Hey, I just found this!!
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,27044.0.html

That looks like the paint job on the slot mag Daytona from back in the thread! HCTUB, where you at?

watt340

I wonder if the black Superbird above is the same as this one which is in Indiana and was orange originally? Just changed the lettering from red to white.

Aero426

Quote from: watt340 on April 28, 2009, 09:46:07 PM
I wonder if the black Superbird above is the same as this one which is in Indiana and was orange originally? Just changed the lettering from red to white.

No, it is not the same car.   The Indiana car was owned by Fred McNally who was a dealer in the Michigan U.P.   When he painted it black, it always had the white decals.   

nascarxx29

hctub

Wow its been crazy at work and didn't realize it had been so long since being on here!!!

Does anyone have a picture of the Hemi Daytona that the LA and Orange county Dodge dealers had Keith Black build the engine so they could try and set some speed records?  I know the car used to be in Fresno, CA but don't know if it is still there or not.  I am not trying to buy it (couldn't afford it anyway), just trying to find out where it ended up.  Thanks is advance for any help.  Glenn

nascarxx29

Also known as the Keith Black daytona .It was owned by Holly Hedrich Gilbert Tarr .And last was heard from this orig Y2 Hemi 4 speed daytona J9B402974 .Mike and Cathy Downing owned it.Mr girlfriend Anne found these pictures on this site.Anne asked me if I recognized the car .It had the similar paint scheme has no graphics as compared to same car on the bottom

hctub

Thank you for the pic's and the information.  I knew Mike and Cathy owned it years ago but didn't know if they still owned it.  I knew them years ago but have lost touch with them. 

My wife works for the Clovis CA Chamber of Commerce and they have a car show every May.  Next year is the "Mopar Shootout" and they are looking for a car to feature on their artwork (posters, flyers etc) and I thought the Daytona would be a great one especially since it is local.  They had a "Camaro shootout" this year and it was a total flop, not the car show just the Camaro's.  Only about 20 showed up!  I am going to be a little more pro-active this time around and try to help the Mopar turnout.

By the way, if they decide to try and use the Daytona Mike and Cathy would be contacted for their ok BEFORE their car was used.

Any ideas out there on how to get some wing cars to show up for a show like this?   

hctub

Does anyone have contact info for Mike and Cathy Downing/Dowling in Fresno?  If you would rather not give out their info then please give them mine   hctub@hotmail.com   I appreciate any help.  Glenn

nascarxx29

I believe this guy on another board has mentioned and seen the daytona also from Fresno Ca knows the Downings.Shoot him a email

Email  jimlusk@pacbell.net     
Member #  9084   
Name  Jim Lusk   
Title  moparts member   
Total Posts  9131   
   Homepage     
Occupation  Electronics Technician   
Hobbies  Uh, Mopars   
Location  Fresno, CA   
Bio  25-plus years with Mopars. Big block A-

hctub

Is there any way to find out the members that live in the Central Valley of CA or just CA in general.  Any leads would be appreciated, Glenn

moparstuart

took a picutre of waynes old photo album from the 80's  three hemi daytonas