News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

To HCTUB from poker

Started by 440 Fanatic, January 09, 2009, 02:00:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nascarxx29

Lets see Green daytona Jim Radke or Mike Mc Guires car Orange car Terry Roleoffs .Black daytona Jerry Service.How did I score :icon_smile_big:
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

moparstuart

Quote from: nascarxx29 on June 28, 2009, 08:03:54 PM
Lets see Green daytona Jim Radke or Mike Mc Guires car Orange car Terry Roleoffs .Black daytona Jerry Service.How did I score :icon_smile_big:
I dont know for sure , but I think the green one may be the 99 car of waynes . I know wayne got it in y2 yellow , then he painted it john deer green.  Then he started to paint it F6 with  white wing . Which was his intent to be final,  before it became the race car purple 99 . So that could be waynes daytona  ???

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

tan top

Quote from: moparstuart on June 28, 2009, 07:54:03 PM
took a picutre of waynes old photo album from the 80's  three hemi daytonas

:drool5: ........... :popcrn:   :coolgleamA:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

hctub

Okay, I need one of you Wing Car experts to settle an argument for me.  I have a friend who insists you could get a Daytona in Lime Green and I disagree.  He has agreed to believe the responses on here so please respond away.

Glenn

nascarxx29

Never seen one would have to see fender tag and buildsheet to believe it.There has been cars seen painted in that color though but not original.Elmer D pictured in link bellow looks lime green

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,26508.0.html

hctub

Thanks

Isn't that color called "sassy grass" or something like that?  Joe Slama's Daytona was that color.  I think I have a picture of it sitting at the old Riverside Raceway, I will have to check later.

I still remember standing there drooling over Radke's Blue and Red Hemi Daytona.  They were way out of my price range then, I think they were 10,000 - 15,000 for one then!!!  They are even further out of my price range now!!!  The one that Mike and Kathy own in Fresno sat on the Grapevine for sale for years, they wanted $10,000 if I remember correctly. 

Glenn

hemigeno

Quote from: hctub on July 11, 2009, 09:54:29 AM
Okay, I need one of you Wing Car experts to settle an argument for me.  I have a friend who insists you could get a Daytona in Lime Green and I disagree.  He has agreed to believe the responses on here so please respond away.

Glenn

From the standpoint of "get a Daytona in Lime Green" from the factory, that wasn't very likely at all.  Lime Green (FJ5/"SubLime" for Dodge in 1970, FJ6/"Green Go" for Dodge in 1970-71) was not introduced yet when the Daytonas were made.  If someone had enough pull I suppose it was at least hypothetically possible that a Special-Order color car was built, although those were typically sprayed out with custom colors available through someone else's large/fleet order.  There are at least two 99 99 paint code Daytonas that I know about, both having been ordered by the same dealership, and both are listed as having "special paint" on the WW/NBOA's Dealer Invoice list.  Neither of those cars were lime green, and the color used was available elsewhere as a fleet color.

With that being said, if a customer came into a dealership in 1970-1 and wanted to purchase a Daytona (which by then could have been sitting on a dealer's lot for many months) as long as it was repainted in FJ5 or FJ6, my guess is that many salesmen would have bent over backwards to accomodate that sort of thing.

In the end, even if a car was painted lime green by the dealership before ever being transferred into the original owner's name, I would still view the car as anything BUT a lime green car.  To me, a car should be "classified" by the paint color it wore when it left Hamtramck.  Elmer Duellmann's car is a close approximation of this -- it's an X9 car in my book, even though it may have spent a very small percentage of its time as a black exterior color car.  That doesn't mean I would rush right out and repaint a car which still wears a nice paintjob and has no rust issues to fix.  But hey, maybe I'm just weird about stuff like that...

Glenn, I think you're on very solid ground in the statement(s) you made - no Daytonas were available in Lime Green.

:Twocents:

nascarxx29

Quote from: nascarxx29 on July 11, 2009, 11:01:16 AM
Never seen one would have to see fender tag and buildsheet to believe it.There has been cars seen painted in that color though but not original.Elmer D pictured in link bellow looks lime green

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,26508.0.html   The Elmer Duelman car I refered to earlier is the only longterm lime green daytona .That came to mind

hctub

Thanks Hemigeno

I was fairly sure about no Lime Green Daytona's but my friend wanted an "outside, as close to expert" witness and I knew this forum was the best place to find the answer.  I appreciate the help and I will toast you and the forum when I drink the beer we bet.

Glenn

hemigeno

Quote from: hctub on July 14, 2009, 01:16:28 PM
I will toast you and the forum when I drink the beer we bet.

:lol:

:cheers:

C5X DAYTONA

Quote from: hctub on January 11, 2009, 06:07:09 PM
No I don't have the TA anymore.  I traded it decades ago for a Daytona with a Hemi in it, not an original Hemi car though.  I had a Charger 500 with a 440 in it that was an original Hemi car so I switched the engines.  The TA is one of those cars I really wish I had back.  The TA and Daytonas were my favorites of all the cars I have owned although the 69 Charger RT that Lou Whitfield would come in a very close second to anything.  It was a sweet car.

I totally remember Lou's 69 R/t.  Super nice car.  Didn't he trade that for that Daytona S.E.?
Caution.... Low flying aircraft.

hctub

Yes I traded a Y2 Yellow S.E. Daytona to Lou for the R/T.  I bought the Daytona from Colin Young in Washington but I had seen the car many years before in Las Vegas with a standard frontend on it.  I think there is a picture earlier of the car.  I am pretty sure its the same car that was in Hemmings several months ago.  How many Y2 S.E. Daytona's can there be especially with fiberglass noses?  It started at around $229,000 and came down a whole lot the last time I saw it.  At today's prices the trade seems lopsided but back then it wasn't.  The R/T was perfect and the Daytona barely ran, needed EVERYTHING  and I had 2 other Daytonas and a Hemi Charger 500.  They all needed work and the R/T didn't.  If you ever have a chance to buy a car Lou has worked on, do it, he doesn't skimp on anything for his cars and does wonderful work.

Glenn

C5X DAYTONA

Quote from: hctub on September 19, 2009, 06:55:44 AM
Yes I traded a Y2 Yellow S.E. Daytona to Lou for the R/T.  I bought the Daytona from Colin Young in Washington but I had seen the car many years before in Las Vegas with a standard frontend on it.  I think there is a picture earlier of the car.  I am pretty sure its the same car that was in Hemmings several months ago.  How many Y2 S.E. Daytona's can there be especially with fiberglass noses?  It started at around $229,000 and came down a whole lot the last time I saw it.  At today's prices the trade seems lopsided but back then it wasn't.  The R/T was perfect and the Daytona barely ran, needed EVERYTHING  and I had 2 other Daytonas and a Hemi Charger 500.  They all needed work and the R/T didn't.  If you ever have a chance to buy a car Lou has worked on, do it, he doesn't skimp on anything for his cars and does wonderful work.

Glenn

Thomas Van Clief was the guy in Las Vegas.   The S.E. has a steel nose back on it.  I had called him when the car was on ebay and asked him if it still had the glass nose on it and he said no.  I asked are you sure and then he checked.  He was not happy to find a glass nose.  The car came with the steel nose but was damaged.   Well he fixed it and it is back on the car.    The guy in the Phoenix area said it was going to Australia or something like that for $125.    Where did his Bird go?  I never have seen it again.  I went with Lou and Erin to talladega in 09 and 04 but I think they are leaving earlier this year.  I have to call him to see.  Are you going to Talladege next month?  Sean
Caution.... Low flying aircraft.

hctub

The bird had way more rust on it than I could fix or afford to fix back then.  I also bought the first Daytona and liked it better anyways.  I think the bird came from New Jersey.  I sold it to a young guy in Porterville, Ca and I heard he bondo'd up the rust holes, painted it and then sold it and I don't know to who or where.

I haven't had a wing car since about 12-13 years ago.  A series of events with the last one being a divorce took care of the cars!!!  I would love to have one again and not for the money part of it, I love wing cars period.  Needless to say, I can't afford one now or at least can't justify that kind of money.  I have a few classic cars and have to be happy with them.

I haven't seen Lou for quite a few years now although I did talk with him several months ago on the phone right after he picked up the Cyclone Spoiler.  I know by now he is going hot and heavy on the car and it will turn out like all the "Whitfield" cars, perfect.

Glenn

redrider

what i want to know is how many of these cars pictured are still around and how many still look the way the did

hctub

Haven't been on here for a long time, AGAIN!!!  Converting my old negatives over to JPEG's and ran across some more pics. 

Had a post earlier about seeing a Charger 500 in a back yard while driving down the freeway in Indianapolis in the late 70's or very early 80's.  We got off the freeway and wandered around residential streets until we found it which was kind of hard since we were in an 18 wheeler.  The copper 500 was in the backyard and while we were talking to the guy a red white and blue Daytona pulled up.  The guy also sent us to where a Talladega was parked close to his house.

I didn't have a pic of the 500 when I posted this story earlier.

Glenn

nascarxx29

Dave Kanofsky

Quote from: nascarxx29 on January 08, 2010, 04:17:56 PM
The star daytona

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,27044.0.html

Look at the Dodge sticker in the back window of the star Daytona, does this look like the "phantom" Dodge sticker from Troy's back window with the mist on it that he posted recently - is it the same piece of glass by chance?

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,65127.0.html
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

nascarxx29

Good observation maybe a scale placement measurement can be done on both rear windows. Star daytona might be from IN area .And Troys car sold new in IN I believe

hemigeno

Very well could be the same style of sticker, but the original back glass from the Star Daytona is still resting comfortably a few hundred miles to the west-northwest of Indy...

tan top

:o  good pictures Glenn  :yesnod:  thanks for sharing  :2thumbs: :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

hctub

I will post more as I find them.  The first Daytona I owned had a 500 emblem between the tail lights.  I remember at some meet I was at there was a discussion about the 500 and the placement.  Since there is so much more information now, was this stock/correct/etc?

Davtona

Quote from: Dave Kanofsky on January 08, 2010, 04:40:07 PM
Quote from: nascarxx29 on January 08, 2010, 04:17:56 PM
The star daytona

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,27044.0.html

Look at the Dodge sticker in the back window of the star Daytona, does this look like the "phantom" Dodge sticker from Troy's back window with the mist on it that he posted recently - is it the same piece of glass by chance?

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,65127.0.html

No its not the same piece of glass. I have never noticed the remnants of a sticker in the rear window either. Apparently it was removed at some point. Perhaps the "Phantom" of it will reappear some foggy night. Its got to get above zero for that to happen though I believe.  :lol:

I had not noticed this before in this most recent photo of the car to surface but the fender pods were not on the car at that time.

Love the pictures Glenn  :2thumbs:

hctub

Here is a pic of the "500" emblem on the back of my first Daytona (410760) at least I think that was the serial number.  I don't remember the other 2 having this emblem but that was decades ago!  Was this correct or maybe added down the road somewhere, it looked like factory holes inside the trunk at least.

Another shot of my rusty bird sitting next to the first Daytona.

Glenn 

hemigeno

Quote from: hctub on January 11, 2010, 11:20:48 AM
Was this correct or maybe added down the road somewhere, it looked like factory holes inside the trunk at least.

Technically, that wasn't correct for a Daytona, and I haven't seen another car with that treatment (haven't seen them all either though).  I also don't know if it was Creative Industries or Hamtramck that installed the "500" emblem below the taillights on Charger500's in the first place.  If it WAS Creative, it would make it harder to understand why they would have removed the Charger arrowhead & script normally found on a Daytona and replaced it with the 500 emblem.  MAYBE it was one of the R/T emblem mistake cars?  That's a longshot though and still wouldn't explain why it was changed out.

How close is the pin layout between a "500" emblem and a Charger arrowhead & script and/or an "R/T" emblem?  I'm not looking at any of those emblems at the moment, but I seem to remember there were three pins on the Charger script and 2 on the "500" & R/T with the R/T's 2-pin layout different than the 500.  You'd think there would have been some evidence of the original pin hole placement visible on the backside of the taillight panel - that's a hard area to get to with the trunk latch reinforcement (i.e. hard to refinish well enough to remove any evidence of a re-drill effort).

Great pictures though!