News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

IN or OUT?

Started by Blown70, November 03, 2005, 03:30:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathcharger71

Quote from: hemigeno on November 04, 2005, 05:12:01 PM
Here's a possible scenario as to why MaMopar had the coolant enter the block first...

If the coolant hits the cylinder head first, suddenly adding a lot of cold coolant to a hot engine would be more likely to crack a cylinder head.   As stated, the heads are the hottest part of an engine and landing the coolant there first without "tempering" it by running it through the block first would increase the chances of cracking a head IMHO.

That scenario may seem remote, especially for the mechanically inclined among us.   Someone less knowledgeable might try a roadside repair of duct tape around a busted radiator hose, and then filling the radiator back up with wellwater from someone's spigot.   If the water pump sent the coolant to the heads first, you could have a problem.   Worse yet, Chrysler might have had to fix it under warranty.

It's at least a possibility...

on my boat the water goes through the exhaust(called log exhaust) to warm up the water and then goes to the bottom of the engine then out the top for that very reason, warm up the water as to not crack the block or heads....but the water is always 75 degrees at best so maybe it wont be as much of a problem with a car?

:Twocents: