News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

real 1970 daytona for sale

Started by BigBlockSam, January 22, 2009, 05:13:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigBlockSam

QuoteHi I am the owner of the Q5 1970 Dodge Daytona clone.

:wave: howdy. i dig your car.  :cheers:

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

BigBlockSam

Quoteothers around here convinced me to go the whole Daytona route.

who  :shruggy:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

tan top

Quote from: dodgedaytona70 on January 25, 2009, 05:26:13 PM
Hi I am the owner of the Q5 1970 Dodge Daytona clone. My nane is Don

hello Don & welcome , nice clone  :drool5: :cheers:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

hemigeno

Quote from: maxwellwedge on January 25, 2009, 02:34:54 PM
One of my Daytona's has the second hole, the other does not. The car with the extra hole also has the two (smaller) holes rad support whereas the car with out the extra (battery area) hole has the one large hole in the rad support. The wiring harness clip in the car with the extra (battery area) hole does not even come close to clipping in either hole  :icon_smile_big:

There were at least 3 different harnesses used on 'Tona's to further add to the mayhem!

Jim,

I'm sure the car with the one large hole is the DocTona - and it matches EXACTLY what Danny and I found on 287970.  Was there a black grommet for that hole?  Looking at the Reeker car is what led me to the conclusion that the second hole behind the battery was to create some slack to get that wire harness up and over the yoke.

The "first" of those holes behind the battery was stamped on every '69 B-body inner fender at Hamtramck, and you can always feel the indentation.  The other hole was drilled by someone at Creative Industries, so there is little (if any) indentation in the sheet metal.  That first hole is always consistently located, but the second hole was apparently randomly located since that dimension is all over the place.  I'd be really surprised if the wire harness wouldn't work with at least the factory-stamped hole (the plastic "T" anchor taped into the wire harness, right?) since that's how it was shipped to Creative.

What three wire harness configurations are you referring to - the one in the nosecones?  If you've seen some variation in the nosecone wire harness, I'm not surprised at all.  Those were rebuilt using a regular Charger wire harness by "day laborers" literally hired off the street corner by Creative Industries.  Not exactly professionals in any sense of the word...

Hi I am the owner of the Q5 1970 Dodge Daytona clone. My nane is Don as said in some of the other post. I've  been looking at this site for a long time but was apprehensvie about joinig or showing the car. The wing is a real Daytona piece bought at the Mopar NATs in 1995. The nose is from showcars in Canada. I did not put in a plug for two reasons. I never wanted it to be passed off as real and supposedly the three 1970 Daytonas that exist (or not) is why I made mine with no window plug.

Hi Don,

Welcome to the site!  Glad you (finally) joined up, and you have an awesome car!  I don't know if I have any pictures of it from the Monster Mopar show, but I'm sure there might be some  :drool5: marks on it from when I looked it over.  My wife really liked the color, BTW...

Thanks for posting, but now that you're on the site we won't let you off the mat until you post some more pictures of your car...   :P

Quote from: Daytona Guy on January 25, 2009, 02:32:29 AM
I too have been to see this car and talked to Jerry. From what I read and saw -  to compare this car to the factory Creative Industry 69 Daytona would be a mistake in logic. Jerry has never said it is a factory Daytona. Anyone could go into a Dodge dealer in 1970 and order their 70 Charger with Daytona parts. I personally owned a 70 RT that had an original 69 Daytona wing on it that was ordered and delivered with the wing.

Chrysler never commissioned a factory 70 Daytona. Could you order a 70 Charger SE RT loaded with 69 Daytona parts installed on it  Absolutely. So comparing this special order 70 Charger Daytona to a 69 Daytona that was build by Creative Industry commissioned by Chrysler for homologation reasons is apples and oranges IMHO. So looking for wholes or saying it lacks a rear plug is unnecessary because it does not prove or disprove anything.

This car was not made for homologation reasons.

Best post period about the '70 Daytona, and it sums up what I've thought about the subject all along.  Jerry never represented it to me as a factory Daytona, as that story only picked up steam after he sold it.

pettybird

Quote from: 69_500 on January 24, 2009, 03:58:27 PM
I have some pics of it from Michigan back in 1979, which I obviously didn't take, considering my age at the time. But apparently I was at the show.

funny...I don't remember you being there  :lol:

pettybird

Quote from: A383Wing on January 22, 2009, 09:15:46 PM
No pic of fender tag...shouldn't it have "A11" or something like that to be a Daytona??

A11 in '70 was a 300-H.  I guess A14 was simply out of the question...

Chris G.

Anyone could go into a Dodge dealer in 1970 and order their 70 Charger with Daytona parts. I personally owned a 70 RT that had an original 69 Daytona wing on it that was ordered and delivered with the wing.

Please prove any of that.

No "customer ordered" 1970 Charger ever left St. Louis with a wing and nose as far as I am concerned.

maxwellwedge

As a very good friend of mine has said at least 1823 times - "Show me the Buildsheet".

A re-pop window sticker does not turn my crank. Anyway, this has been going on and on for decades with this car.

maxwellwedge

Anyone could go into a Dodge dealer in 1970 and order their 70 Charger with Daytona parts. I personally owned a 70 RT that had an original 69 Daytona wing on it that was ordered and delivered with the wing.

Did you own it/buy it new during the current '70 (Aug 69 - June 70) model year?

Charger_Fan

Hi I am the owner of the Q5 1970 Dodge Daytona clone. My nane is Don as said in some of the other post. I've  been looking at this site for a long time but was apprehensvie about joinig or showing the car. The wing is a real Daytona piece bought at the Mopar NATs in 1995. The nose is from showcars in Canada. I did not put in a plug for two reasons. I never wanted it to be passed off as real and supposedly the three 1970 Daytonas that exist (or not) is why I made mine with no window plug.
Welcome aboard, glad to have you here. :cheers:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

hemigeno

Quote from: Chris G. on January 25, 2009, 07:45:17 PM

No "customer ordered" 1970 Charger ever left St. Louis with a wing and nose as far as I am concerned.

Chris - I know I'm putting words in Dane's mouth here, but I understood him to be saying that you could order up a new '70 Charger and ask the dealership to install the Daytona "accessories" prior to delivery.

I've had accessories installed before delivery several times when special-ordering trucks, and I'm sure the procedure was similar back then.  I did not think he was implying that Chrysler would process the order and ship it with any Daytona hardware whatsoever.  If he WAS implying that, I'm off that bandwagon for sure...   :P

Chris G.

Quote from: hemigeno on January 25, 2009, 11:45:58 PM
Chris - I know I'm putting words in Dane's mouth here, but I understood him to be saying that you could order up a new '70 Charger and ask the dealership to install the Daytona "accessories" prior to delivery.

Gotcha.  :2thumbs:

BTW, how long were Daytona parts available from dealerships? Or should I say when did they discontinue them?

nascarxx29

The club had a wingcar parts list .That had NS 1 of parts not no longer dealer available .Have to see what date that paper was
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

hemigeno

Quote from: Chris G. on January 26, 2009, 03:17:03 PM
BTW, how long were Daytona parts available from dealerships? Or should I say when did they discontinue them?

It depends on the particular part.  Some parts had quite a few "extras" ordered by Chrysler, some had relatively few.  I'd have to dig through some stuff to see if I have any records on factory-ordered nosecones and wings, seems like I remember seeing something on those.  Whenever that supply was gone, I'm pretty sure they were listed as NS1, meaning I don't think they kept ordering new batches.  A whole lot of Daytona stuff was NS1 pretty early in the '70s, and the wing car newsletters from back then pointed that out pretty regularly.  It seems like quite a few of the factory parts depot orders I've seen were written up late into the 1969 calendar year, so the Juenemann car's selling dealer would likely have still had access to the right parts over-the-counter in early 1970.

Some major parts were available on the black (or at least dark gray) market, like wings & nosecones - sold by people who somehow ended up with a basement or garage full of parts.  Fell off the truck, or so the story goes...   :rotz:  On top of that, several of the race teams sold off parts once they were obsoleted.  The dealership wouldn't have gone that route, but a lot of other guys did.

I'll try to find anything on nosecone and wing orders later this week (got some major stuff going on at work), or maybe this weekend I can look through the original depot orders again on my roadtrip.

69_500

Quote from: pettybird on January 25, 2009, 07:31:41 PM
Quote from: 69_500 on January 24, 2009, 03:58:27 PM
I have some pics of it from Michigan back in 1979, which I obviously didn't take, considering my age at the time. But apparently I was at the show.

funny...I don't remember you being there  :lol:

Likewise.

As far as the extra parts being around, Gene wasn't there a paper showing how many of what was ordered to be made? I was thinking it was something like 650 of some of the unique parts being made on certain items. I don't recall if it was for nose/wings or just smaller items. Could have been the front fenders now that I think of it.

Daytona Guy

Quote from: Chris G. on January 25, 2009, 07:45:17 PM

No one has said it "left St. Louis with a wing and nose". So, not sure of your point. Someone has posted on this site the parts list from Chrysler for the 69 Daytona. It stands to reason that if you build a car there is always going to be a parts list for replacement parts, it is required by law as to not screw the customer over if they happen to wreck their car after they buy it. If someone could be so kind to find and post that parts list that all dealers could order from could clear this up. Thanks

Daytona Guy

Quote from: maxwellwedge on January 25, 2009, 07:59:51 PM

My Dad worked at Textronix with the guy who bought this 70 Charger r/t new with the wing on it. We bought it back when none of this debate was necessary. The owner said that he loved the wing and ordered it and the dealer put it on new before he picked it up from the dealer. We saw the car new, we bought it from him 12 years later for 750.00 with a blown engine. Back then we had no idea the big deal it would be to prove everything on how a car was ordered from the dealer. It really is no big deal to me, I know what I saw and bought and it does not mater if someone believes me or not. 

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Daytona Guy on January 26, 2009, 07:56:45 PM
Quote from: maxwellwedge on January 25, 2009, 07:59:51 PM

My Dad worked at Textronix with the guy who bought this 70 Charger r/t new with the wing on it. We bought it back when none of this debate was necessary. The owner said that he loved the wing and ordered it and the dealer put it on new before he picked it up from the dealer. We saw the car new, we bought it from him 12 years later for 750.00 with a blown engine. Back then we had no idea the big deal it would be to prove everything on how a car was ordered from the dealer. It really is no big deal to me, I know what I saw and bought and it does not mater if someone believes me or not. 

Like Chris G. said earlier....We both thought the inference was that the factory did this. I have no problem with the dealer adding stuff - I agree - It happened all the time. I have dealer paperwork showing mags, headers, cams etc being installed on zero mile cars, so a wing - why not!

Ghoste

That's what I thought you meant as well. (that it was installed by the factory)

69_500

To be truthful though none of the Daytona equipment was installed by the Factory. It was all done by Creative, so whats the difference in Creative making the piece and putting it on, or a dealership buying the piece from Creative and putting it on? Same piece, different installers. And from what I can gather it was a different installer (worker) each day at Creative as they were known to just pick up employee's from the unemployment line from day to day to fill spots.

maxwellwedge

Chrysler Contracted Creative (say that 5 times fast or slow) to finish building the cars so Creative, legally, were Chrysler. Dealerships are independent agents selling a product line. Am a a lawyer? No - But I watched Perry Mason for years and I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express once. 

So then I guess that makes JJ's car a real Daytona  :D

xs29j8Bullitt

Quote from: 69_500 on January 26, 2009, 08:13:32 PM
so whats the difference in Creative making the piece and putting it on, or a dealership buying the piece from Creative and putting it on?

:faint:  :faint:  :faint:  :faint:  :faint:  :faint:  :poke:  :nana:  :lol:
After 8 years of downsizing, whats left...
1968 Charger R/T, Automatic, 426 Hemi
1968 Polara 4Dr Sdn, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1968 Polara 4Dr HT, Automatic, 383
1969 Charger 500, 4 Speed, 440 Magnum
1969 Daytona, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1969 Road Runner, 4 Speed, 426 Hemi
1970 `Cuda, Automatic, 440-6BBL
1970 Challenger T/A, Automatic, 340 6 Pack
2004 Ram, Automatic, 5.7L Hemi
2009 Challenger SRT8, Automatic, 6.1L Hemi
<This Space Reserved for a 2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat, 8Sp Automatic,

Aero426

Quote from: nascarxx29 on January 26, 2009, 03:48:44 PM
The club had a wingcar parts list .That had NS 1 of parts not no longer dealer available .Have to see what date that paper was

Our parts contact at the dealer went through the lists for Superbird and Daytona in the 1977, 1978, 1979 time frame.  By this time, literally every Daytona specific part was obsolete in the system with supply exhausted.    The Superbird for some reason was considerably better.

As far as outside sources selling parts under the table,  Creative did have Superbird noses available during this time at selling for about 1/3 the price of Chrysler.    No Daytona stash to my knowledge.     Daytona stuff has always been very hard to come by. 

There was a farly large quantity of Superbird specific items that were obtained from Nichels Engineering in 1977-78.  Again very little Daytona stuff.   When Chrysler pulled the contract from Nichels in 1971 and awarded it to Lee Petty, there are stories of Daytona nose cones and other parts being run over by bulldozers at the direction of Chrysler. 

hemigeno

Quote from: DougSchellinger on January 26, 2009, 08:52:12 PM
When Chrysler pulled the contract from Nichels in 1971 and awarded it to Lee Petty, there are stories of Daytona nose cones and other parts being run over by bulldozers at the direction of Chrysler. 

:pullinghair: :2guns: :badidea: