News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

318 intake gasket ????

Started by ACUDANUT, January 25, 2009, 06:53:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACUDANUT

Do I need these ???  I have a cork set that goes to the front and back of the intake manifold and aluminum for the sides.  The cork is much thicker then the aluminium and I think I might have a problem. ???  Can't I just use silicon alone ??  I need your imput. Thanks

ACUDANUT

Surely someone has SB experience out there, ???

BigBlackDodge

I used them on mine. It's a pretty good gap to fill with only silicone only.

BBD

ACUDANUT

Is it common for the front and rear to be cork and the sides to be thin pieces of tin.  I usually only deal with Big blocks and do not know/remember for small blocks. Thanks for the help.

chargerbr549

I usually put down a good bead of ultra blue or ultra copper silicone on the ends of the intake instead of the cork gaskets especially if there has been alot of milling on heads or intake to get them to fit. The cork sometimes deteriorates over time and starts leaking or somtimes comes out altogether  but everybody has their preference, I know in our machine shop most of the engines we put together we never use the end gaskets on the intake and just silicone instead and we seem to have better luck sealing up the engine.

Kevin

ACUDANUT

Thanks, No milling has ever been done. This is a virgin engine still has Mopar spark plug wires on it.  However, when I pulled the intake off, it had rubber type gaskets on the front and rear of the intake.  Too bad they torn apart, I might have ben able to reuse them. ???

Rolling_Thunder

the cork will collapse a bit - i use them when i do the small blocks
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

ACUDANUT

When I installed the Weiland "action Plus" MANIFOLD on my 76 318, it seems I could see the tin gasket under the manifold  and it did not become "very" flush with the heads ( I could get a small finger nail between the intake and the heads) Is this normal. ??? HELP....... Maybe I have a 360 intake....I DO NOT KNOW THE DIFFERENCE....HELP