News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dana 60 build

Started by Mymopar68, January 22, 2009, 02:05:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mymopar68

Hey everyone. Got a new guy on board, and got a some questions on a rear end rebuild. Or more like starting out with a bare Dana 60 from a truck. Still as the massive drums on both end. Now I've looked through some threads and have found out there is some modifying to be done before the rear would fit under a 68 Charger which is pretty obvious. The cars just being built to be street car, so not to far from stock, just beefed up a little. Now what I'm really looking for is kits, ratios, ect. to build my Dana. I'm familiar with Moser or Strange. Just wondering what set up would you guys recommend. Or kits, ratios, spline, ect. I just need a starting point to get an idea for what I should be shopping for. Also I'm looking to cut the axle to a stock 8 3/4 so it won't be a narrowed rear end. Any help or advice would be appreciated.   

vancamp

you will need new housing ends,spring perches,u-bolts ( I got mine from dr. differential) a jig for welding the ends on, basically consist of 4 pucks and a steel rod they are used to keep everything aligned, you can use the brakes and backing plates from an 8 3/4. new axles of course and a sure grip if it wasnt already equipped with one.

Mymopar68

Now if I wanted to fit this Dana 60 with a disc brake kit, how far would I need to go with the axle? or like just build it up to where your ready to install the drums, but theres where the discs come into play?

69rtse4spd

Call MOSER, ask for MIKE, great guy. Tell him what you have, what it came out of and what you want to do with  it. I went down there and talked to him a few times while doing my own DANA 60, very nice & helpful,(and you can still get the TIMKIN axle bearings) let me know if you need any. 

defiance

consider this another recommendation for drdiff - though his site doesn't seem to work anymore :(

I bought everything to convert my drum ford truck dana 60 to the right width, offset, axle type, and disc brakes from him for very competitive pricing, and he was *extremely* helpful, giving me detailed advice about measurements and such specific to my car. 

I actually just made the jig, and it worked fine - I bought bar stock (I got al, but would recommend steel), and used a perfect circle router jig to get the exact diameter discs made out of 3/4" MDF - two for each housing (one far outside edge, one far inside edge), then one each for the bearing races.  I was a bit worried about the discs, but when I got it together, they were ROCK solid (more so than my aluminum bar stock :P ).