News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How many quarts of oil goes into a stock 69 440 motor?

Started by mauibarber, January 27, 2009, 02:04:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mauibarber

Tried the search function and came up with nothin.  Anybody know how many quarts of oil goes into a stock 69 440 motor?
-Alex

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

RD

my chassis manual states 4 qts of oil, but of course, dependent on the size of the oil filter, you can put in 5 with no worries.  I put in 5, but I just thought you should hear it from the book as well as me.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

hermopar383

Years ago, I had to put one quart PER DAY into my RR.   =)      It was like a progressive oil change until I got it rebuilt.  You should have seen the pistons! 

69charger2002

i always put 5 full quarts plus a STP oil treatment in mine. puts it just over the full stick
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

Sublime/Sixpack

1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

mauibarber

I have a Miloden Deep oil pan in mine and I put in 8.  You think thats too much?

firefighter3931

Quote from: mauibarber on January 27, 2009, 10:29:56 PM
I have a Miloden Deep oil pan in mine and I put in 8.  You think thats too much?

Alex, you need to be clear on what you're asking here. Initially you asked about a "stock" 440 which assuming the stock pan is 5 qts with a filter change. Now with a Milidon pan, there capacity will change depending on which pan you have. The Milodon "low profile" pan holds 7 qts so if you were doing a filer swap it will be closer to 8qts total.

Just check the level on the dipstick after the engine has been run (oil filter full) and allowed to sit for a few minutes to allow for drainback to the oilpan. Add as needed.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

mauibarber

Ya looks like the website says 7 quarts plus oil filter so 8 should be safe.  Thanks for your help.  My problem is that the car has an aftermarket dipstick as well so I need to mark it so I know where 8 is.  I just wanted to confirm how much a stock engine holds.
Thanks again,
Alex