News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

anyone going to the Rolex 24?

Started by pettybird, January 21, 2009, 07:21:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pettybird

yeah, this has nothing to do with wing cars, but since I never venture from this page I really don't know anyone that doesn't post here.  please keep it here for the next day and a half!

I'm going down Friday morning and coming home Sunday afternoon.  five of us pretentious Porsche guys from Cleveland are going  ;)

It should be a cool time, and it'll be the first time I've been to Daytona since, what, 78?  was that the year of the meet?  I don't remember anything, but mom does.  the B5 car's heater didn't work, so I spent the first half of the trip going down lying on the passenger floorboard (over the header and the glasspack muffler) to stay warm.  I was 2 1/2 years old...

Aero426

ALMS only for me.  I'd recommend waiting for Sebring in March!    I have never embraced the change to those ugly Daytona Prototurtles.    They suck.     I think the field will be relatively small this year.   They were talking about padding it with some Koni Challenge cars, but I'm not sure if that's for real. 

That said, I did the Rolex every year from 1993 thru 1999 and it's a very nice winter break and a fun time.    I will catch some of the race this weekend on Speed this weekend.

If you can, hit the Living Legends of Auto Racing Museum when you are there.  It's in downtown Daytona.  You might catch Ray Fox there.

69_500

You can count on not seeing me or my family down there this weekend. I wish though, as man it would be a nice break in weather.

And don't ask me what it was like at Daytona in 1978, I wasn't born until May of 78.

talkiemopar

hey Doug
when you get to Georgia stop and say HI to Frank and give the xx 440 a big hug and kiss  :hah: :nana:

moparstuart

Quote from: talkiemopar on January 21, 2009, 10:09:42 PM
hey Doug
when you get to Georgia stop and say HI to Frank and give the xx 440 a big hug and kiss  :hah: :nana:
OH boy
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

72SE

Quote from: pettybird on January 21, 2009, 07:21:50 PM
yeah, this has nothing to do with wing cars, but since I never venture from this page I really don't know anyone that doesn't post here.  please keep it here for the next day and a half!

I'm going down Friday morning and coming home Sunday afternoon.  five of us pretentious Porsche guys from Cleveland are going  ;)

It should be a cool time, and it'll be the first time I've been to Daytona since, what, 78?  was that the year of the meet?  I don't remember anything, but mom does.  the B5 car's heater didn't work, so I spent the first half of the trip going down lying on the passenger floorboard (over the header and the glasspack muffler) to stay warm.  I was 2 1/2 years old...

Better make sure the heater works this time. :laugh:  29 degrees here in Daytona tomorrow. Mike

Aero426

Doug, are you just camping out at the track Saturday night?

There usually is a nice group of vintage cars on display in the infield.   Looks like they go out on track at 11 Saturday morning.   

Also, plan on doing the grid walk Saturday afternoon before the race with your camera.    You should be able to get over to the grandstand when they clear the grid for the start.   Watch the start and then it is a long walk back to the tunnel to get to the infield again.     

Daytona Speedway employs a bunch of hard-ass security personnel who do an excellent job of protecting the speedway from fans.   

The race is a late start at 3:30 so it will be a very long day.   About 11 PM, it will hit you that "My God, this thing isn't even halfway over."   Hit the Olive Garden outside turn 4 late on Sat night.    Plan on being awake in the hour before the sun comes up Sunday.

If you have a fast enough camera,  bring a small step stool so you can get over the top of the fence in turn 3/4 to shoot the cars on the banking.   

pettybird

Quote from: talkiemopar on January 21, 2009, 10:09:42 PM
hey Doug

as soon as you come to your senses and pay for it.

pettybird

Quote from: DougSchellinger on January 21, 2009, 11:02:27 PM
Doug, are you just camping out at the track Saturday night?

There usually is a nice group of vintage cars on display in the infield.   Looks like they go out on track at 11 Saturday morning.   

Also, plan on doing the grid walk Saturday afternoon before the race with your camera.    You should be able to get over to the grandstand when they clear the grid for the start.   Watch the start and then it is a long walk back to the tunnel to get to the infield again.     

Daytona Speedway employs a bunch of hard-ass security personnel who do an excellent job of protecting the speedway from fans.   

The race is a late start at 3:30 so it will be a very long day.   About 11 PM, it will hit you that "My God, this thing isn't even halfway over."   Hit the Olive Garden outside turn 4 late on Sat night.    Plan on being awake in the hour before the sun comes up Sunday.

If you have a fast enough camera,  bring a small step stool so you can get over the top of the fence in turn 3/4 to shoot the cars on the banking.   

Thanks for the tips.  we're staying at some random motel next to the track (I didn't pay attention to what it is) and we'll have weekend passes. 

I might take my DSLR if I feel inclined to take the pictures...  it's fast enough if I feel like carrying it! 

I'm tired now--my back was so bad Monday that I spent the day home in bed, and I had an emergency root canal yesterday.  I'm excited and not to go... 

We're flying into Orlando and then renting a minivan.  the flight was only $206, and the chip in for the hotel and car are $110, and that includes Friday dinner.  it seemed like a nice getaway!

72SE

Cancun Lagoon is a pretty lively Saturday night spot (next door to the Olive Garden) or the Daytona Ale House. Weather here is supposed to be in the 70's so it should be nice break in your weather :cheers: Mike

pettybird

we went to (and were VERY impressed by) the Wing House...  Our server was Rosa. 

i'll post pics this week--it was a very cool time!

Aero426

It was a great race with a feel good storybook ending.    You picked a good year to attend.

pettybird

Quote from: DougSchellinger on January 25, 2009, 07:33:41 PM
It was a great race with a feel good storybook ending.    You picked a good year to attend.

true.  the Koni Challenge was a total smashup but the big race went well.  I'm happy Porsche one both classes--that means more posters at the dealer for me ;)

there was a new SRT8 Challenger in the Koni race.  it looked TERRIBLE!  it wasn't set up well at all and it ended damaged and out early.  not a good debut!