News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What's proper clutch pedal travel? Any secondary adjustments?

Started by Wakko, July 28, 2005, 08:21:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wakko

Ok, I removed and reinstalled the clutch rod shown below and snugged it up so that there was no travel between the clutch fork and the Z bar.  Now if you barely push in the clutch pedal (1 inch or so) it disengages.  Fun for racing, I imagine, but makes it a real pain in the tail to ease into first or reverse. 

What's the proper method of adjusting this?  If I simply back the nut off some, my pedal will flap around a bit (the return spring is MIA).  Is this part normal to have slack between it and the clutch fork?   ???
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

Chryco Psycho

you have to have approx 3/4 of free play at the top of the pedal to keep the release brg from running constantly 

Wakko

Ok, thank you.  I backed it off some earlier today but I'll back it off some more. 
Ian

Boynton 236 F&AM

tecmopar

There shouldn't be any slack between the fork rod and the fork. It sounds as if your missing the fork return spring ( goes from the notch in the fork to the bellhousing) which removes the slack and keeps the fork pulled tight against the adjusters on the rod, good luck.

Wakko

There's a spring that pulls the clutch fork forward, but that's it.  Where's the second one?
Ian

Boynton 236 F&AM

tecmopar

Thats the spring I'm talkng about, you may need a stiffer one OR if the overcenter spring for the clutch pedal under the dash is missing, that could also give you adjustment problems.

Wakko

Guess these two threads are ending up into one.   Sorry about that.  :)   I definitely don't have the overcenter spring.  I hadn't been in a hurry to add it since I like the clutch pedal tension without it.  Is it detrimental to leave it out or should I just get it and work out that leg a little more?
Ian

Boynton 236 F&AM

tecmopar

Actually, the overcenter spring makes it easier to step on the clutch pedal.