News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How about offering a membership package?

Started by jb666, February 01, 2009, 04:38:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jb666

Nothing huge.. A small yearly fee that would give you "elite member" status... It could help with server fees/upgrades and give users things like larger mailboxes, etc...

It's a huge success on sites like Corvetteforum, where they offer 3 different "plans" from simple to Gold. Each plan has a different level of benefits, but it helps the (site owner) generate some revenue for things that are necessary. Here are their plans:

Supporting Member        
Cost:
US$25.00

Lifetime Supporting Member        
Cost:
US$100.00

Supporting Gold Member   
Cost:
US$50.00

Lifetime Supporting Gold     
30 years $200

The thing I'd be willing to pay for would be a larger PM Box. I know this uses server resources, so I'm not even sure if it's an option.

Just a thought  :cheers:

WingCharger

There was a IH forum that tried that. Conflict between paid and unpaid members ended up causing it to completely collapse and shut down. :rotz:

jb666

Quote from: WingCharger on February 02, 2009, 06:07:24 PM
There was a IH forum that tried that. Conflict between paid and unpaid members ended up causing it to completely collapse and shut down. :rotz:

Yeah, I could see that.. "Paid" members thinking they are better then "FREE" members..

On CF the old site admin (TROY - Not related to our Troy) didn't have a problem banning paid lifetime members for stepping out of line.. That's when the s**t would hit the fan..

I always remained a "free" member there.. But I'm more comfortable posting here, so my PM box fills up quick  :lol:

69bronzeT5

I think it's not too good of an idea...mainly because like you said...Paid members thinking they're better than the Free members. A guy on  For A Bodies Only suggested a section for Free/Giveaway/Trade just for Gold (paid) members. :brickwall:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Troy

Well, that's sort of the idea isn't it? There has to be some sort of incentive. On the old site we had a contributor's section where we had giveaways and special deals so it's not a new concept here. There was a bit of the "I gave money so I deserve special treatment" attitudes. When I took over the site there was somewhat of a trust issue so I haven't asked for money nor have I looked for outside support. I didn't want to have to deal with it at the time (still don't actually). Something will come up in the near future but I haven't decided how much or how soon just yet.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Khyron

Vette people have to much money if they pay to be special on a web site IMO

I will donate when Troy says he wants donations. But I dont seek anything from it.

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

69bronzeT5

Quote from: Khyron on February 04, 2009, 10:11:44 PM

I will donate when Troy says he wants donations. But I dont seek anything from it.

:iagree: :iagree:

1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

jb666

Just tossing an idea out there.. Sorry to ruffle any feathers here.

Quote from: Khyron on February 04, 2009, 10:11:44 PM

I don't think it's just "vette people" either..  There are TONS of forums out there with paid memberships.

skip68

I'll donate.  :yesnod:  As far as being better than anyone else, I already am.  ;)  Nothing will change with me.  :icon_smile_big:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

jb666

Quote from: skip68 on February 07, 2009, 06:45:45 PM
I'll donate.  :yesnod:  As far as being better than anyone else, I already am.  ;)  Nothing will change with me.  :icon_smile_big:

Oh me too. If there was a "Donate here" button on this website I already would have... I think this site is great, period.

Like I said, not out to ruffle feathers.. I guess what it came down to was trying to expand the PM box and paying for a new/bigger server. How about if I could get a mammoth server set up at the same (or lower) cost than this site was currently running on  :icon_smile_big:

Khyron

Quote from: jb666 on February 07, 2009, 06:34:25 PM
Just tossing an idea out there.. Sorry to ruffle any feathers here.

didnt mean to seem cross ;) It's all good.

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

jb666

bakerhillpins

Yea, I was just looking for a donate button to.

Guess I am going to have to get Inventive!
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Silver R/T

Troy could just setup "Donate" button on the page where you could donate a few bucks via PayPal, some other sites have that feature. Just an idea.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

jb666

Quote from: Silver R/T on February 28, 2009, 09:31:51 PM
Troy could just setup "Donate" button on the page where you could donate a few bucks via PayPal, some other sites have that feature. Just an idea.

:cheers: :cheers: I like the idea, that way there's no "advantages", no benefits, just a way to help out and give back to the forum!!

moparstuart

I love this site , I would also like to donate if and when troy gets/wants it set up.

ps  chuck your the best    :D :rotz: :rotz: :rotz: :rotz: 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Fitz73Chrgr

Quote from: jb666 on February 28, 2009, 09:33:03 PM
Quote from: Silver R/T on February 28, 2009, 09:31:51 PM
:cheers: :cheers: I like the idea, that way there's no "advantages", no benefits, just a way to help out and give back to the forum!!

Agreed.  I'm sure a majority of active members who can afford to donate will. 

I used to frequent an F-Body forum that charged a small membership fee.  I was not a paying member, but went to a meeting and was given quite a few strange looks for not being one of the "elite" members.  Pretty soon the membership fee grew, and before long it was more affordable to modify your car than to be a member of the site.  I went back a few weeks ago looking to post a "WTB" ad for some tires and a few other parts & now you can't even post unless you're a paying member! Rediculous!
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

mikepmcs

Quote from: Troy on February 03, 2009, 09:22:23 PM
Something will come up in the near future but I haven't decided how much or how soon just yet.

Troy

I'm outta here. :smilielol:

And for the record I'm even better than Chuck who is better than everyone else, so I guess I'm the betterest.  I'll go ahead and set up a button next to my avatar so you guys can donate to me so I can donate a portion to Troy to help with the site and to most importantly keep me on the site which I know is the main focus here.

"I'm what Willis was talking about"
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

jb666

Quote from: mikepmcs on April 16, 2009, 06:22:26 PM
Quote from: Troy on February 03, 2009, 09:22:23 PM
Something will come up in the near future but I haven't decided how much or how soon just yet.

Troy

I'm outta here. :smilielol:

And for the record I'm even better than Chuck who is better than everyone else, so I guess I'm the betterest.  I'll go ahead and set up a button next to my avatar so you guys can donate to me so I can donate a portion to Troy to help with the site and to most importantly keep me on the site which I know is the main focus here.

"I'm what Willis was talking about"

Mike... Put down the crack pipe and step away from the keyboard  :nana:

69bronzeT5

Mike and Chuck are both wrong....I'm the bestest :smilielol: