News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

If a cam is too big for power access.????

Started by General Ryan, November 01, 2005, 06:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

General Ryan

I was wondering, cam manufacturers will state if a cam creates suitable vacuum for power brakes.
What I want to know is whats usually the # of vacuum to allow enough to still be usuable for PB and what I really want to know is if a cam is installed that is too big for PB, what does it feel like and what does it do????

Runner

what happens is,  your criusing down the road and you go to slow down,  the first time you use the brakes everything is nice and then you lift a little and go back onto the brakes thats when you have no power brakes until you get the engine speed up enough to biuld some vacuum.  im not a big fan of power brakes on old muscle cars anyway.  thats why i took the booster off my roadrunner when i didnt have enough vacuum to safly drive the car.  basically it is like towing your car with the engine off and usng the brakes.

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

Duey

Ryan...I have the .509 and I am seriously thinking of switching to manual brakes...

Cheers,
Duey
73 SE Brougham, F3 , 440, 850 Pro-form, 727 w TA 10", 4.10SG

greenrt_se

if you have a power steering ,put hydroboost,awesome brakes

Duey

Green, do you have more info on that?

Thanks,
Duey
73 SE Brougham, F3 , 440, 850 Pro-form, 727 w TA 10", 4.10SG

CFMopar

1971 Charger SE 440 automatic
2014 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkKIkpXr-77fWg7JkeoV_g

Ghoste

And I don't know about the rest of you, but it seems like anytime I am out of vacuum and need that second stab, I usually NEED that second stab.
I am thinking about the switch to manual brakes as well.