News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

whats needed to make a daytona or superbird?

Started by bugsydog, April 16, 2009, 07:32:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugsydog

I know to make a clone for a daytona you need a 69-70 body, wing, nose, window plug, anything else? for a superbird you need a 70 roadrunner or satellite, window plug, wing, and nose and 70 coronet fenders. anything else?

Rolling_Thunder

Daytona:

Window Plug
Rear Window
Rear Window Trim
Wing uprights
Wing Cross section
Wing support brackets
Nose Cone
Headlight system
Fender top scoops
A-Pillar trim
Hood Latch Tray
Daytona Valance
Cut down trunk Lid
Modified Trunk Hinges

Superbird:

Window Plug
Rear Window
Rear Window Trim (and corner pieceS)
Wing uprights
Wing Cross section
Wing support brackets
Nose Cone
Headlight system
Fender top scoops
A-Pillar trim
Hood Latch Tray
1970 Coronet Fenders
Hood Extension
Modified Trunk hinges
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

68charger383

$ and lots of it   :smilielol:  sorry couldn't resist
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

bugsydog

RTDaddy

A lot depends on how much of the work you're doing, and how much you're farming out, and how much of a hurry you're in.  Mine took me 3 years, and accumulated most all of the parts before I started it.  So I had time to look for "deals."  But I also went to great pains to try and get it as authentic as possible.  If you just want a Daytona and will go aftermarket, it should not take nearly as long.  In my opinoin, the Daytona is the easier build, especially now that there are hinges for the decklid available.  The Superbird requires rear window trim, and I do not think it's being repopped.  Also the Superbird hood requires re-work.  Just my  :Twocents:.  Good luck.

"IF YOU'RE UNDER CONTROL, YOU AIN'T GOING FAST ENOUGH."
"IF YOU'RE UNDER CONTROL, YOU AIN'T GOING FAST ENOUGH."

FJ5WING

Quote from: bugsydog on April 16, 2009, 07:52:49 PM
What the average build cost? $30-$50 ?

:icon_smile_blackeye:

Im in that range starting with a real superbird with almost ZEROrust issues! If I had to rate the condition of the body I would give it a 9.7 out of 10. No checkbook resto here either. I am/will farm out some of the sub-assemblies but Im working my butt off. I spent the day upside down in the trunk today prepping the top of the compartment for refinishing. I touched parts of the car that havent been touched or seen the light of day in almost 40 years.

With some of the prices of wing cars on Ebay in the last month or so it seems like a smarter decision to start with something finished but not quite accurate and throw another 10K tops at that.  :shruggy:
wingless now, but still around.

hotrod98

Parts not on your list

Daytona

70 Style hood and fenders (modified)
Hood pins
grille and frame
Turn signals
front spoiler
Z-braces
frame braces
valance support
latch tray support
altered wiring harness
vacuum lines
radiator seals
nose to hood seal
nose to fender seals
Daytona style headliner
Headliner retainers at back plug
Daytona style package tray
Wing washers
There are many expensive pieces in the "headlight system"

Superbird

1970 coronet hood (modified)
Hood pins
Z-braces
frame braces
fender extensions
valance
front spoiler
latch tray support
altered wiring harness
vacuum lines
radiator seals
nose to hood seal
nose to fender seals
70 Fury turn signals
nose grilles and frames
wing washers
Superbird style headliner
Superbird style package tray

Did I miss anything?

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

learical1

2 quick items for a 'Bird: Vacuum switch for headlights, and vacuum can under battery.
Bruce

hotrod98

Charles Addams

Daytona R/T SE

A383Wing

moparstuart

but it's all worth it if you keep at it and finish it  :Twocents: :Twocents: :Twocents:

I drove it to work this moring , great day and having a blast .       
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

hotrod98

I drove the 68 runner to work yesterday.
Of course, it's only a couple of hundred feet from the house to the back shop.
Working at home saves a lot of fuel.  ;D

Charles Addams

moparstuart

Quote from: hotrod98 on April 17, 2009, 09:56:06 AM
I drove the 68 runner to work yesterday.
Of course, it's only a couple of hundred feet from the house to the back shop.
Working at home saves a lot of fuel.  ;D
not as fun as an hour each way drive in the birdible

BigBlockSam

i had a blast driving the daytona home from jacks place the other nite . she's loud and proud with those new glass packs .   i drove the superbee there and the fan clutch started coming apart on the highway  . he had my daytona there. so i left the bee there and drove the daytona home home . gotta go back on tuesday and give him the new fan to install for me .

:cheers:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

pettybird

hotrod98

Quote from: BigBlockSam on April 17, 2009, 08:18:02 PM
i had a blast driving the daytona home from jacks place the other nite . she's loud and proud with those new glass packs .   i drove the superbee there and the fan clutch started coming apart on the highway  . he had my daytona there. so i left the bee there and drove the daytona home home . gotta go back on tuesday and give him the new fan to install for me .

:cheers:

I said....no warranty!     :icon_smile_big:

I had to replace the fan clutch on the 69 Runner a couple of weeks ago. It was "roaring". All's quiet now.

As for the daytona, I'm looking forward to driving mine some day. But, for now it's kind of cool looking in the rear view mirror and seeing that big ol' Superbird wing when I'm in the runner. It's almost like driving a real wingcar...almost.

Charles Addams

BigBlockSam

QuoteI said....no warranty!     icon_smile_big

:smilielol:   the way i look at it is that if it didn't leave me on the side of the road , waiting for a tow ,

it's not a break down .  :cheers:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

bugsydog

for cloning a daytona what modifications are made to the fenders and hood?

A383Wing

Quote from: bugsydog on April 19, 2009, 04:39:18 PM
for cloning a daytona what modifications are made to the fenders and hood?

Bottom lip of each fender will need to be rolled under so bottom valance will fit correctly, and the 70 side marker light that is in the fender will need to be covered & filled in.

The 70 Charger hood will have to have the strength folds that are just under the lip in the front taken out and smoothed over...otherwise they will hit the latch tray and not allow the hood to close all the way....

hotrod98

Plus the holes will have to be drilled in the top of the fenders for the scoops and the hood will have to be drilled for hood pins.

Charles Addams

A383Wing

yea..fergot about that....holy crap....no wonder it took me 3 years to do our Daytona....all the little things are coming back to me now....  :eek2:

superbirdtom

and on a correct superbird clone you need to weld in the trunk stops. lotsa parts and labor for sure.

DonC1

I'm on my 3rd Bird clone now, I find the buy in less costly with plymouths as oppposed to chargers...and the fabrication of parts easier too. Once I master posting pics here I will document the complete build. ;D

moparstuart

Quote from: DonC1 on April 20, 2009, 01:17:24 AM
I'm on my 3rd Bird clone now, I find the buy in less costly with plymouths as oppposed to chargers...and the fabrication of parts easier too. Once I master posting pics here I will document the complete build. ;D
:popcrn: :popcrn: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:   cant wait for pictures