News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Oldcarnut's Superbird Clone

Started by oldcarnut, February 14, 2009, 12:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldcarnut

Thanks guys for the words.  I'm hoping after getting through the probate system I can get back on the car.  Here's a pic of the white door panels with the blue accent.  Seats were done the same way

oldcarnut

Bought a couple of H3 headrests from ebay to see about using them instead of the stock type.  I'm 6'7" tall so they'll probably fit me better anyway plus it was a lot cheaper than buying repops and having to dye them the right shade. They'll be recovered in the same extra seat material I ordered with the rest of the interior. Hopefully they'll work out.  I was thinking of getting them embroidered with the Plymouth word or one of the 2 emblems in the pic.  I'm open to any other ideas for that too if someone has a thought. 

Dave Kanofsky

Also sorry to hear about your losses.  My prayers for the Lord's peace for you and your family.

Good luck on the car, the door panels look cool!  It will get finished, all in due time.
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

Musicman

Dave

Having Plymouth embroidered on the headrests shouldn't be a problem... The little emblems on the other hand :shruggy:
Myself, I don't see the headrests as being the place for this kind of work. The upper portion of the seat backs yes, but the headrests  :shruggy: You never know, I could probably Photoshop something for you if you like.

Mike

oldcarnut

Thanks Dave.  Mike that would be cool if you have time.  Somewhere in the house I have some roadrunner patches if I can find them to see what they would look like by themselves. Here's one from a Charger.  Worst that can happen if they don't look right after its done I get them remade or go back to stock.  I have plenty of material. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-Dodge-Charger-OEM-leather-seat-covers-w-R-T-headrest-embroidery-Lt-Grey-/170826520729?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item27c60dd899

oldcarnut

Found out from the upholsterer I have to repair a broke spring and a couple other things.  One of them is locating some better seat back emblems. Need at least 3.  Can't find any repops so in lieu of making them, anybody got a source or have some good extras to sell?

oldcarnut

I repaired the springs then got any rust off the seat frames, cleaned them up, and painted and back to the upholster.  No responses or sources for the emblems so I made my own set out of stainless.  I think they came out decent.  Here's the result.

Musicman

Outstanding job as usual Dave  :2thumbs:

oldcarnut

Thanks, forgot to mention the original one is in the center of pic

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: Musicman on April 07, 2012, 10:24:06 AM
Sorry to hear about your Dad there Dave. Both of my parents have moved on as well, so I know where your coming from. Life will be a little different for you now, but life remains... just keep moving forward as you always have. Your on your own now, but it's important to remember that you will never be alone. Mom & Pop live on still, in your heart, your mind, and your spirit. They are part of you know, and will always be there as you carve out your own trail in life.

Take care my friend
Mike

That is so true,there is so much more to life than we know  and be assured  our loved ones  are always with us and are aware of what we are doing. Peace man...
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

oldcarnut

Thanks guys.  Things are a lot different now in ways I wouldn't have thought.   I needed a change of something and didn't know what it was and bought this 70 Chally today.  Still question myself on the decision but it was good to go out for the drive and get out of the area for the day. Needs a little bit of wiring straightened out and some other things but figured it would be something I could drive around until I get the RR back on track.  Got mixed feelings on the little rear window though.  Looks good on the outside but small to see out back of from the inside.  The wife likes it and may end up driving it more than me.  I guess the SE options appeal to her.  This car was across the street from where gymrat bought the two Superbirds in SC woods thread.  Odd that the guy said he never knew or met Harry even though he had this Chally since 99 and lived right across the road but back a ways.  Anyway it'll take my mind off things while I spend an hour or so a week to get it up in good shape and still be able to drive it at the same time.  Here's after I got it home and before off the trailer.  Except for mine having 440 six pack emblems and dark green interior its almost like this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=8tn1_LqcAZc&feature=endscreen

held1823

nice looking e-body. pretty cool story about the location.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

moparstuart

nice score  great car , great color
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Old Moparz

Nice looking Challenger, Dave.  :cheers:

I need to get back on track with my car projects, too.   ::)
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

oldcarnut

Have you ever bought something that circumstances almost fought you beforehand to not be able to get it?  I had quite a few in trying to make this deal happen. Sometimes I think I should have listened to the signs that were presenting themselves that this Challenger should have gone to someone else.  Maybe the powers that be were just trying to warn me and help me out but I was being persistently hard headed  :slap: Anyway I'm not going to hijack my own thread on it and may start one in a different forum but the monkeyed up stuff I've found so far just on the wiring makes me wonder sometimes about the people that try to work on their or somebody Else's cars.  Just one sample of something I found was house wiring used for the electric fuel pump which also has no regulator or return line and runs non stop in any key position.  The wth list is growing and will eventually get fixed but use up more time than I thought before I drive it which I could have put towards the clone.  There was no brake fluid in one half and almost empty in the other section of the master cylinder yet he took me for a test drive before loading it up at some pretty high speeds  :eek2:. Ooh and no emergancy brake cables either.  Ok that was two samples

mpdlawdog

just keep telling yourself that you love old cars over and over again.........it has worked for me so far.....the charger is still in the garage dispite all the problems.....the smile she puts on my face when i drive her doesnt hurt either!  you will get the bugs worked out!
"Life is Tough...It's even tougher when you are stupid"  -John Wayne-

oldcarnut

Got my seats back today along with the headrests.  I made all new similar headrest hardware but with a little smaller dia hole for the headrest poles to give a good snug fit.  Still undecided on whether to get them embroidered or not.  The guy was supposed to make them removable and said he would redo it if I decided to pursue it.  A good portion of the problems with the Chally has been taken care of to start driving it regular so I'm going to try and get back on the project.

mpdlawdog

looking great!  glad to hear you have had some time to start back on it....and the challenger mess too!
"Life is Tough...It's even tougher when you are stupid"  -John Wayne-

Musicman

Oh look kids.... Daddy bought two new sofas for the living room!  :cheers:

oldcarnut

Quote from: Musicman on July 26, 2012, 06:50:16 PM
Oh look kids.... Daddy bought two new sofas for the living room!  :cheers:
Well you know a guy has to coordinate that decor stuff with the new headliner err ummm table top cover   :smilielol:

Musicman

I know a few guys around here (myself included) who have decorated their homes with various new & used car parts.  :lol:

oldcarnut

Almost another year gone by.  I went by a car show Sat and talked with a guy that had a Bird clone he had just recently finished.  Said he'd been on it for 7 years.  Still wasn't totally completed yet but he was driven it.  Got me motivated a little bit so I went home and everything else I needed to do got ignored and I messed with cleaning up the garage and working the project for the day.  A few weeks back I installed the motor from the Chally shown earlier and the rebuilt tranny done a couple years ago but all the accessories, brackets, exhaust, etc. needed installed. The 440 that was in the Challenger is a fairly strong engine so I kept it to put in the Bird until I got the intended engine built.  At least that would allow me to work on other things and get the new tranny and carbs running and set up to swap over when its done. Made the motor mount upgrade on new mounts before the install so hopefully no more separating.  I sold the Challenger after putting in the 400 and transferring the bling to it. The ac stuff had to stay with it too but I did keep all the nice BPE mounts and pulleys after fabbing some others to replace them.  I also kept the new 3 core radiator I was going to put on it.  The hoses will be opposite now but at least the oil filter will be more accessible. So I got the rad, fan, and some other things put on Sat..  I was able to get the much bigger fan from the 75 Newport that the 400 came from to mount up with clearance. I'm hoping this will draw in more air. The new master cyl. put on a years(s) back had started leaking from sitting so I replaced it again.  I want to run A/C but trying to decide to buy it now from auto classic air and go ahead and install it while the dash and nose is all off. Is anybody running their kit on their car?  How's it working out for engine temps?  Doesn't sound like much but I feel better about getting any work done on it at all.  Just when I was beginning to see some time at the end of the tunnel, I have another renter skip out on me and mess the house up  :brickwall: so before I go visit the England for a couple weeks next month I got to get it back in order/rented.  

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

1970Moparmann

Looks great!  Keep going.... :2thumbs: