News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How many different types of black paint were on a 68 Charger

Started by Dennis K, December 10, 2005, 11:37:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis K

I was just talking to my body guy and I was telling him about all the areas that are going to be painted black, and now I need to know what type of black for each area. First, is the tail panel the stuff called Organisol black? Does anyone have any suggestions for a more modern type of a flat black that would work better? I don't really care if it's exactly correct. It's going to have a buffed base/clear paint job on it when it's done. Then I need to know what type they used on the dash and steering column, and if they are the same paint. I'm just assuming they are. If anyone has a PPG paint code for the dash paint, that would be great. Last, what did they use for the blacked out area behind the grille? It couldn't have been organisol, because lacquer can't be sprayed over enamel. Does anyone have a diagram of the areas needed to be blacked out? Was it just the sides and lower core support, or was the front of the upper core support black, too? Thanks!

josephmartins

Unfortunately I cannot answer the portion of your question relating to the number of different "types of black" used on Chargers.

I can tell you that the best-looking, best-feeling paint to use as an Organisol substitute, bar none, is Alsa Corp's Soft Feeling Paint). It's a textured clear you shoot over the "base" (in this case your black paint). And damn if it doesn't look and feel every bit as good as Organisol...perhaps even better since it's more durable. I'm using the "velvet touch" which really does feel like velvet and is perfectly flat, no sheen.

The spray booth has to be absolutely clean or you'll find yourself in a world of hurt. The smallest speck of dirt/debris on the surface will show up and this paint is hard as nails...it can take several hours to knock down a coat to redo it.

Good luck!  The end result is fantastic. I attached a shot of my hood which is Alsa soft feel in the center and Chrsyler PX8 (gloss black) down the sides.

cudaken

On the tail Panel, I have just used a good quality semi gloss rattel can. Has worked fine on all the Chargers I have done so far.

Cuda Ken
I am back

Troy

That's pretty cool josephmartins! Definitely need to see some more pics.

Welcome to the site too. :wave:

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

cudaken

I soory I missed it was your first post Joe. Welcome to the site as well.

Cuda Ken
I am back