News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

may cause the PURISTS to blow a gasket but...........

Started by mauve66, February 18, 2009, 09:22:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mauve66

Hi.  found this forum from Bryan (A383wing) hope you don't string him up...................
i tried reading all 67 pages of this section of the forum and doing a search but my eyes are getting REALLY blurry right now..............
i have a 66 Charger that i have been wanting to put a Daytona wing on since i got it in '93, i've seen the pics in mags of the orange one in Iowa or Nebraska or someplace but none of them actually have good pics of the wing install (i know he made his from scratch but i will have to find a way to mod mine)
have you folks had a discussion on this car?? anybody have better pics??
i had a chance to buy a wing at the Spring Fling, Van Nuys , Ca 5-6 years ago but passed it up as too expensive.  after reading some of your threads from the same time frame it sounds like i was an idiot.
the guy said it was for a Grand National Daytona and the wing was a little smaller than an original wing (which would be good for me due to the 66 being a little "smaller" looking than the 68 and up cars) and he only wanted $500................................ wing only , no trunk brackets...........
i've noticed that "clone" cars aren't looked down at so i'm hoping you folks don't get mad at my idea...........
and no i won't be putting any daytona or talledega decals on my car............... or a nose or fender scoops for that matter either
thanks for any help you may have
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

pettybird

Quote from: mauve66 on February 18, 2009, 09:22:50 PM
Hi.  found this forum from Bryan (A383wing) hope you don't string him up...................
i tried reading all 67 pages of this section of the forum and doing a search but my eyes are getting REALLY blurry right now..............
i have a 66 Charger that i have been wanting to put a Daytona wing on since i got it in '93, i've seen the pics in mags of the orange one in Iowa or Nebraska or someplace but none of them actually have good pics of the wing install (i know he made his from scratch but i will have to find a way to mod mine)
have you folks had a discussion on this car?? anybody have better pics??
i had a chance to buy a wing at the Spring Fling, Van Nuys , Ca 5-6 years ago but passed it up as too expensive.  after reading some of your threads from the same time frame it sounds like i was an idiot.
the guy said it was for a Grand National Daytona and the wing was a little smaller than an original wing (which would be good for me due to the 66 being a little "smaller" looking than the 68 and up cars) and he only wanted $500................................ wing only , no trunk brackets...........
i've noticed that "clone" cars aren't looked down at so i'm hoping you folks don't get mad at my idea...........
and no i won't be putting any daytona or talledega decals on my car............... or a nose or fender scoops for that matter either
thanks for any help you may have

us purists only hate it when something like that is being passed off as factory correct.  we have batted that orange thing around and that's where some of us had trouble with it.

I'd think you'd be better off making one from scratch as you could better mimic the squarer lines of your car. 

hotrod98

Unfortunately, this is the only pic that I have. I should have taken more, but we were on our way out.
I've seen several other pics of this car so someone should have them. Maybe Stuart or his son have some.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

mauve66

nascarXX29, that pic looks like the pixels are all jacked up from my end, if i click on the "view stream" link i get nothing
is it a video or just a pic??
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

BigBlockSam

:wave: howdy

i think you should concider installing the fender scoops . they look pretty cool too
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Ghoste

I agree, the scoops look at home on that orange 66.  I don't know about the C pillar scoops though, it isn't so much that they look wrong as much as it makes me think of a Shelby when I see them.

69CoronetRT

Quote from: nascarxx29 on February 18, 2009, 10:35:30 PM
Bad upload Im on a wireless connection?

I remember taking those...I should have copyrighted them for as many places as they've shown up.... :smilielol:

The pictures were taken in June of 2004 at the first show the car ever attended. Notice it does not have the rear decals on yet?
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

FlatbackFanatic

I've seen that winged 66 first hand a few times, I thinks it one of the nicest 66 Chargers I've seen. :2thumbs:
Flatback Fanatic, Kurt  , MN

moparstuart

Quote from: FlatbackFanatic on February 19, 2009, 01:27:32 AM
I've seen that winged 66 first hand a few times, I thinks it one of the nicest 66 Chargers I've seen. :2thumbs:
:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

hotrod98

See...I was right...Stuart did have a few pics of this car. He's da man.  :2thumbs:

Charles Addams

moparstuart

Quote from: hotrod98 on February 19, 2009, 11:55:27 AM
See...I was right...Stuart did have a few pics of this car. He's da man.  :2thumbs:
I do  there are also more in this thread         

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,48052.0.html

moparstuart

mauve66

thanks for all the pics and links, don't know why i couldn't find them :RantExplode:
i was finally able to see where he mounted the bases, and one of the links has a pic of a Pink one, which isn't really Mauve but........... still closer than i have gotten to getting the color down yet.  i think i'm gonna have black on mine instead of white though..............

ok, now what is the latest info on wings, some of the posts i read around page 65+ (2006 era) said someone here was making aluminum ones, stinger had fiberglass ones, and Ted Janak offered to make me a custom one years ago, he offered to make the bases first and after i got them set he would make the center piece to my spec in case it was off from the original

whats best fit and easiest to work with for modifications?? although those terms may actually contradict each other in my situation
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

mauve66

so, from reading some threads i guess Janek is the best for the budget minded and fiberglass isn't really the material of choice???
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

General_01

I am not positive, and I only met Larry once, but I think he fabricated the wing himself if I am not mistaken. Anyone know for sure?
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

mauve66

i know he did but if i have to fabricate it myself then there's gonna be a lot of duct tape involved, i'm looking for the cheapest but solid wing to start my mods with
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

rav440

1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

73TXRallye440

Musicman

I think Bryan has pic's... I do remember seeing them on the 66/67 site at one time.

mauve66

i saw some but need more detailed pics of the wing mount on body and inside truck supports
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

Musicman

Ask Bryan... he had the wing for years :yesnod:

moparstuart

on this application I would say find a janek fiber glass wing you are going to have to shorten it to make it work on the 66 . Go fiber glass  :Twocents: :Twocents:

mauve66

Quote from: Musicman on February 24, 2009, 08:50:38 PM
Ask Bryan... he had the wing for years :yesnod:

i'm looking for pics of the orange car in those places

Quote from: moparstuart on February 24, 2009, 09:13:55 PM
  on this application I would say find a janek fiber glass wing you are going to have to shorten it to make it work on the 66 . Go fiber glass  :Twocents: :Twocents:

thanks, that's what Janek recomended years ago but since he was selling the stuff i was looking for another viewpoint
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

hotrod98

Just remember that the Janak fiberglass wing has billet aluminum inserts built into it and you have to take that into consideration if you cut on it.

Charles Addams

mauve66

thats why he offered to send me the uprights first then let me re-measure the center piece before he made it, guess i should have listened to him back then, gotta be alot more expensive by now................. :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

hotrod98

Last time I checked, his superbird wings were around $1200 or more.
Here's some pics of how Don Currie built the steel wing that I have.

Charles Addams