News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Can anyone help me on a Plymouth choke problem?

Started by WH23G3G, February 22, 2009, 06:58:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

On this Plymouth I've got with the 170CID 1bbl Holley 1920 the choke seems to be killing the engine. I got the engine started today after two years of the car sitting. Before that I cleaned/sealed the fuel tank, put new float/sock on the fuel sending unit, rebuilt the 1bbl Holley 1920, new points, condenser, plugs, fuel filter, air filter. Without a whole lot of trouble it fired up and after it warmed a bit it ran pretty good. But when slowly driving it around if you went to give it a lot of gas it would die immediately. I had a buddy helping me that said it's the choke isn't operating. When I got the car the previous owner had the original stove choke in the glove box and rigged up some kinda manual pull choke that wasn't even hooked up so I yanked it. I let the original choke coil soak in some EVAPO-RUST and reinstalled it. One of the bolts was broken off so I couldn't tighten it all the way in, but it still stayed. Does the choke mess up a lot on these Holley 1920s? Is there a way to keep it original and working good?

TNT

WH23    If the carb has been cleaned and the float level correct, I think you may have a problem with the accelerator pump not working properly, the seal can dry out over time if the car is not run regularly, in which case you will need to replace it.
     TNT