News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

race aero car dashboards?

Started by pettybird, February 27, 2009, 04:13:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pettybird

what pictures do you guys have?  I see the Issac picture in the NASCAR rule thread, and it looks like a full fab job.  did most teams go like that or did some still use stock type dash shells?

I'm refurbing Marty for the spring (Mike Svec put the cage in too tightly and I can't move the seat back enough to be comfortable) and want the original shell in the car.  I like the woodgrain contact paper look and will probably do something similar. 

what gauges did most teams use?  Auto Meter has a cool retro looking set, or I'd love to find some vintage SW gauges for the car.  if anyone has some in nice shape for reasonable money I'd love to see pics. 

I think I've found a small block 727 for the car--the Hemi/5 speed route can be spread out over time.  I have to throw money at the Petty bird, the B5 bird and my 924 turbo, and I just made the last payment on my $2400 tooth repair.  I plan on whining about that for a while.

Aero426

The dashboard itself on the Isaac car is exactly what it should be and with the key ignition.   However, on cars they delivered, Nichels typically mounted the guages in a flat piece of aluminum with slightly rounded ends, and then mounted that assembly to the dash panel.  Look in the Supercars book, or John Craft's C-P-D Stock Cars book.     Guages were all Stewart Warner.

moparstuart

Quote from: DougSchellinger on February 27, 2009, 08:58:58 PM
The dashboard itself on the Isaac car is exactly what it should be and with the key ignition.   However, on cars they delivered, Nichels typically mounted the guages in a flat piece of aluminum with slightly rounded ends, and then mounted that assembly to the dash panel.  Look in the Supercars book, or John Craft's C-P-D Stock Cars book.     Guages were all Stewart Warner.

that will look much better then that thing mike put in there
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

nascarxx29

I managed to get that picture when the  71 car was on display
Their idea of rules were legal cheats if they didnt get caught it.Here is a interior shot of 71 K&K  daytona
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

69_500

Just curious but what exactly is on the clutch pedal and the brake pedal in that picture of the 71 K&K car?

Ghoste

Aren't they just rivets for an anti-slip?

tan top

could be to make sure the rubber pad don't come off also :scratchchin:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

CornDogsCharger

Doug's picture of the #71 K&K Daytona is better than mine, but I will post what I have anyways.  About 2 years ago I visitied the museum on a non-race weekend.  That was nice.  First picture is the #71 K&K Daytona.  Second picture is of the #71 K&K standard '69 Charger.  It appears that this car started off either as a '66 or '67 model.  And the third picture is of the #88 Blue Daytona.

Justin
"CornDog"

1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (DMCL Project)
1969 Dodge Charger (WB General Lee "GL#004")
1969 Dodge Super Bee

Aero426

The museum #88 has the Nichels guage panel I spoke abouy.

Aero426

One more I just found.   I believe this is Don White's Nichels Daytona, 1970 at Milwaukee.   Nice view of the guage panel,  '68 style ignition switch.   As you can see most of these dashboards are similar, but with small differences. 

pettybird

it almost looks as if the gauge panel was designed for the '66-67 Plymouth dash opening and they just bolted it into the next frame--interesting

Aero426

It's been pointed out and correctly so that this the Baker #6 car formerly of the Darlington Museum, not Isaac's.  The color of the hood letters give it away.

Ghoste

The two spoke steering wheel seems to be a common one.

pettybird

I'll look for a two spoke aftermarket wheel (that's probably a '64-65 stocker) but I'm gonna leave the electrical tape out of it!

Aero426

Quote from: pettybird on March 07, 2009, 09:06:22 PM
I'll look for a two spoke aftermarket wheel (that's probably a '64-65 stocker) but I'm gonna leave the electrical tape out of it!

Possibly a truck item.