News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

727 to a 518 or Gear Vendors?

Started by 73TXRallye440, March 08, 2009, 07:01:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilde Racing

*****NOTICE****** THREAD FROM THE DEAD!!!!!!!! :shruggy:

I wonder if anyone has any info out on the 518 or 46,7,8re trans and exactly how much cutting of the tunnel is required to get them to fit a 69 charger????

If anyone has any info or links please post up, THANKS!!

Twin Turbo, Fuel Injected, Coil-on-Plug, 69 Charger.
Little to no cutting to make it all fit.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,73346.0.html

flyinlow

Not sure on a 69. On my 73 I did not cut the body anywhere. I made two dents  in the tunnel for more clearence. I actually didnot use the ballpeen . A Chevy guy , who was helping me was more than happy to bang away on my Charger. Can't see them with the black carpet.
I did cut and weld on the trans mount.

FJMG

I am no trans expert but ended up rebuilding my 46 re in my 97 ram and it is almost identical internally to the 727 with the exception of overdrive (valve body of course has additional valves), As a matter of fact the oil pump fits 1961 and up! One of the upgrades in the 47 is the increased # of clutches over the 46 (similar to the hemi upgrades way back when) otherwise many parts interchange. One could use thinner clutches and steels to increase the clutch area in the stock drum otherwise a deeper drum is needed. I do not see why a 46 could not be built stock except for an increase in clutches and a billet converter and still handle a stock hemi. If more strength is needed for higher horse applications then some of the internal hard parts would need attention. The 46 has the 5.9 (small block) bell while the 47 has the cummins bell so either would be removed if using the super bell anyway unless the adaptor plate is used then the 46 may be a better choice. I remember reading somewhere that if an earlier 46 is used then the electrical is much simpler (like a switch for o/d and another for l/u or something like that)
After building my 46re I am seriously considering making one work with a 426. I am even considering redesigning the metal motor mount and repo oil pan in order to drop the motor a small amount just enough to reduce, if not eliminate, any "ball pein" mod that may be required.

*edit* just noticed where I read about this, See RD's sticky!