News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

11" front & rear brake assembly pics and parts needed, any sources?

Started by hemi68charger, March 09, 2009, 09:21:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChargersETC..ETC..

If anyone still has any N.O.S bottom brake return springs for 11x3 manual adj drum brakes
available for sale please let me know . Please send me a message threw the pm message feature with information on how to purchase the springs if the price is right I can pay via PayPal or purchase a US post office money order if needed. Also pics of the spring would help I don't want to purchase the wrong spring.Thank You

If I can't find the NOS spring or matching correct new replacement spring I guess the modern solution is add slack adjuster system to all 4 wheels.

ChargersETC..ETC..

So the 3 1/4" brake extension is unavailable? :shruggy:

I never got a reply from collectors auto supply either? I sent 2 emails there with pictures and detailed measurements of the spring and the part # that was recomended got no reply whatsoever.

Whatever I'll look for Ford brake springs and see if anything will work.

ChargersETC..ETC..

I puchased some Raybestos H 403 front drum manual adj springs for about ten dollars because they looked correct but they are to small compared to whats on my car now.
the ebay ad said they fit 11 inch front drum  :shruggy:

hemi68charger

Quote from: ChargersETC..ETC.. on March 12, 2012, 04:11:30 PM
I puchased some Raybestos H 403 front drum manual adj springs for about ten dollars because they looked correct but they are to small compared to whats on my car now.
the ebay ad said they fit 11 inch front drum  :shruggy:

You're looking for the bottom spring for 11"  drums that are non-self-adjusting? Are your brakes like the picture of my former turquoise '68 Charger R/T at the beginning of this thread?
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

ChargersETC..ETC..

Yes the springs look the same as on the turquoise LL1?paint code charger picture.
I'm not sure if my old springs are correct size or not ?but the new springs I ordered are  smaller and I haven't tried useing them yet.

hemi68charger

Quote from: ChargersETC..ETC.. on March 14, 2012, 07:32:41 PM
Yes the springs look the same as on the turquoise LL1?paint code charger picture.
I'm not sure if my old springs are correct size or not ?but the new springs I ordered are  smaller and I haven't tried useing them yet.

The LL1 was mine and I did that restoration. Let me see if I can find the extra springs I had. I believe it took me a good while to track them down too. Give me a day or two....

Troy
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

ChargersETC..ETC..

Sounds good. To bad it's so hard to find those springs anymore.
Thanks

hemi68charger

Quote from: ChargersETC..ETC.. on March 14, 2012, 09:47:14 PM
Sounds good. To bad it's so hard to find those springs anymore.
Thanks

Is this what you're looking for?
Troy

ChargersETC..ETC..

That looks like the spring to me.Are they still sold at Napa? I tried a quick search of the website but couldn't find them useing that part number. If your intersted in selling them please send me a message with more info. Thank You for locateing the springs and takeing pictures of them.

the coil size is diffrent on raybestos springs but overall the length looks about the same so maybee they would work too but I don't know the napa springs look heavier duty to me

hemi68charger

Quote from: ChargersETC..ETC.. on March 15, 2012, 04:50:48 PM
That looks like the spring to me.Are they still sold at Napa? I tried a quick search of the website but couldn't find them useing that part number. If your intersted in selling them please send me a message with more info. Thank You for locateing the springs and takeing pictures of them.

the coil size is diffrent on raybestos springs but overall the length looks about the same so maybee they would work too but I don't know the napa springs look heavier duty to me

The one out of the box is my original spring off my '68 Charger R/T with 4-wheel 11" manual all the way around.... The one's new in the box are exactly the same size...

I did a search on the NAPA part number and it still shows to be good.. You get 4 in a box, that's all you need for all front wheels..

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=UBP80503_0070707743

$3.49 /ea

Troy

ChargersETC..ETC..

Thank You for all the info I'll order some new springs from Napa then.

It looks like my old spring must have been replaced by someone at one time so the measurements of my old spring are probley slightly diffrent then the oem spec springs  so I'd say don't go buy those measurements I posted of what i thought were original spec springs.Anyway Thank You very much for all the spring ordering info and napa part #'s.

hemi68charger

Quote from: ChargersETC..ETC.. on March 15, 2012, 06:07:22 PM
Thank You for all the info I'll order some new springs from Napa then.

:2thumbs:  Glad to help...... Let me know if you were able to order/find them....

Troy
Troy

ChargersETC..ETC..

I purchased new part- up 80503 adj screw spring from napa. It looks almost identical to raybestos 403 spring but it looks like raybestos spring is just barely noticeabley larger gauge of wire when the two diffrent mfg springs are compared side by side. Other then the slight differance there could be in the gauge of the wire used to make the spring the springs are identical in apperance as far as I can tell. So it looks like both springs will work and my old spring was replaced witth something else years ago.Thanks for all the help finding the correct springs. :2thumbs:

fran b

These parts are available from Harmon Classic Brakes. They are listed for a 1965 to 1968 Dodge Monaco.
Item#22-109, $55.95 for 2 wheels. To find these I just typed in Dodge no model, it's in the 251 to 260 of 410 items. Dumb luck to find them.

Fran B

cavemanno1

fran b

The kit should work, the only part it doesn't have is the e brake anti rattle spring.  It's the partly flattened spring that goes piece that goes from e brake lever to the front shoe. The Harmon kit I sited is for manually adjusted brakes. The e bay kit is for self adjusted brakes. [more pieces] Harmon's has the same kit as ebay but with the anti rattle spring but$$$85.95, OUCH. When you buy brake shoes there needs to be a pin on rear shoe near where the adjuster goes. See earlier posts. The self adjuster lever goes there. I like manual adjusters no hassle to setup. You need to adjust them once it a while.

Fran B

fran b

Those shoe are the type of shoes with pins you need if your going with self adjusters and will work with manual adjusters. Rehrhenberg sells hardware kits also. You should be able to by all this at local auto parts store. Today I put shoes on my 8.75" rear 11x2 1/2" today. Gettin' ready to pull Dana out and put 8.75 back in my car that came in.

Fran B.

cavemanno1

Just to make it clear for me,is there a company that sells the whole rebuild kit with correct springs,pads etc.?
I don't want to hunt down parts if i don't have to!

Thanks,

Peter

fran b

Do you have any parts? If you only have bare backing plates and drums it you will need to do some hunting. The part I'm telling you to look at are after market parts not factory. Rehrenberg is selling hardware kit Item number 321954816425 and shoes item number 221974208778 on ebay . You can contact him without going through ebay email rehrenberg@yahoo.com .He might have any other parts you need. Rocket resto has strur lever item 331729748222. Look on ebay under mopar brakes for parts. Looked through 5 pages of parts [1000 parts] Didn't see e brake levers or the diamond shaped that go where shoe return spring hook. There were more pages but it's late. There are pictures on first page of this post of both manual and self adjusting brakes. If they are detailed enough do a google search. Oh saw a setup of 11" brakes on backing plates all set to go, don't remember shoe width but I remember the price!!!! $440 wow.

ps I needed a spring that go between shoes with manual adjusters he had one easy to deal with.

Fran B

Lennard

Quote from: cavemanno1 on December 23, 2015, 09:45:47 PM
Just to make it clear for me,is there a company that sells the whole rebuild kit with correct springs,pads etc.?
I don't want to hunt down parts if i don't have to!

Thanks,

Peter
PST has the complete kit. Www.p-s-t.com

fran b

That's a good deal if he has all the other parts not supplied in pst kit. He didn't seem to have the hardware adjusters etc. that come in the kits I mentioned. It's a generic photo don't know if it has pin for self adjusters on brakes on shoes?
  If he needs E brake levers there a spring washer that isn't in any kit I've seen. It looks like a flat washer but it's very thin and is curved. [.005 to .010 thick ] He should make sure he gets 2 of them with e brake levers if he needs to buy them. They keep the e levers from rattling around. Rehrenberg could probably supply these he seems to have misc. parts.
Would like to know what parts he has if any?

Fran B

fran b

Found E brake levers with spring washers. Ebay item 22142443307, $50 shipped, olsmoky46 is the seller.
Here's a killer, brake shoe guide plates [the diamond shaped pieces] moparpartsus seller item 251989251301, $74.95 plus shipping $5.00 . Holy clap are they made out of gold! H*%l at  that price I'd make my own!!
The parts I've listed in the last few posts should cover every piece needed except e brake cables.
Misspelled strut levers in earlier post.

Fran B

birdsandbees

Before I spent that kind of money on a few parts I'd just order a complete bolt on assembly from this guy... I can't see sourcing new wheel cylinders, shoes, spring set, ebrake levers etc and paying shipping from various places for less money.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/380100358480?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

fran b

Yea but not everyone can afford that. $440 is a lot of money. I don't know what parts he has. It sounded like he needed shoes and a brake hardware kit and maybe wheel cylinders, $160 of parts. I added the other parts if he didn't have them.

Fran B