News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Another $24 project that will take the 'Bird off the road for months - fixed!

Started by 70Sbird, March 12, 2009, 09:50:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pettybird

ah ok. 

I know from the 4 '69 clusters I've had out of cars at work, the cluster from the disaster Daytona at work and the spare I have that nothing's punched out, and I've not seen a wiring harness with the extra socket. 

It wouldn't help to put a bulb in there, either--it's "sealed" to the back of the speedometer with that foam gasket.  you'd have to Dremel out the wall of the tunnel to get extra light.  it'd be cool to do, though.

moparstuart

this cluster did originally have the wood grain face? not sure if that means anything
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

pettybird

Just 6T9 CHGR

Heres behind the dash on a 68----69 is the same.  Nothing goes in that extra hole....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

moparstuart

Quote from: NOT Just 6T9 CHGR on April 12, 2009, 08:59:54 AM
Heres behind the dash on a 68----69 is the same.  Nothing goes in that extra hole....
cool had the same hole punched out   :2thumbs:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

70Sbird

Hello everyone,
I'm back after being offline for over 3 weeks.
I have had some work issues , computer issues and all of the other reasons for not checking in here! ( I'm actually in Mexico now waiting for a trip to the airport back to Illinois!)
Thanks to all who have kept this thread going, I have actually been able to get some work done on the car in the last few weeks.
Thanks also to PettyBuird and Dave K for direction on the gauges. I ended sending the ammeter off to RTE since it came out of the cluster in two pieces and had burn marks around the mounting holes, I also have them doing the tach kit. I should be putting the whole thing back together in hopefully a few weeks. In the meantime, I replaced the leaking wiper seals, the rotten speaker (thank again Doug for the tip on cutting an Autozone speaker to fit). I also took out the dash wiring harness and found 40 years of cuts, splices and wire nuts holding everything together (no wonder I kept blowing fuses). The heater controls are also out and being serviced as well. I'm getting pretty itchy to see this project running again as I also replaced the lower control arm, strut rod and link bushings a couple of weeks ago. I still need to sort out some internal steering column issues while it is out of the car, but that will likely wait until I have some more of the dash together as the parts removed from the car are now beginning to take up significant workbench space. I have a couple more pictures as well but they are still in the camera about 1500 miles away from me right now.
Looks like the hotel info is out for Talladega, need to get that going as well!

Scott Faulkner

70Sbird

Well the 'Bird is alive again!
it only took five months, three cluster housings, two fuel gauges, much more $ than I intended, many hours of frustration and countless Miller Lites! :cheers:
The cluster went back into the car this past week and I actually got to drive it around the block this weekend. :icon_smile_big:
Now I just need to get the windsheild back in place and I'll be in good shape. (except that my fuel gauge still doesn't work but that is a sender issue).
Thanks for all of the help and direction from everyone, and I can't wait to get some miles on the car this year.
Scott

Scott Faulkner

nascarxx29

You can test the gauges.Excluding the amp gauge before cluster is in the car .A pair jumper leads and 2 flashlight batterys with wires hook in the right polarity .These gauges work on 5 volts .But will show movent going by the way I test them
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

70Sbird

Quote from: nascarxx29 on July 20, 2009, 09:47:20 AM
You can test the gauges.Excluding the amp gauge before cluster is in the car .A pair jumper leads and 2 flashlight batterys with wires hook in the right polarity .These gauges work on 5 volts .But will show movent going by the way I test them
Thanks,
I am positive that gauge isn't the problem as I have never had an accurate fuel sender. I replaced the sending unit back in 2006 when I put in a trunkfloor and new tank, but it read the same as the one I took out, when I filled the car up it read about 2/3 full, when it read empty I could only put about 12 gallons in it.
Now I have nothing at all on the gauge, always reads empty and the tank is nearly full, but if I ground the pin on the sending unit with the key on, the gauge reads full.
I guess I'll pull the sending unit out again and check it out. And before anyone asks, yes I have  verified that the housing of the sender has a good ground
any other ideas?
Scott

Scott Faulkner

XS29J8

Quote from: 70Sbird on July 29, 2009, 10:15:29 PM
Quote from: nascarxx29 on July 20, 2009, 09:47:20 AM
Thanks,
I am positive that gauge isn't the problem as I have never had an accurate fuel sender. I replaced the sending unit back in 2006 when I put in a trunkfloor and new tank, but it read the same as the one I took out, when I filled the car up it read about 2/3 full, when it read empty I could only put about 12 gallons in it.
Now I have nothing at all on the gauge, always reads empty and the tank is nearly full, but if I ground the pin on the sending unit with the key on, the gauge reads full.
I guess I'll pull the sending unit out again and check it out. And before anyone asks, yes I have  verified that the housing of the sender has a good ground
any other ideas?
Scott

This discussion on MOPARTS may help......

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=5378886&an=0&page=0#Post5378886
HEMI 68 CHARGER R/T- 4-SPEED- 3.54 DANA- PP1 RED- BLACK VINYL TOP- PEARL WHITE UPHOLSTERY-STRIPE DELETE- AM 8 TRACK- NON CONSOLE- DRIVEN YEAR ROUND IN SOUTHWEST FLORIDA http://900z1.multiply.com/  http://kawasaki-z-classik.com/index.php  https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AmY22PaMZ1H3dFczVWR2ZlJaX1BvTDFIVUdUZVlseWc&hl=en&authkey=CPi1hp8J#gid=0