News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

2nd gen console back plate

Started by Silver R/T, January 14, 2009, 09:14:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silver R/T

I'm having problems mounting this plate back on the console. It gets gap on the top between plate and console. Is there any trick to it or anyone have pictures how its supposed to sit on there. These are original parts also so Im not sure why it won't fit.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

PA Dodger

Does it have the 2 metal tabs screwed to the back on top? Can you bend them in a little?
Dan
'69 Charger / '69 Dart convertible/ '74 Cuda

Silver R/T

so just adjusting those tabs should work?

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

PA Dodger

My interior is out right now. It's been a while since I looked at the console but if memory serves me right, the tabs should locate the top of the plate correctly already. If you find that bending the tabs might fix the problem, take them off the plate before you bend 'em.  If no one else chimes in on this I'll dig mine out and take pics.
Dan 
'69 Charger / '69 Dart convertible/ '74 Cuda

Silver R/T

After some searching on net Ive found this pic, Ill try to adjust them like that and see where it sits.

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

dukeboy320

Massively Over Powerd And Respected

70daytonaclone

BLUE68RT4ME

I'm actually in need of the back part of the console that this piece mounts too.  I looked at Legendary and it appeared they make one solid console and not the two piece like the original.  I hesitate to say this because I'm 1400 miles from my car right now but, if memory serves me correct, the original console is two pieces.  :-\  My old Cornet had the same console and I remember that being two pieces as well.  Anyway, if I'm correct, where's the best place to look?  I've not tried Ebay yet, maybe I should.  We're just starting the resto  process right now.  Thanks in advance for any feedback!  Oh, and if I'm wrong... please, be gentle!   :lol:
Mark Schultz
"BLUE68RT4ME"

Corellian Corvette

The consoles are single piece - at least all the reproductions are.

70daytonaclone

my 1968 has that same kind of console. I believe it is a 68  oddity. I need one of those as well as mine has a large hole in the top of it! :brickwall:

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Corellian Corvette on March 17, 2009, 04:38:38 PM
The consoles are single piece - at least all the reproductions are.

A lot of originals are 2 piece....as in broken   :icon_smile_big:

70daytonaclone

anybody got one of those rear console sections for a 68 only they want to sell to a georgia charger nut?

squeakfinder

Quote from: BLUE68RT4ME on March 16, 2009, 08:45:04 PM
I'm actually in need of the back part of the console that this piece mounts too.  I looked at Legendary and it appeared they make one solid console and not the two piece like the original.  I hesitate to say this because I'm 1400 miles from my car right now but, if memory serves me correct, the original console is two pieces.  :-\  My old Cornet had the same console and I remember that being two pieces as well.  Anyway, if I'm correct, where's the best place to look?  I've not tried Ebay yet, maybe I should.  We're just starting the resto  process right now.  Thanks in advance for any feedback!  Oh, and if I'm wrong... please, be gentle!   :lol:

Seems like I used to see those come up on feebay from time to time. Maybee it was a late 67 thing. I'm not sure if the front section of yours is the same as a first gen. But I'm thinking it was left over from 67, :Twocents:
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

Ghoste

Not sure about 66 but the 67 console is the same as the 68,69, and 70 one.  As for the trim piece on the back, it is being reproduced.  Part 131-BT.

http://www.beaparts.com/list_items.aspx?body=b&cat=none

BLUE68RT4ME

Well, my '66 Coronet had a two piece but I'm not sure if it was original, heard the interior was out of a Charger.  What year, I don't know.   :shruggy:  So, I didn't think twice about it being two pieces until I went online to look for a replacement.  70DaytonaClone, mine also has a hole in the top  :RantExplode:, although it's been refinished with the highest quality black electrical tape money can buy!   :smilielol:

So, Ghoste, you're certain this is supposed to be a single piece console?  If so, are the covers and everything else fully interchangeable?

Thanks for everyone's time and input! :2thumbs:
Mark Schultz
"BLUE68RT4ME"

Ghoste

The console in my car now is the original 67 one but it has a small crack in it, for a short time I had one in there that a buddy of mine gave me.  He had it in his 68 and had had taken it from a 69.  He removed all of the 69 top plates and installed 68 ones, I removed the 68 plates to install my 67 stuff.  The only reason I put my 67 one back in is because the one small difference is that the 67 Charger one has a hole in the back of the compartment for a light and I had decided I wanted the lighting but I didn't want to drill console in case he wanted it back.

mauve66

66 was only year for 2 piece that i've seen due to the full length of the console, the rear edge of the front half stops about 2 inches in front of the seatback with the seat at the farthest from the wheel
the 67 and up console is 1 longer piece with the trim on the back of it
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak