News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fiberglass hood painting

Started by flyinlow, April 04, 2009, 11:46:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyinlow

I have a VFN bulge fiberglass hood . I am getting ready to paint the car. Anything differrent about painting fiberglass?

Silver R/T

is it gel coated? What color is gel coat and what color is it going to be painted? You need to primer it to get better paint coverage especially if its dark/black gel coat and you're painting lighter colors.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

bill440rt

Most fiberglass parts aren't the straightest to begin with.
Test fit it to the car first, make sure your gaps line up properly. You may have to add/remove fiberglass material to get it right.
Block it out with 100-180 on a long board, finish with 220. Prime with a high-build primer, block again. Finish with 320.
You may have to high-build it one more time depending on how bad it is. You can then use an epoxy primer as a sealer, or whatever sealer your paint manufacturer recommends. The basic painting operation is pretty much the same as a steel part. Fiberglass parts just tend to need more prep work.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

flyinlow

will be red with a matte black bulge. Currently flat black. Primer I think.

superbirdtom

depends on quality . biggest thing is watch for pinoles.  wipe it down with some wax and grease remover and look down it too see how straight it is. if it is too wavy for you follow previous posters advise.