News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New to group - Just snapped bolt off

Started by DeerRaven, March 29, 2009, 11:13:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeerRaven

Hey, Guys--

I'm replacing the body bushings under my 1974 Charger. I have snapped one of the front bolts off. I'm trying to get it out. That's the main bolt that holds the sub-frame to the body. This is a B-Body Charger. I'll have to replace the bolt; it was original. Do any of you know where I can find a bolt (or two? or four? sheesh) So far, the only ones I've found are for the rear of the car.  :brickwall:

Thanks,
DeerRaven

FLG

Welcome to the site!!

Im sure one of the more knowledgeable 3rd gen guys will step in here but im almost sure you can find them at a hardware store. I know firmfeel.com sells the bolts and replacement metal bushings instead of rubber.

DeerRaven

Thanks, man. You know you hate breaking anything off your old car. I didn't know about firmfeel.com, had never heard of them.

Once I'm done with Skully, I'll upload a pic or two. Thanks for the warm welcome.

Jeff

FLG

Yep, the next couple of post people are going to be yelling at you to put up pics  :smilielol:

mauve66

Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

DeerRaven

Ah...oops. Thanks. My face is red.

Jeff

mopar73

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

DeerRaven

No, not yet. I have to cut the frame in a pyramid to get at the retaining nut. As a last resort, I'll have to try a torch.

Jeff

mopar73

Did the bolt break off flush with the bottom or inside by the nut?

DeerRaven

I already broke a stud extractor trying to get it loose. An inch of the stud is still hanging out and not moving at all.

Jeff

mikepmcs

If you have the means, I would weld another bolt to the stud and then heat it up and wrench it out.  No reason to cut the frame if you don't have to.
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Chatt69chgr

After you have welded another bolt to what is left, try this:  Take some parafin and touch it to the hot bolt.  The parafin will be sucked in along the threads and lubricate the stuck bolt allowing it to come loose.  You might bang on the head of the welded on bolt to shock the rust interface facilitating the transfer of the melted parafin into the rusted interface.  The parafin idea was something a local machinist told me about recently.  If that doesn't work, try heating the frame and then suddenly cooling the bolt with some freon.  The frame metal will expand and the bolt will contract.  This might help too.

DeerRaven

The frame is only about an inch away from the stud. I don't have the room to maneuver to do much else besides cut the frame. I don't like it but there doesn't seem to be alot in the way of choice. :flame:

Jeff

mopar_nut_440_6

Quote from: DeerRaven on April 06, 2009, 08:27:33 PM
The frame is only about an inch away from the stud. I don't have the room to maneuver to do much else besides cut the frame. I don't like it but there doesn't seem to be alot in the way of choice. :flame:

Jeff

I had a similar situation a couple of months ago. My K member bolt broke off slightly recessed into the frame rail. I drilled the bolt out as far as I could go and hammered an easy out into it. I then used a torch to heat the metal around the frame for about 15 minutes and then started to apply pressure. The bolt came out. I was very patient as I did not want to cut the frame.
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

DeerRaven

Thanks for telling me your experience, moparnut4406. I'm compiling everyone's information. D-Day is slated for this weekend. Believe me, I'll let you all know how it goes.

Jeff

mopar73

My situation was similar,  I had one bolt that the retaining nut broke loose on while trying to remove the K frame  :flame: so I had to cut the bolt  to get the k frame out and then drill out the spot welds of the mount, remove it and replace the nut and put it back together.  Is your engine still in?  By the way the parafin wax works well.

DeerRaven

Motor's in, the frame is only two inches away from the support. I'll be working on it Saturday.

Jeff