News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

This is why I would tow my car to the Chrsyler PA meet this year if I go.

Started by 1969chargerrtse, April 06, 2009, 05:28:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969chargerrtse

So I'm cruising around yesterday, and what do I see?  I pulled over and asked if there was anything I could do?  One thing I love about Mopar guys is you know you have the same deep love and you can walk up and introduce yourself.  The alternator went,  Gee does that happen often?
I'll say this, if I need a tow, bring the flat bed.

Actually I have a small 2 cycle generator that puts out 80 amps of DC power.  Our family car died on us one 98* hot summer day and we were 2 hours from home with the 2 kids sleeping in the back,  I fired the generator up, held it out the pass window with booster cables running under the hood as we drove home on generator power the whole way home.  Yes I did.  Good thing I brought it.  :2thumbs:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Back N Black

One thing you will learn about Mopar's, carry lots of electrical parts in the trunk i.e. voltage regulators, ignition box, ballast resistors and maybe an alternator. Now that i think about it, that's why i gave up on them for 20+ years.  :scratchchin:

Charger-Bodie

Funny part about all of this , is that Ive been driving around in these cars for 22 years now......The only time Ive ever walked from one or needed a tow was when the transmission went out of my gold Charger (318 904) when I was 16.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Just 6T9 CHGR

Wheres the FUN in towing?  :2thumbs: :nana:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

BrianShaughnessy

Step 1.   Upgrade your electrical system. 
Upgrade to dual field alternator / electronic volt. regulator. Eliminate / bypass ampmeter.   Fix bulkhead connections.  Headlight relays.  New harnesses if required.

Step 2.   DRIVE IT! 
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Tilar

Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

1969chargerrtse

This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

moparstuart

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on April 06, 2009, 10:06:23 AM
Quote from: moparstuart on April 06, 2009, 08:40:10 AM
  I have great luck driving them   :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:
Been there done that, and I don't want to do it again.  :rotz:
Oh i still drive them , whats the fun of having it and not driving it .  Plus you get all the great story of your break down and what fun you had   :slap: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :brickwall:

Troy

I lost the alternator in my Barracuda on the way home from Monster Mopar a couple of years ago. At night. In Indiana farm country. Luckily, I like big batteries and had an SUV sized 950 CCA monster in there and drove all the way into Indianapolis to find an open parts store (AutoZone and they were closing). They didn't have the alternator but the store 7 miles away did so one of the guys from the first store followed me and one of the guys from the other store waited on the front step and held the flashlight while I changed it out. Last year at Monster Mopar I lost the power brake booster in my Charger on the way to the aero car gathering at Rich's house. Luckily there was an O'Reilley's that actually had a booster in stock and Hemigeno gave me a ride and use of his shop to change it out. Thanks to Danny (69_500) and Dave (Davtona) for sticking around (and making fun of me). Sadly, the old cars have been more reliable than my tow vehicle so I'd rather take my chances some times...

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Sublime/Sixpack

I've been driving mid to late 60's Mopars for many years now and have found them to be very reliable.  I can appreciate one's concern for having to leave a nice valuable mopar at the side of the road or have it towed, but who's to say your tow vehicle won't break down. :shruggy: Just food for thought  '69chargerrtse.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

BLUE68RT4ME

Quote from: Back N Black on April 06, 2009, 07:34:46 AM
One thing you will learn about Mopar's, carry lots of electrical parts in the trunk i.e. voltage regulators, ignition box, ballast resistors and maybe an alternator. Now that i think about it, that's why i gave up on them for 20+ years.  :scratchchin:

Just as a quick reference, any tips as to an easy way to determine which of these is the problem when you're down and out?
Mark Schultz
"BLUE68RT4ME"

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: moparstuart on April 06, 2009, 10:12:43 AM
  I have great luck driving them   :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:
Oh i still drive them , whats the fun of having it and not driving it .  Plus you get all the great story of your break down and what fun you had   :slap: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :brickwall:
I probably drive my car more than most people. I use it for any excuse I can find. I,m always told " man you use your cars a lot". I love seeing old Chargers on the road. Past history has been something will fault with this car and I'm not risking being 4 hours away. It's come a long way and has a ways to go before I find it very reliable.   I've changed or rebuilt 3/4 of car, I'm almost there. Another bunch of thousands and I'll be done.

moparstuart

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on April 06, 2009, 12:32:22 PM
Quote from: moparstuart on April 06, 2009, 10:12:43 AM
I probably drive my car more than most people. I use it for any excuse I can find. I,m always told " man you use your cars a lot". I love seeing old Chargers on the road. Past history has been something will fault with this car and I'm not risking being 4 hours away. It's come a long way and has a ways to go before I find it very reliable.   I've changed or rebuilt 3/4 of car, I'm almost there. Another bunch of thousands and I'll be done.
Yeah me too now with three cars running I drive one of them any chance I get .  Hit at least a cruise or show once a week in good weather .

Brock Samson

changing alts is about as bad "common" a problem as i've had in 28 years of 7 MOPARs i can do it in approx 20 minutes...
having the room to work on them is the most critical issue, for example it was alot more problematic in the B-vans while the B-bod cars it's pretty much a snap, a crowbar to tension the belts taunt and an extra set of hands to accomplish this realy helps alot.
i have at times had problems getting a good Alt. though, once i had to go back twice to get a good one. They are supposed to be bench tested before they're sold...  :RantExplode:
carrying and extra ballast resistor and having an alt in reserve is allways a good idea. so is a fire extingusher (a small one fits perfect in my console)  :yesnod:

Q:
"Just as a quick reference, any tips as to an easy way to determine which of these is the problem when you're down and out"?
  A: well, when the Alt .goes - the volt gauge needle will dip below the middle mark and cannot be raised by reving the motor...
sometimes the Batt. cables will corrode and loose contact a cleaning will solve this problem... though a quick hit with a hammer or other blunt object will allow contact in a pinch.
Starters will sometimes heat sink and will work fine after they cool down which takes exactly 45 minutes...
amd batteries will sometimes go south after a decided climate change mine tend to go after the first cold snap of fall/winter...
and, while on the subject of "heat sink", sometimes the fuel will vapor lock in the lines before it gets to the carb.
thankfully all my cars are trouble shot and working fine. i haven't had any of these problems in several years but i have had all of these problems incl. the dammed mystery ballest resistor problem over the years...
i have also had spark plug and/or coil wires come loose and that should always be one of the first things checked for postive contact, it recently happened in my RR for no apparent reason, the car was running waaay rough on 7 Cyl. and simply pushing the plug wires into the plugs solved that problem..
if you've looked at all these things and it's still refusing to start - swap the ballest resistor..  :shruggy:
having one of those battery charger packs is a must! it can make the difference from a super duper PITA! to being on your way in about a minute.
as so, thus exhausts my extensive trouble shooting knowlage.  :-\

BLUE68RT4ME

Thanks Brock!  Growing up with my Dad's (and my) Coronet I new the alternators were often a problem, so much so that my dad actually saw fit to put a GM alternator in, sad as it is!  :icon_smile_wink:  From the time I was a kid I knew you can tell if you're getting a charge just by removing the positive cable while it's running.  If it kills, no charge.  However, when you get into ballasts, regulators, and other electronics I'm pretty naive.  I don't know that much about them.

I became really good with using a screw driver in the spark plug cable to see if I was getting any sparkby laying it just close enoght to the block to see the spark jump if it wouldn't start, rather than taking out the plug first.  The plugs were such a  :brickwall: to remove with those big manifolds.  But then I knew which direction to head, towards the coil or the spark plug.  And sometimes, it would mean looking at the carb and the fuel filter as well.  That's about the extent of my "sparky" knowledge.  The rest I'm just a little short on.   :slap:  Thanks again for the feedback Brock!
Mark Schultz
"BLUE68RT4ME"

Hemidog

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on April 06, 2009, 09:07:45 AM
Step 1.   Upgrade your electrical system. 
Upgrade to dual field alternator / electronic volt. regulator. Eliminate / bypass ampmeter.   Fix bulkhead connections.  Headlight relays.  New harnesses if required.

Step 2.   DRIVE IT! 
step1: check
step2: check soon!

John_Kunkel

I am of the opinion that no matter what spare parts you carry (including a spare short block) it will be something else that fails.

Carry a cell phone and a credit card and you're covered.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

mauve66

get AAA emergency roadside service for you and who ever is going with you, get the upgraded membership for eash one, that gives you 4 - 100 mile tows per person in the car, it might take several days to get back but............... thats only IF something goes wrong
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: mauve66 on April 06, 2009, 06:11:31 PM
get AAA emergency roadside service for you and who ever is going with you, get the upgraded membership for eash one, that gives you 4 - 100 mile tows per person in the car, it might take several days to get back but............... thats only IF something goes wrong
I actually have that, and that is one reason I may take it down, still not sure?  I hate the rear main seal dripping on my pipes, it smells and looks bad.  And that's just one issue.

Brock Samson

So, Guess what failed on the RR today?...

the original Alt.... of course...

:lol:

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Chris G.

You have Triple AAA, a cell phone and credit card and are still wondering? Sheesh man, it's a no brainer if you ask me.

And stop sweating the small stuff. Carlisle is not about perfect cars, it's about hanging out and bs'ing. Nobody cares if your trunk is black or you smell burning oil. Just get in and enjoy the ride and you will have a great weekend.  :Twocents:

I will even get Chris (6T9) to autograph your dash.  :nana:

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Chris G. on March 14, 2011, 05:34:02 AM
You have Triple AAA, a cell phone and credit card and are still wondering? Sheesh man, it's a no brainer if you ask me.

And stop sweating the small stuff. Carlisle is not about perfect cars, it's about hanging out and bs'ing. Nobody cares if your trunk is black or you smell burning oil. Just get in and enjoy the ride and you will have a great weekend.  :Twocents:

I will even get Chris (6T9) to autograph your dash.  :nana:

:rofl:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Chris G.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Cooter

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"