News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Grille Measurement

Started by gasoline_24, April 13, 2009, 05:29:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gasoline_24

I have a 1968 Charger and after completely restoring the grille I think I have a problem.  When installing in the car the center section dips down in the middle about in the center.  This part was cracked on the fins in the back when I got it.  I repaired this section and I think I didn't get the spacing between the upper portion and the lower correct.  Could somebody measure the distance between the lower portion (silver) and the uppoer portion (silver)  I believe it should be in the 7" to 8" range.  I would like this measurement in the dead center as well as the two ends.  I added a pic to show where I would like the measurements.

Silver R/T

I've taken some measurings real quick and on the left it's 7 1/2, center is 7 7/8 and right is 7 1/2
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

gasoline_24

Thanks for the info.  I was afraid of that.  Mine is way off.  I may need to find another center section as mine has had too many breaks.  Anyone have a center section?  I sold my other one after restoring, I wish I would have kept that one.

gasoline_24

Was that inside to inside?  I tried to fix mine and it is nearly impossible to get that large of a gap even going back and cutting all of the pieces I have already fixed.

Silver R/T

it was from inside to inside. Ive just restored mine, look in my thread.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

mopar_nut_440_6

I just measured mine which has no breaks and was taken out, still complete.

The centre is 7-3/8
RH 7-5/16
LH (drivers) 7

Weird but that is what it is. I was expecting them to all be the same. I measured three times. It looked fine in the car!

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

James
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

gasoline_24

I thought I had it all figured out and now I am more confused.  Does anyone else have some measurements?  By the way your grill resto looks great.

mopar_nut_440_6

Quote from: gasoline_24 on April 13, 2009, 10:46:03 PM
I thought I had it all figured out and now I am more confused.  Does anyone else have some measurements?  By the way your grill resto looks great.

Sorry about that!  I know how frustrating things like this are especially with conflicting information! This grille is mint. :shruggy:
1968 Charger R/T 440 

Charger-Bodie

The grille shell (steel outer frame) will hold and pull it into place to an extent.

Alot of the time thats why they sag in the middle.....you get someone laying on the grill to adjust the carb or whatever and it bends the steel and it stays there. you can grab that and bend it back up fairly easily as long as the plastic grille itself will take it.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

gasoline_24

I tried that and it would only move so much.  I have temporarily welded it back, but it is still only around 7 1/2".  I put a 8" spacer in there and it would not hold.  I may have to redo more of the grille.  Still looking for one in great shape.

mopar_nut_440_6

Quote from: 1hot68 on April 13, 2009, 11:08:03 PM
The grille shell (steel outer frame) will hold and pull it into place to an extent.

Alot of the time thats why they sag in the middle.....you get someone laying on the grill to adjust the carb or whatever and it bends the steel and it stays there. you can grab that and bend it back up fairly easily as long as the plastic grille itself will take it.

My grille is not installed which would explain the difference in my measurements. Good luck in your search!
1968 Charger R/T 440