News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

which manual & less then $1000 disk brake kit is best buy?

Started by CB, March 01, 2009, 05:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CB

1968 Dodge Coronet 500

Rolling_Thunder

PST sells the same SSBC kit  :2thumbs:

Honestly - I would go with a factory 11.75" rotor swap...    best bang for the buck IMO
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

colrmustang

I like the feel of the Wilwoods; strong braking feel, can deffinantly stop the car. Then again, its just my opinion. What do you perfer in braking feel?
1966 Dodge Charger 426 Hemi/727 Trans = Metal Repair Underway
Dallas, Texas

runningman

We did have some group buys with SSBC a few years ago.  I think we can still get discounts from them, I will check it out if interested...

CB

1968 Dodge Coronet 500

runningman

I will try and get in touch with them when I get home from work...

CB

1968 Dodge Coronet 500

runningman

I talked to Garrett over at SSBC, you can still get a discount but it sounds like the it is a smaller percentage than the quantity group buy that we did a while back.  He rattled off some prices but I was in the car and didn't have paper handy to write them down.  You have to call him directly to order anyways so best thing to do would be to call him and have him quote you prices.  You have to mention the dodgecharger.com discount.  I don't remember his extension but when you call the 800# (800-448-7722) you have the option to dial in his last name to get his line.  His name is Garrett Peters.......also, I mentioned to him about there being an issue with the master cylinder that they supply with the kits and he was not aware of any issues.  He said the only problem is when using a factory power brake booster or something like that.  If there is anyone that is familiar with this issue and can explain it better than me........which should be 99% of you ;D please let me know.  I believe it is an issue with the size of the bore in the supplied master cylinder when converting to manual disks.  Thanks

Matt

CB

kit A156

Summit: $899.95 + S/H (which is 7.50 additional delivery charge + $11.95)
SSBC: $995 + S/H

Even if they give 10% discount they meet Summits price...

SO my guess is that Summit is the place to buy SSBC brake kits :scratchchin:
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

runningman

I am not positive but I believe that kit was around $875 with our discount.  Not sure what the shipping charges are though.

kylem4711

so what did you end up going with cb?  i am looking to upgrade my 70 in the near future
1970 dodge charger rt 440 4-speed
1973 plymouth barracuda 4-speed

no318

Quote from: GREEN684SPD on March 07, 2009, 10:00:01 AM
i just bought this kit.all mopar part #s used.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Mopar-Disc-Brake-Kit,3793.html

What did you use for a proprtioning valve and master cylinder?  Did you have to build/modify lines to the wheels or were they included?  THANKS.

bull

I think if I had it to do over again I'd go with Scarebird laser cut adapters that bolt to your original drum brake spindles and then buy the rest through a local parts store. I bought everything but the adapters and spindles from parts stores anyway but the Scarebird adapters make it easier.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge-1966-Coronet-Charger-Hemi-front-disc-brake_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713Q2em153Q2el1262QQcategoryZ33563QQihZ024QQitemZ370126797839

"Change out your marginal front drums for affordable heavy duty disc with our CNC laser-cut brackets.  These cold-rolled steel adapters will bolt straight on to your drum spindles with no modification.  They use 1973 Plymouth Fury rotors (11-3/4" diameter) and 1994-99 Dodge Ram 1500 front calipers for excellent stopping power for your intermediate Mopar.  We also supply inner and outer CNC machined spacer bushings, new upper attachment hardware and banjo bolts along with installation info.  This requires the use of the15" Rally/Cop or larger rims; they will not fit 14" rims.  Email us direct for technical information and install sheet."

Corellian Corvette

Those look interesting.

I did a bunch of research before getting mine, and I went with the MP brakes setup. It uses Mopar parts as well, and I believe the SSBC kit does not. The MP brakes setup uses a more factory-like proportining valve and won't require you plumb in a custom rear adjustable prop. valve.

So I liked the MP brakes setup as it looks closer to factory correct.

Keep in mind the challenge with all of these kits (and any disc brake conversion either in kit form or otherwise) is the power booster. Nobody makes the correct dual-diaphram Bendix booster new, and used ones are long gone. The ones you get from MP Brakes, SSBC, etc. are not at all factory. I have not heard of anyone using the single-diaphram drum booster in a disc application, but I was told on this forum there would not be enough boost to work well.

So converting to power front discs properly is much harder to do. Manual front discs should be much less of a problem.

terrible one

Wow, I wish I had known about the Scarebird stuff. Ah well, probably still more expensive than my current setup at the end anyways.

R2

I did the SSBC conversion on mine,,,,and am very happy......

The kit was complete,,,and the conversion was pretty easy......

the only issue,,,was the MC they supply,,,,the bore was too big,,,,so i changed to a different MC,,,($20),,,,,

BEFORE

AFTER