News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Making a Hemi out of a 383

Started by nitrometal, April 12, 2009, 11:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nitrometal

So, after a year or better of collecting parts and a lot of pondering, I started tearing down the engine bay and mocking up how I'm gonna make my 383 look like a 1970 Stock Car Hemi.  I stripped down some parts that were in the way plus more because eventually I'll pull everything out and paint it Petty Blue & Hemi orange.  All went surprisingly well and I hardly busted any knuckles.  :icon_smile_big:

These photos are,
#1:  The 383 stripped down.
#2 & 3: The Hemi valve covers, bathtub intake (top only) and the Holley carb with the LeMans style float bowls.

The "new" parts are just sitting on the motor in approximately the location I need to put them.  Next up is how to mount them and make it look convincing.

So far, the only thing that I see that will make me cut it up and make it difficult to return to stock will be cutting the cowl induction / air cleaner intake hole in the firewall.  I'm willing to do that because it will really set the look.  Plus, I'll get nice cold air down the the intake!

I do have a bit of a dilemma and I would like to hear ya'lls opinion on it.  If you look close the valve covers are modified units from Dick Landy Inc. I bought them a while back on eBay because they had the 4 tall breather tubes that Nascar used to connect the sides together with the crossover tube, they were ugly and I didn't want to ruin a good set and the price was right.  When I got them I saw the decals and the obvious mods he had made.  The guy selling them didn't know what he had.  Man,  I'd hate to use these covers because of his legacy and demise because I will have to modify them a little bit more.  Would you use them or mount them in a display case?

I'll put another post up in the engine section later with some better photos of them.  They are rough and well used and I would swear they were acid dipped because I don't think they weigh anymore than a sheet of heavy cardstock paper.

Anyway, take a look at the photos and give me some feedback on how crazy I am!!!   :slap:
I love the smell of nitro in the morning.

http://pettysuperbird.com

pandamarie

Looks good so far, sorry I cant be any help with that conversion but if you would like to sell that eldebrock intake I would be interested.
I thought the hemi had 5 head bolt per cylinder and the B and RB only 4.

nitrometal

Quote from: pandamarie on April 12, 2009, 11:59:08 PM
Looks good so far, sorry I cant be any help with that conversion but if you would like to sell that eldebrock intake I would be interested.

I'll still be using the Eldebrock intake. I am making a copy mold of the bathtub and modifying it so that it sits down around the original carb & intake and I still have the streetability of my dependable 383.  As far as the hemi bolt patterns (I'm not installing heads just covers), I'll make an adapter plate so that the hemi valve covers will bolt down over the smaller B/RB heads.

The whole idea is to make the 383 look like a hemi without spending $14k.  All I want is that "WOW" factor when you open the hood. A trained eye will see that it's fake. Of course, by the time I get done fabricating all these parts to look like they belong there I'll have $14k in labor in this project, right?

moparstuart

very cool glen peters did that with his 440 on his petty bird    :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Aero426

Phil, you should talk to Glen Peters in Iowa.  Glen had a Petty replica Bird (since sold).  He made some nice looking fake Hemi valve covers.  I think he used two pairs of 440 covers to do it.  

Chargerrtforme

Hello, stupid person here.  You mean to tell me you can put Hemi heads on a 440 block and valve covers and 2 carbs and look like a Hemi engine?

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

moparstuart

Quote from: Chargerrtforme on April 13, 2009, 10:16:09 AM
Hello, stupid person here.  You mean to tell me you can put Hemi heads on a 440 block and valve covers and 2 carbs and look like a Hemi engine?
no he didnt put the heads on just valve cover to make it look like a hemi at first glance .

you can put the stage v hemi heads on a 440 , but this was just cosmetic to look like a hemi .

nitrometal

I've brought up this project before and Glen Peters name was mentioned then.  Is he on the forum or does someone here keep in contact and can get me in touch with him?

I would love to hear how he went about it and especially see some photos!   :yesnod:

mauve66

i thought that was stage VI engineering that had the hemi head for RB blocks???

cosmetically, i think it will look cool
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Aero426

dads_69

There is a '69 Roadrunner where I live w/a 383 block and 426 Hemi head set up on it. Built in the mid 80's but also took many mods to make it all work together. Cool idea yes, but in the end, he spent damn near 10 grand when completed.
A little over two years ago now I was gonna do the same thing since Ma mopar up here couldn't get me a 426 block on time, 9 months of waiting and still nothing, I got pissd off and sold my hole Daytona clone project, car new Hemi motor/body parts I had for 426 $4600.00.

Mark

Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

FJMG

Quote from: mauve66 on April 13, 2009, 03:32:17 PM
i thought that was stage VI engineering that had the hemi head for RB blocks???

cosmetically, i think it will look cool

That's  what I remember from the nats around 1990 or so? I have the brochure here somewhere, IIRC the kit included heads pushrods rocker gear and I think you could use the B/RB cam but I'm not sure. Was a pretty neat conversion I thought.

Regardless you got a very different project ahead of you nitrometal.

hotrod98

That's almost as crazy as putting a Superbird wing on a 69 Road Runner.  :icon_smile_big:

We're cloning the cars...why not clone the motors?  

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

richard pettys 73

Quote from: hotrod98 on April 13, 2009, 05:54:09 PM
That's almost as crazy as putting a Superbird wing on a 69 Road Runner.  :icon_smile_big:

We're cloning the cars...why not clone the motors?  

:iagree: :iagree:
YES MY NAME REALLY IS RICHARD PETTY
I JUST DONT HAVE HIS CAR......YET

Howie

Way to go phil. Why not use those DLI valve covers. I would. Where did you come up with that carb? I bought one and stuart hooked me up with the #s to get it rebuilt and its brand new now. only cost me a couple of fingers and a thumb.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: pandamarie on April 12, 2009, 11:59:08 PM

Small Block 4 H/bolts per cylinder  -  B-Rb 5 per cylinder

nitrometal

Quote from: Howie on April 13, 2009, 08:41:55 PM
Way to go phil. Why not use those DLI valve covers. I would. Where did you come up with that carb? I bought one and stuart hooked me up with the #s to get it rebuilt and its brand new now. only cost me a couple of fingers and a thumb.

Howard,

I found the carb on eBay for only $30.  It's possible to rebuild it, maybe with a lot of work, but I bought it for the fuel bowls.  I'll call you soon to see how much those fingers cost you!  By the way, how's your Daytona coming along?

Larry,

I like the way your Road Runner looks with a wing.  Maybe I should put a small one on my Hemi clone motor.  That would be crazy, huh?   :rofl:

Some of you guys aren't getting the point about what I'm doing here.  I'm not making any engineering changes to make the motor work like a Hemi.  These are all "cosmetic" fabrications.  All I'm going for is the "WOW" factor when you pop the hood.

I've researched the Stage VI heads and you may as well get a new hemi.  They were a alternative before Mopar started reproducing the original hemi block again.

WingCharger

So, what are you doing to the spark plug wires to hide them, and make them go through the covers? :shruggy: Same question about the distributor? :scratchchin:

This thread is really cool, and I am keeping my eye on it! :yesnod:

nitrometal

Quote from: WingCharger on April 14, 2009, 04:09:22 PM
So, what are you doing to the spark plug wires to hide them, and make them go through the covers? :shruggy: Same question about the distributor? :scratchchin:

This thread is really cool, and I am keeping my eye on it! :yesnod:

Wingcharger,

I'm glad that you're enjoying this.  I'm pretty confident that I can pull this off.

Well the plan is to keep the original valve covers on there (so that the oil stays where it belongs) I may have to massage them a bit. Does anyone want to trade the chrome Moroso valve covers for some original stamped steel ones (they can be rough/ugly as long as they can seal)?

Then I'll build an adapter plate that bolts to the B/RB head and upsizes to the hemi configuration. The hemi valve covers will be a empty shell. Then I can feed the wires normally through the hemi cover then through the adapter plate and back to the block in it's normal position.  If you look at the first picture vs. the others, the hemi valve covers are so massive they hide my headers and the rest of the block underneath there. You won't be able to see the plug wires snaking back down there.

As far as the distributor goes, I'll leave it where it's at.  Was it relocated on the hemi? From what I've seen it looks the same.  On early hemi's it was located on the back of the intake manifold.

Ghoste

The distributor was in the same place on the 426 as the other RB blocks.  Remeber it was just adapted for the Hemi head usage and other than that it's the same basic block architecture.
I have pics somewhere of a car where they had done exactly what you are so you shouldn't have much trouble.  I can try and dig them up if you think they'd be of any use to you.

WingCharger

I was thinking some dummy wires would run to the HEMI covers. That makes sense though. :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
I might do this one day to a car. :icon_smile_big:

hotrod98

I have a nice set of new hemi spark plug wires. I wonder if you could use the boots off of them and slide them over a set of regular plug wires. If you want them, just e-mail me your mailing address and I'll send them to you.

I wonder what's going to happen to the heat coming off of the headers. Will it be trapped up inside the covers or are you planning to add a piece in there?

Charles Addams

moparstuart

summit & jegs both also sell spark plug wire socks  ( an aspestos  style woven material ) It has saved me having to put a new set of plug wires on every year . Header really burn plug wires up , I love those socks .

hotrod98

Are those like baby booties for plug wires?  ;D

Charles Addams

b5blue

Very creative!  :2thumbs: why not run the wires to the Hemi spot then between the 2 sets of valve covers to the plugs. Since the 383 is lower just weld brackets to the (383) valve covers to hold the Hemi ones. Same thing for the intake, mill the bottom if it's not flat and use longer carb to intake bolts and it will act like a spacer sandwiched between the carb and 383 intake (if it lines up close) Have fun!!

nitrometal

Quote from: Ghoste on April 15, 2009, 10:40:20 AM
I have pics somewhere of a car where they had done exactly what you are so you shouldn't have much trouble.  I can try and dig them up if you think they'd be of any use to you.
Yes please Ghoste, I would love to see it, if it's not much trouble. Thanks!

Quote from: hotrod98 on April 15, 2009, 03:30:01 PM
I have a nice set of new hemi spark plug wires. I wonder if you could use the boots off of them and slide them over a set of regular plug wires. If you want them, just e-mail me your mailing address and I'll send them to you.

I wonder what's going to happen to the heat coming off of the headers. Will it be trapped up inside the covers or are you planning to add a piece in there?
Thanks Larry,  If you don't need the boots I'll send you my address.  I will have a solid plate so the heat won't get trapped in the covers.

Quote from: moparstuart on April 15, 2009, 04:35:19 PM
  summit & jegs both also sell spark plug wire socks  ( an aspestos  style woven material ) It has saved me having to put a new set of plug wires on every year . Header really burn plug wires up , I love those socks .

Yeah, the socks will work great and they won't be visible. Win win!

Quote from: b5blue on April 15, 2009, 07:12:37 PM
Very creative!  :2thumbs: why not run the wires to the Hemi spot then between the 2 sets of valve covers to the plugs. Since the 383 is lower just weld brackets to the (383) valve covers to hold the Hemi ones. Same thing for the intake, mill the bottom if it's not flat and use longer carb to intake bolts and it will act like a spacer sandwiched between the carb and 383 intake (if it lines up close) Have fun!!

Yes exactly, it's like a spacer.  I've already used the longer carb bolts and it worked, plus it lines everything up perfectly.  Now I just need to machine out some pieces to fill in the front and sides to make it look like it attaches to the intake manifold. I figure I'll leave the back end open so the heat won't build up in there.

Ghoste

I've been tearing my hair out looking for the pics of that car and so far nothing (naturally).  I've gone through my photo albums and most of the loose pics, if it doesn't turn up in the next box of loose photos I'll go to the negatives.  I called a buddy of mine yesterday who was with me when I saw the car and he clearly remembered but couldn't verify I had actually taken pics or provide me with any details of how it was done.   He said the car was yellow ::).  Anyway, I'm still looking and I've at least narrowed down the years, it had to be 2003 to 2005 and I found alot of pics to cars that I didn't know I had so I'm getting somewhere just not where I need to be to help you.

nitrometal

Quote from: Ghoste on April 20, 2009, 09:04:20 AM
I've been tearing my hair out looking for the pics of that car and so far nothing (naturally).

Hey Ghoste, don't go bald on account of me!   :pity:

Doug hasn't been able to find a contact for John Freeman either (he did this years ago).

I might have to do it through trial & error (probably more error than trial)!

b5blue

So your going to run your carb. ducted to the cowl and delete the wipers? The hole for the wiper motor may be big enough to feed the 383 that way you wouldn't have to cut anything up.Good Luck your crazy...LIKE US!!  :2thumbs:

nitrometal

Quote from: b5blue on April 24, 2009, 06:22:22 AM
So your going to run your carb. ducted to the cowl and delete the wipers? The hole for the wiper motor may be big enough to feed the 383 that way you wouldn't have to cut anything up.Good Luck your crazy...LIKE US!!  :2thumbs:

That's the plan.  But, I have to keep the wipers functional to keep it street legal and of course the motor is right in the way.  I need to relocate the wiper motor or go to a different set-up. Maybe something like the pre-30's hot rods have a universal motor that can be mounted in different locations.

Or I could do it like the Goldberg-Everham charity Superbird where they swooped the cowl induction to the side of the wiper motor and left it in its original location.  But I really don't like that look.

And yes, I am crazy!!!   :nana:

moparstuart

Quote from: nitrometal on April 24, 2009, 04:26:42 PM
Quote from: b5blue on April 24, 2009, 06:22:22 AM

That's the plan.  But, I have to keep the wipers functional to keep it street legal and of course the motor is right in the way.  I need to relocate the wiper motor or go to a different set-up. Maybe something like the pre-30's hot rods have a universal motor that can be mounted in different locations.

Or I could do it like the Goldberg-Everham charity Superbird where they swooped the cowl induction to the side of the wiper motor and left it in its original location.  But I really don't like that look.

And yes, I am crazy!!!   :nana:
couldnt you just cover it also fully and leave it open underneath to let it breath.
   why did they cut around it ?  to give it air ?  wont it breath from the back side ?

b5blue

Hey check out boating supply! They have neat wiper motors with a long shaft to poke through the frame of the windshield. There are also cable run types from Hot Rod shops. Nether are very expensive.  :scratchchin: My 53 Willys CJ3A had a vacuum operated on the drivers side and a hand crank one for the passengers side!  :smilielol: 

nitrometal

couldnt you just cover it also fully and leave it open underneath to let it breath.
   why did they cut around it ?  to give it air ?  wont it breath from the back side ?

You know, I thought about that.  Everything else is fake why not the cowl induction?!  The top cover of the air cleaner would completely hide the wiper motor.  It would be nice to have fresh cool air coming in from the cowl vents though. Maybe I can have both.  As you guys know there's not a whole lot of cool air entering through that puny nose grill.

Quote from: b5blue on April 24, 2009, 05:15:00 PM
Hey check out boating supply! They have neat wiper motors with a long shaft to poke through the frame of the windshield. There are also cable run types from Hot Rod shops. Nether are very expensive.  :scratchchin: My 53 Willys CJ3A had a vacuum operated on the drivers side and a hand crank one for the passengers side!  :smilielol: 

Now that's talking crazy!!!   :brickwall:

moparstuart

Quote from: nitrometal on April 26, 2009, 03:07:29 PM
Quotecouldnt you just cover it also fully and leave it open underneath to let it breath.

You know, I thought about that.  Everything else is fake why not the cowl induction?!  The top cover of the air cleaner would completely hide the wiper motor.  It would be nice to have fresh cool air coming in from the cowl vents though. Maybe I can have both.  As you guys know there's not a whole lot of cool air entering through that puny nose grill.

Quote from: b5blue on April 24, 2009, 05:15:00 PM

Now that's talking crazy!!!   :brickwall:
yeah i was thinking cut the cowl for air on the passenger side and leave the motor and just cover it so it looks like you have the full air cleaner cowl fresh air .